House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Democorruptcy

Christmas Ruined For Bradford Council Staff

Union fury over council Christmas job cuts

By Alan Jones, PA

Tuesday, 23 November 2010

Union leaders expressed fury today at the latest threat to thousands of council workers' jobs, warning that Christmas was being "ruined" by the Government's spending cuts.

Unite said that Bradford City Council has put thousands of workers at risk of redundancy under plans to axe a quarter of its workforce.

Letters have been issued to its entire workforce placing them at risk of redundancy, with the council planning to lose 2,000 jobs, said Unite.

The union demanded that the council retracts the notice and plans to hold a meeting with its members to discuss the next steps to oppose the threat to jobs.

Regional officer Ray Jones said: "This is a callous and totally unwarranted act by the council. The needless distress caused to at least 10,000 workers so close to Christmas is simply unacceptable and Unite is demanding that the council retracts the letter immediately.

"It is bad enough that the council intends to make 2,000 staff redundant but it has gone even further and ruined Christmas for its entire workforce who now don't know whether they have a job in the New Year or not.

"While the blame for this attack on public sector workers quite firmly lies at the Government's door, the council's approach has only made matters worse. Unite will meet with its members shortly to discuss the next steps to oppose the council's actions."

Unison said several councils in the North West, including Bury, East Cheshire, Cumbria, Sefton and Knowsley had warned of a total of 4,500 job losses as they look to make millions of pounds worth of savings.

"It is a very worrying time for our members and for the crucial services they provide," said a spokesman.

The GMB union said last week that almost 40,000 jobs had been threatened with the axe at around 30 local authorities in recent weeks.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/union-fury-over-council-christmas-job-cuts-2141427.html

2000/9500 = 21%

Would they all take a 21% pay cut instead and be in it together?

Better still scale it so that those who are paid the most or who have had the largest rises have their salary cut the most.

Problem is council workers..... um employees have obsene redundancy settlements. I posted on here recently about one council employee getting close to 60K in redundancy. They had only been there for a few years as well.

Wait a sec.... this is how hyperinflation is going to work! You make redundancy all your staff and give them incredible redundancy payments = money gets put into the system.

Loaf of bread 10^9^99999999 £.

They shouldnt worry about this XMAS, they all get reduncies payouts of 5-10 times their salary.

They should worry about xmas 2020, the poor lambs.

Erm, monthly salary, not annual, no?

Can't they just do what the police are doing in Manchester? no recruitment, early retirement on full pensions, no new staff when people leave. It is of course not possible to reduce or cut any senior management positions. One other option is to outsource all non-management jobs and the workers can then keep their jobs at the revise salary (NMW) paid by the private sector.

Someone needs to keep a track of the number of early retirees who then get another council job. Could some of the people at that council have redundancy letters that are very wet? Due to a saliva gland overload at the prospect of a redundancy/pension/new job? Maybe that's why they were ALL issued with letters?

A council chief who retired on a gold-plated £50,000-a-year pension on the grounds of ill-health walked into a new publicly funded £260,000 job four months later.

Yet despite sparking a fresh row over extravagant town hall salaries, Nick Johnson – who earns more than twice as much as the Prime Minister – insists his pay packet is ‘really not a lot’.

Mr Johnson, 57, is eligible for the full income from his final salary pension scheme because he left his £203,000 job as chief executive of Bexley Council in South London on health grounds.

Big earner: Nick Johnson makes a total of £310,000 a year - making him what is believed to be the highest-paid council-funded official in Britain

Under normal rules, he would have lost most of this when he landed his next job as head of a taxpayer-funded housing trust. But in a highly unusual move, he has avoided a financial penalty by receiving his income through his own private company, owned by himself and his girlfriend.

Mr Johnson receives a total of £310,000 a year – making him what is believed to be the highest-paid council-funded official in Britain.

Meanwhile his long-term partner Kate Davies, 54, is paid £197,000 a year as chief executive of another publicly financed housing association.

Disclosure of the salary has sparked renewed anger over taxpayer-funded fat cats, as nationwide town hall spending faces £8.6billion in cuts.

Mr Johnson's girlfriend Kate Davies is paid £197,000 a year as chief executive of another publicly financed housing association

Communities Secretary Eric Pickles said: ‘For too long people have been cashing in on the public sector gravy train, moving from one local authority body to another in a bid to hike up their pay.

'My message is simple – town hall executives on this money should do their bit and take a ten per cent pay cut.’

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1325261/Council-chief-quits-203k-job-50k-pension-lands-260k-job-keeps-pension.html

They shouldnt worry about this XMAS, they all get reduncies payouts of 5-10 times their salary.

They should worry about xmas 2020, the poor lambs.

How do you know.

I got one week per years service.

Whatever it is an incredible amount of money, private sector types get 0.5 weeks salary for every year worked over 2 years. Once they are over 21 they get 1 week, over 41 they get 1.5 weeks. Up to a max of £380 for each served year.

Council employees get substantially more.

Problem is council workers..... um employees have obsene redundancy settlements.

Not sure about that. The package as my wife's place is one week's pay per year worked.

Not sure about that. The package as my wife's place is one week's pay per year worked.

A 20 second google search came up with this

How is the redundancy payment calculated?

The payment is calculated using the statutory redundancy calculation table and then multiplying the result by three (for teachers, the statutory redundancy calculation is used). We use actual week's pay (annual salary divided by 52) rather than the statutory capped figure of a maximum of £380 per week. You can use the information in the 'calculating a redundancy payment' fact sheet (see downloads) to estimate what you would be entitled to. You can request a formal estimate from HR if you are 'at risk' of redundancy.

This quick search means council employees get 3 times as much as private sector types. And thats if private sector types get it in the first place rather than sacking employees just before the time they can claim it.

Whatever it is an incredible amount of money, private sector types get 0.5 weeks salary for every year worked over 2 years. Once they are over 21 they get 1 week, over 41 they get 1.5 weeks. Up to a max of £380 for each served year.

Council employees get substantially more.

£3800 for ten year's 'service', talk about raking it in..sheez

I feel another outraged letter to my mp coming on

Nice bunch of people, hope you get cancer and die a painful death on Christmas eve.

Why are you applauding extortion? Remember these transactions are not voluntary they are funded by force. I.e. gun pointing at people. Ergo it is evil and has no economic value since it cannot exist without stealing.

The NHS make sure "they are all in it together" when it comes to redundancies. Nice little redundancy leading to a better job in this as well

NHS bosses in line for redundancy packages worth up to £900,000

Sir Neil McKay, 58, head of East of England SHA is entitled to a total payment of about £900,000, while Sir Ian Carruthers, 59, chief executive of South West SHA could receive more than £850,000.

Most of those running England's 152 PCTs will be entitled to redundancy deals of more than £200,000, under an NHS deal which gives them one month's pay for every year worked – four times the legal minimum.

Ruth Carnall, now chief executive of London SHA, which is set for abolition, received a six-figure redundancy package the last time regional NHS bodies were restructured, in 2004. After working in consultancy for two years, much of it for the NHS, she was put in charge of London SHA and now earns £255,000 – twice the amount she was paid before the redundancy.

Ms Carnall now has a pension pot worth £1.9 million , while Sir Neil, who earns £235,00 a year, and Sir Ian, on £215,000, both have total pensions valued at more than £2.4 million, allowing them all access to significant lump sums on retirement.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthnews/7896346/NHS-bosses-in-line-for-redundancy-packages-worth-up-to-900000.html

Nice bunch of people, hope you get cancer and die a painful death on Christmas eve.

Go and find some money to keep these people in a job.

Well I think it's outrageous that people's Christmas is being spoilt.

Better to tell them in January when they're up to the eyes in Christmas debt.

I really wonder about people sometimes - they've not been fired, but are just getting warned that there are risks to their job. Personally I'd much rather get some advanced warning than a call into the personel office at 5pm on a Friday. Instead the unions just complain about Christmas being spoilt.

I really wonder about people sometimes - they've not been fired, but are just getting warned that there are risks to their job. Personally I'd much rather get some advanced warning than a call into the personel office at 5pm on a Friday. Instead the unions just complain about Christmas being spoilt.

Actually it is saving them from blowing all of their savings on Christmas. I would certainly rather be told before Christmas, as I was last year.

Yeah I mean life is even worse. Somebody says "mind that bus!"

"What bus?"

*Splat*