House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hip to be bear

William And Kate's Discount Wedding

So William and Kate have announced the date: Friday 29th of April 2011. The BBC is at pains to point out that the cost will be covered by the Royal Family and the Middleton family. Good for them that they have arranged it on a Friday...... presumably they will get a good 'weekday discount' from the caterers which will help them to save a few quid!!!!!!

Unfortunately, given that the rest of the country will get a day off to celebrate with them too as it is a Friday and has been declared a public holiday, the cost to the economy as a whole will be massive compared with them getting married on a Saturday. Most employers will have to pay their staff to have a day off. Another working day will be lost and our eficit will grow further despite the positive impact of the wedding..

I have no way of calculating the cost of this decision,(though others might), but almost half of one percent of productive working days in 2011 will be lost as a result of them getting married on a Friday, despite their assurances at the time of the announcement of the engagement that they were conscious of the wider economic climate.

Am I being a miserable git, or has someone made a real boob?

(PS. I am a royalist, so this is not an anti monarchy rant, but as an employer I am a tad miffed!)

I thought it odd that they thought a bank holiday would be a good idea whilst simultaneously being sympathetic to the need for an austerity wedding given the economic climate.

I think they should just slip quietly along for a McDonalds wedding.

Still, I'm sure Hello will pay a fortune for this one, and the TV rights must be worth a few quid. Then think of all the souvenirs that have already been made that would need to be landfilled if they didn't get married.

If they issue a special commemorative silver bullet coin at least that will help take down JP Morgan.

Am I being a miserable git, or has someone made a real boob?

(PS. I am a royalist, so this is not an anti monarchy rant, but as an employer I am a tad miffed!)

Move to Scotland they are still swithering about whether to give us the day off.

It wasn't deleted, just moved, it is still available to be debated, what's the problem?

I wouldn't want to sully the revered HPC OT with shabby economic threads! I would get accused of trolling!!!

It wasn't deleted, just moved, it is still available to be debated, what's the problem?

I was just about to say when I saw the title of this thread, so thats how you get a news story to stay in the main board. How about "The economic effect of the North Korean strikes"?

We don't have to get every single news story on the front page of HPC board despite how you word it. This kind of thing reminds me of examiners from school talking about bad exam answers and students who write the answer to the question they wanted to see instead of the one being asked: "Rather than talk about the effect of the multiplier, I thought it prudent to first list the advantages of being a limited liability company 1)..."

Stop dumping irrelevant stories in the main forum just because they happen to be on the news at the moment, the rephrasing "to fit" fools nobody.

Effect of mining rescues on local house prices?

FFS man get a grip. It's the school holidays after the Easter break and after the long haul since the Christmas break.

Half the country would have taken it off regardless. It will have limited impact if any.

Don't worry. Everyone with the day off will watch the wedding over lunch, then buy a house in the afternoon. Royal weddings are good for houseprices, donchaknow.

i think its a calculated date given to them by the Government

/tin hat on

its the best forward planning in UK government history ever.

it gives them exactly 4 weeks from the end of the financial year to see if the books balance, if they dont and instead of forcing a bank holiday, we have one, and whilst everyone is watching the ceremony the government and the banks will be hiding the money else where, sand hurridly doing stuff to stop thecountry realising were fooked

if the books balance, no harm no foul

/tin hat off

The day the wedding was announced the international boradcast and printed press was awash with the news and it was on page one in many countries. That advertising would have cost a fortune and it wasn't 'look at the what the funny british are up to now.

The UK does well out of its quaint and quirky history retained in a modern age, that the previous Labour lot seemed to want to erase at every opportunity for Cool Brittania.

The wedding won't do much for me personally and I feel sorry for the couple having to puyt on the show, but for the UK it will be good PR, and I would imagine, though I don't know, that it will generate more inward revenue than it costs to put on.