Sign in to follow this  
apom

Average Salary?

We are told that the average salary is £27,000

now this article

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4242744.stm

Large bills 'make saving tricky'

says that..

The average worker earns £1,389 a month of which £1,093 goes on bills and food, the Combined Insurance survey found.

now I take home more then that and I earn less then the above.

can anyone do the sums...

are we being told that others are richer then they are..

now this article

says that..

The average worker earns £1,389 a month of which £1,093 goes on bills and food, the Combined Insurance survey found.

When they say the worker earns £1,389 a month and spends £1,093 on bills and food I am assuming they are talking about £1,389 net income a month - which gives a net annual income of £16,668.

I don't know what that would be as a gross income but not I suspect £27,000 <_<

When they say the worker earns £1,389 a month and spends £1,093 on bills and food I am assuming they are talking about £1,389 net income a month - which gives a net annual income of £16,668.

I don't know what that would be as a gross income but not I suspect £27,000  <_<

I thought net.. at first.. but then they said about the over a grand in bills... and you wouldn't have that much left..

What the hell are they living on..

after all my outgoings I am left with £600 a month..

A large amount.. but outstripped by mewers... who now face the above costs..

bless them

Guest Bart of Darkness

£16,668 sounds like a more realistic average salery than £27000.

The Halifax house price figures are based on these numbers, 2004/Q4, average house P=£161,288, P/E=5.55, E=£29,061. And ONS publish the AE Index (but I can’t find the actual £!) that is almost exactly proportional to the Halifax E. :unsure:

£16,668 sounds like a more realistic average salery than £27000.

Yeh i don't know how or where they get these figures from but around £17k does seem far more sensible average.

Do they ever release any information about where they take the sample from?

I dont know anyone starting or earning around those sorts of incomes.

its impossible to get an 'average' wage for the uk as we are regionally diverse.

in bradford 17k is very good.

in basingstoke 27k is probably poor.

its a vested scam to try to get average house prices up to the cheaper parts of the UK on less than average wages under the guise of..."its averaged priced".

and then i noticed...the link was from the bbc of course. now it makes sense/.. :angry:

I really doubt that the average salary is £27,000 nationally. Even if it is, it is always distorted by the top end who earn mega-bucks. I would expect the typical salary to be much lower.

The figures used in the BBC would give a salary of about £22k, which is nearer the mark, but I doubt it is typical out of the south east.

The UK average wage is tracked by the ONS AEI, index=100 in 2000; what we don’t yet have is the £/Index ratio. Halifax in their house price data assume that it was £29061 in Q4/2004. This seems high to me, but that’s the figure they actually use.

Or the median salary.

In London £27k is not that high (I won't say it's low either - it's certainly enough to live on). I'd like to see the distribution of salaries and London vs Everywhere Else.

now this article

says that..

Well, as shown below in the other posts, it's only a couple of hundred out per month based on a 27k salary. And that difference would easily be eaten by a pension contribution (in fact that amount of contribution is going to buy you a pretty poor pension...)

Still, no problem, as everyone in the UK is going to 'cash in on my property to fund my retirement', aren't they? That's what I got when I asked a couple of guys in the office yesterday why they had no investments for their old-age...

Nomadd

ONS New Earnings Survey April 2003

press release: http://www.statistics.gov.uk/pdfdir/nes1003.pdf

Average earnings, full time work, full time rates:

- Men £28,056

- Women £20,314

- All £25,170

In Q1/2003

- AE Index=113.5

- HBOS earning=£27,921 (used for their price/earnings ratio)

Edited by spline

Are the BBC confusing Mean with Median? I think the median round here is about 17k - well below the average! Also, have sometimes seen 'salary' mixed up with 'household income' in the media.

Perhaps Radical Statistics have something on this?

Edited by gruffydd

Are the BBC confusing Mean with Median? I think the median round here is about 17k - well below the average! Also, have sometimes seen 'salary' mixed up with 'household income' in the media.

Perhaps Radical Statistics have something on this?

The ONS used to have some pretty indepth data on income distributions, but it's either gone or well hidden, they still publish the percentiles, they used to issue a breakdown of all income bands, IIRC there is a huge cluster around £15-16k and around £22-23k, these form the two largest components.

The ONS used to have some pretty indepth data on income distributions, but it's either gone or well hidden, they still publish the percentiles, they used to issue a breakdown of all income bands, IIRC there is a huge cluster around £15-16k and around £22-23k, these form the two largest components.

Just requested the mean, modal and median average wages in the country from the government statistics office..

I will post when they arrive... :)

should be interesting..

In the mean time, these are some quick plots of the distribution (Full-time, adult rates, All Male) from NES 2003, Table A27.

Cumulative Earnings

donajn.jpg

and Density Distribution (skewed as expected :), arbitrary vertical scale)

donaqb.jpg

Edit: explanation added later

The average joe gets £16k-£17k (peak density), the 50%-iles get £22.5k (density centre-point), the average is about £28k (density pivot point); the fat-cats and footballers skew the distribution to the right and push the average up.

This BTW was in April 2003. :)

Edited by spline

On the basis of those figures less than 10% of UK earners could get a mortgage on a typical house in Dagenham these days on the basis of a single salary (assuming no equity/deposit of course). What a state things have got to!

This topic has been revisited many times. I too am sure 25, 26, 27k or whatever it is may be a mean average but it's certainly not the 'average person in the street' salary.

Think about it - walk through the local town centre and what sort of jobs are being done? Shop assistants by the hundred on slave wage 10.5k salaries, retail managers on 16-22k tops.

Walk through the edge of town business park - most office staff earn £12-18k, with the odd £30-50k middle manager.

Walk through the average school - after several years teachers may be approaching the mean average wage, but what about the classrom assistants, cleaners, school office staff, classroom assistants? £11-16k all the way!

The truth is that the house we currently rent would have been the first home of Fred the warehouse man and Doris the part time cleaner in 1999. It would now need a single person's salary of at least 50k with a sensible multiple, or a young professional couple with sizable incomes.

It's hard to express the extent of the economic brutalisation suffered by the population under NuLabour.