House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mrs Bear

'i've Got The Phone You Lost...'

Article in today's Times: 'How to lose a phone and find a cad.'

Female friend of the journo lost her phone, called the number to see if anyone had found it.

Then as title.

"And yet physically (if not morally) the man in possession of my friend's phone was not an obvious lowlife. He wasn't some flicker-eyed kid ferreting out opportunities for petty crime. Nor did he appear to be an addict with a habit to feed. Mid-twenties, well-dressed, fairly well-spoken...

Second, this man admitted that he had watched as she dropped her phone on to the pavement while getting into her car. He hadn't chanced upon it by accident. ''I saw you drop your phone,' he said. 'I thought you'd want it back.'

...as is by now obvious, this man couldn't see any problem with what he was doing. ...

Picking up on her curt attitude, he said, 'I'm not robbing you or anything, you know. I just think I should get some reward.'

'No', my friend said, 'robbing me is exactly what you're doing. When you find someone else's property you don't charge them to give it back.'

It was clear, my friend said, that this was not a point of view this chap had considered."

She paid up.

It'd be nice to think of this little toe-rag getting his own phone nicked half an hour later - and maybe getting beaten up as a bonus. :)

Maybe he works in banking.

Possibly. But to me it's just another example of the "fook you" society we have. What's in it for me? Someone stupid enough to drop their phone. That's not an opportunity to demonstrate kindness, that's a financial opportunity for me. Fabulous, special, better than anyone else me...

A slight contra-story

My wife found a phone in the street a few weeks ago. She found the name "mum" in the address book and so rang it to say she'd found this phone and where it could be collected from (her workplace).

It's still there. Is this a sign of our consumerist times?

I think we have an offence of Bribery here.

Its a bit like the kid kicking a ball in the neighbours garden.

the man doesnt own the ball, but he can stop the kid coming to get it, and he doesnt have to lift a finger to throw it back.

But, moving the garden to catch the falling ball would be a different story.

Article in today's Times: 'How to lose a phone and find a cad.'

Simple case of theft isn't it? He has the phone, she thought it was stolen.

The guy is a sh1tbag but you have to admire his waiting to be called.

I found a wallet in tesco last year, had quite a lot of cash in it, cards, driving license, work i.d etc etc and the guys Hong Kong i.d (passport).

wasnt prepared to leave it will the chimps in tesc because of the amount of cash inside.

All that was in there of any use was a receipt from a letting agent so I called them. Talk about 3rd degree, obviosly thought i was involved in some sort of scam and were too stupid to understand what was being said.

Eventually I got the guys address and told the LA's to let him know that I would use a £5 from his wallet to send it back special delivery and to let him know so he didnt panic and cancel his cards because that is a royal pain in the ar5e.

Had a nightmare trying to post the sodding thing and it cost me over £6.

All that running around and it ended up costing me money, proof that no good deed goes unpunished.

I think we have an offence of Bribery here.

Its a bit like the kid kicking a ball in the neighbours garden.

the man doesnt own the ball, but he can stop the kid coming to get it, and he doesnt have to lift a finger to throw it back.

But, moving the garden to catch the falling ball would be a different story.

No, it's not really like your ball/garden scenario. The differences are that the phone was not dropped in the man's property and he went out of his way to pick it up, so preventing anyone else from returning the phone for free. A neighbour might feel justified in teaching a child a lesson by withholding a ball for a while - particularly if the ball was regularly kicked over the fence and had caused nuisance or damage.

I don't think it's bribery - more like extortion. Why didn't the woman ask her journo friend to come along with a photographer? I am sure the threat of posting the phone finder's face in the media might have straightened his attitude out. A little bit of revenge goes a long way...

No, it's not really like your ball/garden scenario. The differences are that the phone was not dropped in the man's property and he went out of his way to pick it up, so preventing anyone else from returning the phone for free. A neighbour might feel justified in teaching a child a lesson by withholding a ball for a while - particularly if the ball was regularly kicked over the fence and had caused nuisance or damage.

I don't think it's bribery - more like extortion. Why didn't the woman ask her journo friend to come along with a photographer? I am sure the threat of posting the phone finder's face in the media might have straightened his attitude out. A little bit of revenge goes a long way...

if he saw her drop it and waited to pick it up then it is theft imo.

Finding and keeping a wallet is theft by find.

You admire that? Why?

I dont know, too much yank tv?

I found a phone once and called a couple of numbers from the memory to explain. That was a pain in the backside getting that returned too.

I dont know, too much yank tv?

I found a phone once and called a couple of numbers from the memory to explain. That was a pain in the backside getting that returned too.

You returning wallets and phones is very commendable - really. I would have dropped the items in at the local police station and let them do the work. Agree with your thoughts about not leaving the wallet with Tesco's staff - being presented with a nice fat wallet would be quite tempting I would have thought on their wages ;)

You returning wallets and phones is very commendable - really. I would have dropped the items in at the local police station and let them do the work. Agree with your thoughts about not leaving the wallet with Tesco's staff - being presented with a nice fat wallet would be quite tempting I would have thought on their wages  ;)

I found a new iPhone in the park in the summer and decided neither to leave it with the park warden or the police as neither could be trusted to make the effort to track down the owner. So I called a couple of numbers on the phone and managed to track down the owner. She'd just got the phone a couple of days earlier as part of her new job and was extremely grateful and met me in the park to pick it up. Would've been nice if she'd offered to buy my kids a couple of ice creams in return though.   :rolleyes: 

ETA: Similarly, a year earlier my son and I found another phone - called the owner's home number and it was a youngster who'd lost his phone on his paper round. We actually took it round to his house as we were nearby - despite protestations the owner's dad insisted that my son take a few of quid's reward, which was nice.  

A slight contra-story

My wife found a phone in the street a few weeks ago. She found the name "mum" in the address book and so rang it to say she'd found this phone and where it could be collected from (her workplace).

It's still there. Is this a sign of our consumerist times?

No, a lot of people take out insurance with their phone contracts. No big deal to get a replacement.

In fact it's easier to get a replacement, as it will be sent to you rather than you having to collect it.

On a similar note I once found a phone. Called round a lot of the numbers and nobody seemed to know who the number was ?!

Later that day the guy called up and starting going off at me for having his phone. I quickly pointe dout that I was trying to do the **** a favour. He quickly calmed down and I dropped it off later at the hotel he was staying.

So this can go 2 ways too. Some ungrateful ***** will shout absue at you before any listening to what you have to say. ANd if you had kept teh phone with no intention to give back you certainly wouldn't be answering any phones on it would you !!

Guy was prob not the sharpest tool in hte box.

I found a phone in a taxi about 3 weeks ago.

Text the last chap that was text and called and then got a call back. Met him at a trainstation and handed it over, he gave me £10 for my effort. I could have been nasty and put some rather explicit pictures of his misses (probably a 7 out of 10) all over the internet but I'm better than that :)

No, a lot of people take out insurance with their phone contracts. No big deal to get a replacement.

In fact it's easier to get a replacement, as it will be sent to you rather than you having to collect it.

it's not the phone that is the issue but the numbers, photo's and data on it.

just like losing a wallet is far worse than losing the cash in it.

I once found a Spanish ID card on the street in Soho. I took it to the police (which took ages) and they said it would be forwarded to the Spanish embassy. A couple of months later I was watching an episode of Airline and saw Pavo (that was his name) turn up at the airport without any ID and try and get on an easyJet flight to Barcelona. Eventually they let him leave after faxing various authorities in Spain. It made me realise how much of everyone's time the oblivious muppet had wasted.

I once found a Spanish ID card on the street in Soho. I took it to the police (which took ages) and they said it would be forwarded to the Spanish embassy. A couple of months later I was watching an episode of Airline and saw Pavo (that was his name) turn up at the airport without any ID and try and get on an easyJet flight to Barcelona. Eventually they let him leave after faxing various authorities in Spain. It made me realise how much of everyone's time the oblivious muppet had wasted.

It's not Pavo's fault that the authorities require us to carry around several bits of paper just to get anywhere, and that the authorities themselves make it difficult to replace them. Why not have passports that we can print out on a laser printer, at least within the EU? These days passports are just used to load up a centrally-stored file on the border guard's computer anyway.

who? pavo or the copper that lobbed his i.d in a drawer and forgot about it?

It's not Pavo's fault that the authorities require us to carry around several bits of paper just to get anywhere, and that the authorities themselves make it difficult to replace them. Why not have passports that we can print out on a laser printer, at least within the EU? These days passports are just used to load up a centrally-stored file on the border guard's computer anyway.

Why not a micro-chip implanted beneath the skin? ;)

I think you'll find its theft as defined under Secs 1 and 2 of the Theft Act 1968.

1.-(1) A person is guilty of theft if he dishonestly appropriates property belonging to another with the intention of permanently depriving the other of it; and "thief" and "steal" shall be construed accordingly.

(2) It is immaterial whether the appropriation is made with a view to gain, or is made for the thief's own benefit.

that would be schengen then, no passport required most of the time, ironically the uk arent members