House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Topher Bear

North / South Korea Kicking Off

Just hearing of artilary fire, injured soldiers and damaged houses. Is this the start or will they calm it down again? Any market reactions?

WTF!!!

North Korea has fired artillery shells across its western maritime border, prompting return fire from South Korea, officials say.

Dozens of the shells landed on a South Korean island, from which plumes of smoke are rising. At least four soldiers are said to have been hurt.

South Korea has issued its highest non-wartime alert in response.

Correspondents say this is one of the most serious incidents between the two since the Korean War in the 1950s.

Top leaders are meeting in an underground bunker in Seoul over the incident, Reuters news agency reported.

The incident comes days after North Korea revealed it had a modern uranium enrichment plant - potentially giving it a second route to a nuclear weapon.

Earlier, the US ruled out more denuclearisation talks while Pyongyang continued to work on the facility.

'Illegal firing'

South Korean officials said artillery rounds landed on Yeonpyeong island, near the disputed inter-Korean maritime border to the west of the Korean Peninsula.

"A North Korean artillery unit staged an illegal firing provocation at 1434 PM (0534 GMT) and South Korean troops fired back immediately in self-defence," a defence ministry spokesman told AFP.

A resident on the island told the agency that dozens of houses were damaged, while television pictures reportedly showed plumes of smoke rising above the island.

"Houses and mountains are on fire and people are evacuating. You can't see very well because of plumes of smoke," a witness on the island told YTN television station.

"People are frightened to death and shelling continues as we speak," the witness said.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-11818005

Forget Ireland...Black day thread any one?

Damp squibb so far. Hardly any moves other than Asian stocks which is more to do with Chinese inflation issues.

Russia might start sabre rattling as they denounce Japan and S Korea.

Last Updated 07:36 23/11/2010

Adam Arnold, Sky News Online

South Korea says it has returned fire after claiming around 200 North Korean artillery rounds hit one of its islands.

Seoul says the country is on its highest non-wartime alert and F16 fighter jets have been scrambled to the location.

At least South Korean 14 soldiers were reportedly hurt, including four seriously, and around 60 to 70 houses were ablaze after the shelling.

The rounds landed on Yeonpyeong island and also went into the sea near the countries' disputed western border.

South Korea says its troops then returned fire.

South Korean President Lee Myung-bak has held an emergency meeting following the incident.

He said he was trying to prevent the exchange of artillery fire from escalating into a greater conflict.

YTN television reported that Seoul had warned of a stronger response if the North continued with provocations.

China has expressed concern over the exchange of fire and urged the two sides to work toward peace and stability on the Korean peninsula.

Between 1,200 and 1,300 people reportedly live on the island. TV pictures showed smoke rising from the location.

Sky's Holly Williams said: "We do see skirmishes from time to time in the Yellow Sea, which lies off the western coast of the Korea peninsula, but this is different.

"Civilians are involved. It is bigger in scale than the skirmishes we normally see."

She added: "Normally when this sort of aggression takes place started by the North we tend to assume it is something to do with dictator Kim Jong-il's own position domestically.

"Perhaps he is having to shore up his own position. We know he has been ill in recent years and perhaps also weakened politically. There will be speculation this is more of the same."

The firing comes amid tension over North Korea's claim that it has a new uranium enrichment facility.

The countries' western maritime boundary has long been a flash point between the two Koreas.

The North does not recognise the border that was unilaterally drawn by the United Nations at the end of the 1950-53 Korean War.

North and South Korea have fought three bloody skirmishes near the maritime border in recent years, most recently in November 2009.

Let's hope china and the USA can calm things without getting involved. Thank god McCain never won the US presidency!

I'm sure it's someone just having a bit of a paddy and wanting some attention.

Kim Jong Ill does like to kick things up now and then. The South takes a hell of a lot of shit from him. Just last year they sunk a south Korean ship killing several people.

Let's hope china and the USA can calm things without getting involved. Thank god McCain never won the US presidency!

Yes , i remember watching the debates in late 07/early 08 and he called the vietnamese 'gooks' a few times.

Got a chip on his shoulder even though he was treated far better than the other grunts in the Vietnam war (his father was high up or something)

China is in an interesting position. Although NK is technically an ally, it's an embarrassing and unstable one. And although the idea of a unified Korea up to the border could be problematic, being a US ally, it would also be easier to threaten - SK can almost certainly handle the NK army, but not the Red army. So an implosion of NK could end up with China having more overall influence over the peninsular, less of a refugee crisis and remove a diplomatic problem.

And if you think NK can win.. I don't believe it can. It may have a lot of hardware but there is no economic base to back it up, and in modern warfare big-ticket hardware is best known as 'target practice'.

200 missiles? Is it just an incident, or is it 200 incidents? Could it be the "old asian conflict" or something like that, what Baba Vanga pedicted for november this year? Or is it just me losing it? :blink:

Alex Jones will be all over this, and his trained monkey (who sells gold) will be screaming 'buy gold' like there's no tomorrow (which would make buying gold pointless)

Yes , i remember watching the debates in late 07/early 08 and he called the vietnamese 'gooks' a few times.

Got a chip on his shoulder even though he was treated far better than the other grunts in the Vietnam war (his father was high up or something)

He was a pilot IIRC and got captured by the VC after he was shot down. You could tell by the way he spoke and acted that he was not the man you want in control of the worlds biggest super power. I have to admit I breathed a big sigh of relief when Obama won.

China is in an interesting position. Although NK is technically an ally, it's an embarrassing and unstable one. And although the idea of a unified Korea up to the border could be problematic, being a US ally, it would also be easier to threaten - SK can almost certainly handle the NK army, but not the Red army. So an implosion of NK could end up with China having more overall influence over the peninsular, less of a refugee crisis and remove a diplomatic problem.

And if you think NK can win.. I don't believe it can. It may have a lot of hardware but there is no economic base to back it up, and in modern warfare big-ticket hardware is best known as 'target practice'.

Could China be orchestrating this? .

NK has been systematically ratcheting up military actions for about a year now. There does not seem to be any advantage or reason for it. Except for China.

Could China be orchestrating this? .

NK has been systematically ratcheting up military actions for about a year now. There does not seem to be any advantage or reason for it. Except for China.

To some extent, if they don't cause trouble they don't get attention. I think that if China had that much influence then NK would be more open; for a start there may be some decent oil exploration prospects [NB: No oil actually found]

The two Korea's quite often have a dig at each other, it is only the big events that get reported.

Simply posturing by the North to give the protégée some brownie points and pin a few medals to the (28 year olds) chest.

Very much for internal consumption where as always it will be reported as the nasty South attacking the glorious leader's forces and being repelled.

You will be able to tell at a stoke when something significant happens as Seoul will have been turned to glass.

For 40 years, the US and Soviet Union worked out their differences via proxy wars in buffer states. I sense that China will take the same approach, especially as (1) they build up the regional military capacity and (2) they try to implement their goal of pacific basin hegemony.

Just hearing of artilary fire, injured soldiers and damaged houses. Is this the start or will they calm it down again? Any market reactions?

What beautiful timing, just as we in the West are about to go into major financial panic mode.

If I was feeling at all paranoid at the moment,I would say this was a very good day to bury very bad news. A bit like the negative version of a Royal wedding in fact.

Internal politics? the old man's retiring, is he not

You have it in one.

He is ill.

The Generals are jockeying for position. The hardliners are in the ascendency, so they are having a brinkmanship contest to see which hardliner is the hardest, so one of them let off 200 artillery shells onto disputed territories as a look at me im mental i am moment. :) He must be.

India deploys 36,000 extra troops along Chinese border

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-south-asia-11818840

India has deployed two new army divisions - comprising more than 36,000 men - to defend the north-eastern state of Arunachal Pradesh.

The remote north-eastern state adjoins China which claims large parts of it.

The 56th Division will be based in the nearby state of Nagaland to guard the eastern flank of Arunachal Pradesh from Chinese attack through Burma.

The other new formation, the 71st Division, will be based in Assam to protect central Arunachal Pradesh.

There has been no response so far from China to the new deployments.

What beautiful timing, just as we in the West are about to go into major financial panic mode.

If I was feeling at all paranoid at the moment,I would say this was a very good day to bury very bad news. A bit like the negative version of a Royal wedding in fact.

Well if that was the plan in Japan its not working. Incredibly there are no pics of this on the Yahoo News Japan front page although it is the 1st headline.

Japan News

I rather think if the west coast of Ireland was being shelled it would at least warrant a small pic on Yahoo News UK.

The two Korea's quite often have a dig at each other, it is only the big events that get reported.

Simply posturing by the North to give the protégée some brownie points and pin a few medals to the (28 year olds) chest.

Very much for internal consumption where as always it will be reported as the nasty South attacking the glorious leader's forces and being repelled.

You will be able to tell at a stoke when something significant happens as Seoul will have been turned to glass.

This is the biggest exchange the countries have had since the ceasefire in the last episode of M*A*S*H :blink:

South Korea just can't sit there with a neighbour lobbing bombs over every now and then - they have to do something such as, I don't know, bailing them out to the tune of several billion!