House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
brassed off brit

Newsnight

ok, first time for everything, seems the british press finally get what is happenning and are openely discussing the possability of another final collapse. weimar republic and printing presses mentioned, even will hutton seemed resighned to another round of " trouble" did not even putup a fight. other dude was was calm relaxed and incitefull, american girl seemed over the moon that the euro was the currency or "area" in doubt.

talk of splitting the euro into a good area and a bad area.................

excuse the spelling, been spending my ever more worthless paper on alcahol tainted water.

Yes, just watched it.

As many predicted on here a couple of years ago - until booed off - it does seem as if inflation is going to be the answer.

I helped to boo them as loudly as anyone - I was adamant that we could not inflate our way out of the mess - on the basis that we were uncompetitive enough in the global economy already.

But, of course, the inflation is going to be global - or at least Western. The party will continue and we are going to have inflation and low interest rates for a few years until things are manageable.

As Irving Seltzer said; 'we'll lend you our printing presses'.

Its nice to hear someone here admit this and acknowledge they got it wrong.

And what about index-linked certs?? I have £11k in them - if inflation goes skyward, is the value of that investment REALLY going to keep pace with inflation, do you reckon?

So admit it - who's thinking about buying gold now? I signed up to bullionvault a while ago, been having a look. Still not sure. Wouldn't trust the purchase of 'real' gold as somebody could sell it to me and it could be fake. Would be tempted to just use my non-inflation protected savings on paying off my student loan (in fact I've been overpaying by ~£400 a month).

Guest eight

And what about index-linked certs?? I have £11k in them - if inflation goes skyward, is the value of that investment REALLY going to keep pace with inflation, do you reckon?

So admit it - who's thinking about buying gold now? I signed up to bullionvault a while ago, been having a look. Still not sure. Wouldn't trust the purchase of 'real' gold as somebody could sell it to me and it could be fake. Would be tempted to just use my non-inflation protected savings on paying off my student loan (in fact I've been overpaying by ~£400 a month).

Why not buy a house?

eight

Maybe if the price is right and I can get a mortgage - don't want to be hunkered down in possibly bad times. Will see what happens - my scope for buying doesn't come around for another year or two. I *know* I should be saving but I'm sick of seeing the money doing nothing - some is in index-linked certs, some in savings account, some in shares (not doing great short-term). Might as well use some to do something useful - pay down debt! (As craaaaazy as some may find that lol)

Snip>

As many predicted on here a couple of years ago - until booed off - it does seem as if inflation is going to be the answer.

The problem being, we will see a corresponding increase in wages, and then house prices will rocket upwards.

It would make sense to 'max-out' on the loans now, and wait for them to be eroded away.

Maybe if the price is right and I can get a mortgage - don't want to be hunkered down in possibly bad times. Will see what happens - my scope for buying doesn't come around for another year or two. I *know* I should be saving but I'm sick of seeing the money doing nothing - some is in index-linked certs, some in savings account, some in shares (not doing great short-term). Might as well use some to do something useful - pay down debt! (As craaaaazy as some may find that lol)

You are going to pay down debt.. by getting a mortgage...? :unsure:

Its nice to hear someone here admit this and acknowledge they got it wrong.

Add me to the "I was wrong group". I expected deflation as credit destruction would outweigh any printed money. That phase lasted much less than I thought possible. I seriously underestimated our leaders/bankers preference for short term appearances over economic implosion.

All I see now is printing, they cant resist. On zero hedge today, I see the Fed now holds more dollars than China or Japan. They are just blatantly printing to buy up anything now.

Buy some guitars mate.

A win win.

I'm buying like mad at the moment.

Lots of forced sellers of guitars about. :)

Buy some guitars mate.

A win win.

I'm buying like mad at the moment.

Lots of forced sellers of guitars about. :)

I'm looking at buying guitars for investment. Do you recommend big name top end classical guitars or specific vintage electric or others?

Any pointers on where to look for guitar investment discussions?

I'm looking at buying guitars for investment. Do you recommend big name top end classical guitars or specific vintage electric or others?

Any pointers on where to look for guitar investment discussions?

Anything owned by JMH, even if broken and charred.

Anything owned by JMH, even if broken and charred.

Thanks for the recommendation but that would create some imbalance in my portfolio and I don't know if I can sell parts individually instead of silver coins. Anything a bit more downmarket or should I play it by investing in Hard Rock Cafe?

The first guitar torched on stage by Jimi Hendrix has been sold for £280,000 a London auction of rock memorabilia.

The Fender Stratocaster, burnt at the end of a show in north London in 1967, was bought by collector Daniel Boucher from Boston, Massachusetts.