House Price Crash Forum
Tenubracon

Buy To Let Landlords Enjoy Fat Profits From The Mortgage Famine

Crikey, I'm not sure I believe that! I had no trouble finding a rented place when I moved, and it 's cheaper than my last one! :blink:

It's just the VI's party line of the moment.

Tap you grandparents for their life savings and buy now - you know it makes sense :lol:.

They really are shameless. Who was it on here who said that selling your grandmother used to be an insult?

They really are shameless. Who was it on here who said that selling your grandmother used to be an insult?

Ah, that were me. You should rent her out instead.

to be fair i'm not sure it will make the print edition. it's a blog on the telegraph site.

there's some proper bullsh1t in there, mind, like a straight-faced, plaintive, plea that "throttling lending" will mean that "[presumably purchase rather than rental] prices are kept high".

Edited by the flying pig

Let me summarise it for you:

Scaremongering bullshit! ;)

Uh, you are are aware that the rental and sales markets are contracyclical? Those being rivalrous goods and all that? Why isn't this a sign of the HPC you've all been longing for, or have you just not thought through the consequences of a collapse in the sales market?

Uh, you are are aware that the rental and sales markets are contracyclical? Those being rivalrous goods and all that? Why isn't this a sign of the HPC you've all been longing for, or have you just not thought through the consequences of a collapse in the sales market?

I agree and tbh wouldn't be too concerned with paying a little extra rent (although I'm not) for a year or two if it means I can get a house 20-30% cheaper at the end.

Only in ceteris paribus, as in feckinhh sh!ting crisis everything is sh!ting fecked. :)

I really don't know if some of you people aren't being facetious. If we're living in the last days of Rome why on earth are you worried about house prices of all things?

I really don't know if some of you people aren't being facetious. If we're living in the last days of Rome why on earth are you worried about house prices of all things?

Not "the last days of Rome", just some 10% or 20% fall in (real) purchasing power across the board in the next couple of years.

Edited by Tired of Waiting

Not "the last days of Rome", just some 10% or 20% fall in (real) purchasing power across the board in the next couple of years.

That's just it, the destruction of 30+% of the capital stock of the country would require a social and economic disaster. WWII was barely that costly.

That's just it, the destruction of 30+% of the capital stock of the country would require a social and economic disaster. WWII was barely that costly.

I have to agree having had a similar discussion with someone in 2003. Such a drop is entirely possible but it'll be a meltdown that won't isolate housing stock prices and will wipe out owner and non-owner alike. The last thing anyone would want to do with a 1/3 drop is enter the housing market.

Every few years there is a concerted effort to ramp the cost of rentals. You will no doubt shortly hear ARLA banging on about ‘shortage of supply’ and ‘huge increases in demand’. Thing is, this ramping tends to happen at a point where the capital appreciation of houses has stopped, or is reversing. We saw it in 2004, again in 2007 and hey ho, they are trying it again now. It was bull$hit when we heard it before and it is bull$hit now. Just ignore and make your own mind up from the number and prices of rentals available on Rightmove.