House Price Crash Forum
Stay Beautiful

Cancelling Car Insurance.

Phoned up Barclays to swap car ins to van ins. Was told they dont do van ins so would just have to cancel the car ins and get a new policy for the van. The admin charge for this, £77. Bon apitite, they said..... :angry:

i suppose i should have read the reams of small print they sent with the car schedule.

Phoned up Barclays to swap car ins to van ins. Was told they dont do van ins so would just have to cancel the car ins and get a new policy for the van. The admin charge for this, £77. Bon apitite, they said..... :angry:

i suppose i should have read the reams of small print they sent with the car schedule.

Helped the missus look for cheaper car insurance last night. Ended up on Sheila's wheels (the cheapest), via Money supermarket. Had looked up Sheila's Wheels for her a month ago, the insurance had been quoted at £310. This time it came in at about £366! Went to save the quote and got a message saying it couldn't save and took us back to the homepage. Entered the same details again immediately and the quote came back at £397!!!

ROBBING B@STARDS. The more they put up the cost of insurance, surely the more unnisured drivers it creates (cos they can't afford the premiums) and ergo, surely the higher insurance costs go (uninsured drivers is a main reason they give for rising premiums), a vicious spiral for those that are responsible enough to pay insurance.

Whatever you do, make sure you pay the extra £27 for legal cover (now an optional extra, kerching! - used to be included as standard on all policies until about 5 years ago I believe). You'll need it if you get hit by one of the multitudes of uninsured drivers these insurance hikes are creating.

Edited by General Congreve

Exactly the same thing happened to me with LV... had to pay a cancellation fee and forfeit the remaining two months cover (paid up). To add insult to injury I lost that years no claims bonus, would have been 8 instead of 7 :(

We're getting rid of the car when both kids are old enough to walk. The economics just don't stack up.

I think it costs us at least 200 quid a month to simply own the blasted thing, before you take petrol into account. Literally may as well get cabs and walk/cycle.

Heh.

I recently called More Than to change the address on my car insurance (TPFT on an old POS hyundai). The insurance had only cost £300, and I was moving to a better area.

Anyway, when the guy puts my details in, he tells me the cost would be £68. Apparently, I get a £7 reduction in premium, but there is a £75 admin charge for changing the address!

What's more, the guy was totally incompetent. The phone call (to a "almost-premium rate" 0844 number) took 27 minutes, simply for a change of address. And for that I got a £15 refund after I complained that paying £75 to have an imbecile take the call was unacceptable.

Edited by ChumpusRex

Heh.

I recently called More Than to change the address on my car insurance (TPFT on an old POS hyundai). The insurance had only cost £300, and I was moving to a better area.

Anyway, when the guy puts my details in, he tells me the cost would be £68. Apparently, I get a £7 reduction in premium, but there is a £75 admin charge for changing the address!

What's more, the guy was totally incompetent. The phone call (to a "almost-premium rate" 0844 number) took 27 minutes, simply for a change of address. And for that I got a £15 refund after I complained that paying £75 to have an imbecile take the call was unacceptable.

Same happened to me, I had the temerity to move 3 miles to a better area and for 10mins computer work and a letter I got "rolled" for £47

I know what you mean Less Than renewed my policy automatically even though I didn't renew it with them. Eventually they refunded the premium they took from me, twice.

We're getting rid of the car when both kids are old enough to walk. The economics just don't stack up.

I think it costs us at least 200 quid a month to simply own the blasted thing, before you take petrol into account. Literally may as well get cabs and walk/cycle.

This ^

Do it. You won't regret it.

I save LOADS of money by not driving, and its actually fun! I'm not a 'green' person or anything, I just love rolling down hills and saving money. I've also got really fit too, which is a bonus. I also get to work twice as fast, saving an hour a day leisure time :)