House Price Crash Forum
interestrateripoff

Consumer Jitters Point To Frostier Christmas In High Street

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/retailandconsumer/8149979/Consumer-jitters-point-to-frostier-Christmas-in-high-street.html

Hopes that the VAT increase in January will prompt consumers to bring forward major purchases into this year have been hit after Markit said attitudes to buying costly items worsened in November at the fastest rate since it began its survey of household finances in February 2009.

The research group's findings also showed that while spending increased in October, it did so because cash-strapped consumers tapped into their savings and took on their highest level of monthly debt since the survey was launched.

Analysts said that sentiment over spending on large appliances and other expensive items tends to be a reliable advance indicator of wider trends, so the survey was seen to point to "subdued" consumer demand in the coming months.

A couple of weeks ago I posted a thread about one last blow out, now it appears that might not be the case. Is normality finally returning to spending? Or will people once more prove they can spend money they haven't got on goods they don't really need?

This is how Christmas works:

October - Predictions of a bleak Christmas for retailers

Early December - Retailers report low sales and that the January sales will start immediately

Mid/Late December - Retailers report best Christmas ever

If people feel wealthy, they spend it on a "damned good Christmas"

If they feel poor, they do the same, citing: "Despite being skint, we're still going to have a good Christmas. We'll pay for it later".

Austerity Christmases have been the norm in our house for years. A bottle of Talisker, ten quid presents, home made wreaths, a good sing song and all that. Damn good fun. Our wealthier relatives have suggested it's a good job for the economy everyone doesn't think like us.

I'm not spending f all this Christmas. What's the point of buying shit that no one wants or needs? I've told people not to buy me useless shit too. I'd rather have the money.

I'm not spending f all this Christmas. What's the point of buying shit that no one wants or needs? I've told people not to buy me useless shit too. I'd rather have the money.

But, but the economy needs you! Not sure which economy, probably the Chinese one.

But, but the economy needs you! Not sure which economy, probably the Chinese one.

If I take a loan to buy the cheap chinese shit then I'm doing my bit for our economy.

im not looking forward to my 10, really special, seasonal, pub christmas dinners...trying to keep the weight off I worked hard to remove this year.

then again, sitting at home every night doesnt attract either...

but, TBH, by the time "The Morning itself arrives", and Mrs Loo INSISTS she spends all morning in the kitchen, I really dont feel like yet another Christmas Dinner with all the trimmings.

Edited by Bloo Loo

Hold on, are we allowed to call it Christmas now?

I thought the PC brigade were trying to get it rebranded as the winter feastivals?

I think it's only the loonier of the loony-left councils now, since leaders of other faith groups have made it clear that they do not find the C-word remotely offensive. And maybe it's finally dawned on some of these councils that their cringing, bending-over-backwards attitude was tending to make people racist, or maybe 'religionist' would be a better word.

Not to mention that it was wonderful fodder for the likes of the BNP.

I think it's only the loonier of the loony-left councils now, since leaders of other faith groups have made it clear that they do not find the C-word remotely offensive. And maybe it's finally dawned on some of these councils that their cringing, bending-over-backwards attitude was tending to make people racist, or maybe 'religionist' would be a better word.

Not to mention that it was wonderful fodder for the likes of the BNP.

Isn't that basically Birmingham in 1996, that just gets regurgitated by the press every year since then?

Meanwhile, just be so kind as to let me opt out of the humbuggery.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/retailandconsumer/8149979/Consumer-jitters-point-to-frostier-Christmas-in-high-street.html

A couple of weeks ago I posted a thread about one last blow out, now it appears that might not be the case. Is normality finally returning to spending? Or will people once more prove they can spend money they haven't got on goods they don't really need?

A very good friend of mine (used to work with me before i left the Company) is a manager for a well known high street store. She said their sales are absolutely dire and the company is beginning to panic as it did a couple of years ago. She's getting pages and pages of price reductions every day and then a few days later they put them up but on a 3 for 2 offer etc. This store doesn't sell high ticket items but your usual books, paper, music etc. She's told me to hold off any purchases until the very last minute (not that i'm buying anything on the high street) internet all the way or home made gifts.

Isn't that basically Birmingham in 1996, that just gets regurgitated by the press every year since then?

Meanwhile, just be so kind as to let me opt out of the humbuggery.

Also, it was just a marketing ploy - basically about two months from mid November to mid January was labelled 'Winterval' to get people into Brum's shopping centres.

Bang on the zeitgeist - we all have to shop or the economy's buggered.

On a personal note, this year Christmas will be sponsored by ebay and my Tesco vouchers.

If you believe Stephen Fry on QI, (and I have no reason not to) then yes, it was only Birmingham council that had 'Winterval' for one year.

However I think the 'midwinter ecumenical all faiths and/or none celebration' stuff is done by some schools, nurseries etc - I know for a fact that my friend's daughter's nursery school is specifically avoiding the 'C' word this year.

I write/say "Xmas". It really pisses christians off.

Dear me. What do they teach in schools these days?

The X is the Greek letter 'chi'. Often used as an abbrev. for Christ.

I've told the family "no pressies this year" and they jumped at the idea. I'll have to buy a few for the wife but not as much as previous years. She had a few tears when I told her so a box of tissues in the stocking should do it.

I've told the family "no pressies this year" and they jumped at the idea. I'll have to buy a few for the wife but not as much as previous years. She had a few tears when I told her so a box of tissues in the stocking should do it.

I'd also suggest some oven cleaner / dusters etc.... might was well make the presents useful.

Early December - Retailers report low sales and that the January sales will start immediately

If they feel poor, they do the same, citing: "Despite being skint, we're still going to have a good Christmas. We'll pay for it later".

++

Increasingly the tat that others give me at Christmas goes straight down the charity shop in the new year. I have enough junk of my own without adding to it. At least my sister has now learned from this and asks for a wish list. Missus still insists on buying clothes which are about 20 years too young for me (no one wants to see a middle aged bloke in skinny jeans that expose your half of your backside) - I have to sneak these out of the house while she's still asleep as she searches bags destined for the charity shop more closely than airport security.

Edited by greencat

my sales are down at least 70% on last year, i'm spending probably 50% less in google/yahoo/microsoft ppc than i was this time last year. this time last year i was getting £1500 profit a day, now it's around £300, nothings changed, i even have less competition and margins have increased!

I'm not complaining, £300 still a lot of money to most people, and i have plenty of money saved. I just thought i would give you an "on the ground" perspective, by the way i sell probably the most wanted products that people get for christmas.

edit: forgot to say these items range from £100 - £300

Edited by silversurfer

If you believe Stephen Fry on QI, (and I have no reason not to) then yes, it was only Birmingham council that had 'Winterval' for one year.

However I think the 'midwinter ecumenical all faiths and/or none celebration' stuff is done by some schools, nurseries etc - I know for a fact that my friend's daughter's nursery school is specifically avoiding the 'C' word this year.

Crying shame. Nearly as bad as those bloody misery-guts teachers/vicars who like to tell little kids that there's no Father Christmas.

Non-parents won't understand or appreciate, but there's nothing quite so eye-wipey as seeing a load of really little ones (inc. your own, of course) doing a Nativity Play and singing Away In A Manger.

The best present I got last year was a box of paracetamol, all wrapped up nicely it was. :P

Will spend on a nice Christmas dinner...apart from that will be avoiding the shops like the plague...the few gifts I will give I have made myself. ;)

Agreed this is now as expected as dry turkey. Though the danger is eventually it ends up the boy who cried wolf.

No ten retailers to go pop list.... ;)

Edited by Ash4781

Agreed this is now as expected as dry turkey. Though the danger is eventually it ends up the boy who cried wolf.

No ten retailers to go pop list.... ;)

My son asked me yesterday what I wanted for Xmas.I honestly answered that I have everything I want or need already.