House Price Crash Forum

'significant' Snow Falls Predicted By Mid-Week As Temperatures Across Britain Plummet To -10C

interestrateripoff

HOLA441

To be fair, I do remember comments to that effect. Also that British children would "forget what snow looked like" (or something like that).

(If anyone feels like flaming me for the above comment, please do, I could use the heat.)

I remember the same sort of things vaguely - but there is a difference between what some dimwitted journalist reads into the phrase global warming, and what was being predicted by the scientists - hence the name change to climate change. I remember having this very argument (ie that global warming was not going to make the UK all "nice and warm") with someone on my wife's degree course, and given that the wife graduated eight or nine years ago...

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442
HOLA443

BBC keeping up the warmist brainwashing - you have to read to bottom of page to get the colder bit! Clever gits!

The real Chicago weather picture in whole >>>

Seattle hit a record low today... did the BBC carry that weather story...thought not.

Often big depressions in the US will have record cold one side, record warmth the other, for any given single day and any given single location its not that rare.

HOLA444

To be honest I don't tend to take much notice of what the mass media has to say about climate change, preferring the scientific debate, so you may well be right, in that respect.

However, the reason scientists stopped using the name global warming and changed to climate change was for exactly this reason - that an overall increase in the average temperature does not mean everywhere will warm - but rather that the extra energy in the system will drive the weather to greater extremes in each direction.

I still think that the councils gritting situation had more to do with what they thought they could get away with and nothing to do with climate change. Also, around here they have

been pretty good over the years and just get caught out when there is a one night cold snap, or if there is a mixture of rain and snow.

Yes agree with much of that. Although the change of name is still something I am very cynical about. It was all very convenient. If these scientists thought this initially then why not use climate change from the start ? Global warming sounds a lot more scary doesn't it. Climate change sounds a bit well - blah.

I remember the same sort of things vaguely - but there is a difference between what some dimwitted journalist reads into the phrase global warming, and what was being predicted by the scientists - hence the name change to climate change. I remember having this very argument (ie that global warming was not going to make the UK all "nice and warm") with someone on my wife's degree course, and given that the wife graduated eight or nine years ago...

Technically - yes. But in reality ? No. For the average Joe in the UK there is no difference. Absolutely none. For most some dim journalist telling them a scientific fact is no different from Einstein himself doing the same.

Just look at the 'experts' paraded on TV in regards to property and see how nearly all of the general public lapped that all up. Even though the vast majority had absolutely no clue what they were talking about.

HOLA445

Actually it is the fault of the council decision makers and not really much to do with 'Climate Change' at all.

You see, in an attempt to save money they've gone for a Just-in-Time model for supplying the grit in winter. The idea is they only buy it in when needed - that way they save on the storage facilities during the other 9 months of the year.

Of course it all breaks down when the demand for grit is greater than the capacity to mine it, which is what's happened for the last couple of years.

So nothing to do with climate change at all. Please don't drag tedious conspiracies into things that can be explained by normal circumstances.

Ah yes, JIT being inappropriately applied. Save pennies on storage so you can spend thousands buying something at a peak price when demand has soared. Glad we get good value out of our councils hiring all those MBAs.

HOLA446

I can't find anything from the early/90's saying this either.

Trawling thru 10 pages x 50 links only reveals 2007 or later posts when they knew the game was up and changed their tune yet again to defraud the World populations!

No, I can recall there being articles about the Odden feature disappearing and the Gulf Stream being turned off from 2000ish. However, there were certainly many other articles talking about warmer winters. I would have thought that if you asked an "average" member of the public they would think that global warming would lead to warmer UK winters. Councils are filled with "average" members of the public and are likely to base decisions on their ignorance, and as ccc's links show, even the Met Office can't decide what the effect will be.

Having said that, I fully suspect that it is all about instituional memory and short term performance bonuses and budgets - last couple of winters we used 8000 tons of salt, therefore next winter we will use 8000 tons of salt. If we have a run of cold winters, then you'll probably find that councils overstock etc.

I suspect it is something like what happened in BT in the 1990's. Telephone line faults are basically Poisson distributed, but the mean is determined, more or less, by the amount of rain in a given year. We had a run of dry years in the early 1990s, and BT had a management reward system where junior managers (more or less straight out of uni) were encouraged to push utilisation of resources close to 1 - i.e. reduce the slack inthe system and pension under utilised engineers. When we had a rainy year in the mid 1990s, fault rates soared and there was no slack in the system to cope. They spent about £100 million in one year bringing over Scandanavian and Irish telecom engineers to deal with the problems, but these guys, as well as being more expensive were much less efficient (fixing about 1/3rd of the faults per man day) as they did not know the local areas and problem hot spots they were working in, so the relatively tiny savings of the previous few years made by reducing slack, were washed away along with a whole load of other money. (BT was really into JIT in the 1990s when I was there...completely inappropriate when it take months to train a telecom engineer, but the problems arise "overnight".)

Never ascribe to malevolence that which can be explained by stupidity.

HOLA447

No, I can recall there being articles about the Odden feature disappearing and the Gulf Stream being turned off from 2000ish. However, there were certainly many other articles talking about warmer winters. I would have thought that if you asked an "average" member of the public they would think that global warming would lead to warmer UK winters. Councils are filled with "average" members of the public and are likely to base decisions on their ignorance, and as ccc's links show, even the Met Office can't decide what the effect will be.

Having said that, I fully suspect that it is all about instituional memory and short term performance bonuses and budgets - last couple of winters we used 8000 tons of salt, therefore next winter we will use 8000 tons of salt. If we have a run of cold winters, then you'll probably find that councils overstock etc.

I suspect it is something like what happened in BT in the 1990's. Telephone line faults are basically Poisson distributed, but the mean is determined, more or less, by the amount of rain in a given year. We had a run of dry years in the early 1990s, and BT had a management reward system where junior managers (more or less straight out of uni) were encouraged to push utilisation of resources close to 1 - i.e. reduce the slack inthe system and pension under utilised engineers. When we had a rainy year in the mid 1990s, fault rates soared and there was no slack in the system to cope. They spent about £100 million in one year bringing over Scandanavian and Irish telecom engineers to deal with the problems, but these guys, as well as being more expensive were much less efficient (fixing about 1/3rd of the faults per man day) as they did not know the local areas and problem hot spots they were working in, so the relatively tiny savings of the previous few years made by reducing slack, were washed away along with a whole load of other money. (BT was really into JIT in the 1990s when I was there...completely inappropriate when it take months to train a telecom engineer, but the problems arise "overnight".)

Never ascribe to malevolence that which can be explained by stupidity.

Interesting that cheers.

Gross incompetence does explain all manner of things !

HOLA448

Technically - yes. But in reality ? No. For the average Joe in the UK there is no difference. Absolutely none. For most some dim journalist telling them a scientific fact is no different from Einstein himself doing the same.

Just look at the 'experts' paraded on TV in regards to property and see how nearly all of the general public lapped that all up. Even though the vast majority had absolutely no clue what they were talking about.

And none of them are worth paying attention to so shouldn't influence your view on the subject one way or the other. The fact they don't really know what they're talking about doesn't make it false either (or true, of course).

HOLA449
HOLA4410

And none of them are worth paying attention to so shouldn't influence your view on the subject one way or the other. The fact they don't really know what they're talking about doesn't make it false either (or true, of course).

I don't think you are listening to what I am saying. It DOES influence peopole whether it is true or not. That is the point !!

HOLA4411

Seattle hit a record low today... did the BBC carry that weather story...thought not.

Often big depressions in the US will have record cold one side, record warmth the other, for any given single day and any given single location its not that rare.

Exactly - but 'they' call it Glowball Warming then cherry pick and emphasise specific, 'targeted' areas to fit in with their collective madness!

From a Seattle daily

Posted by cmcharlesmillar at 11/24/2010 8:53 p.m.

Global warming is one of the biggest frauds anyone has ever perpetrated.

I have to chuckle at you guys down there are complaining about 14 degrees. Up here in the great white north, Calgary, Alberta to be exact we hit -30 centigrade approximately -22-23 F and we are still alive.

Keep up with the rubbish of Global Warming, the air has never been cleaner and the water has cleaned up to the point we have fish returning that we have not seen in ages

Obviously those further up norf have more time to mull things over whilst snowed in & in 'darkness' X months a year.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415

NO IT DOESN'T! THAT'S ONLY YOUR OPINION FFS! PLEASE STOP ASSUMING YOU KNOW HOW PEOPLE THINK, OK?

No it is not. It is fact. If you wish to deny this then so be it.

You mean 'MBA courses..'

?

Archived