House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

interestrateripoff

'significant' Snow Falls Predicted By Mid-Week As Temperatures Across Britain Plummet To -10C

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1331757/UK-snow-fall-Met-Office-warning-Temperatures-plummet-zero.html

Britain is set to shiver in temperatures as low as minus ten this week with 'significant' snow falls hitting the country, the Met Office warn.

The last time the mercury plummeted this low was in March - at the summit of a Scottish mountain.

The north and the east of the country are in line for heavy snow, although forecasters say this could spread across Britain as we head to the weekend.

Country to grind to a standstill next week? Trains to stop running, cars abandoned etc...

Once more this country to be proved to be a farce with 1" of snow.

http://www.dailymail...ummet-zero.html

Country to grind to a standstill next week? Trains to stop running, cars abandoned etc...

Once more this country to be proved to be a farce with 1" of snow.

Could be a new ice age. Fortunately land south of the Thames was never glaciated, so house prices in Maidstone are bound to soar.

I was believing it till the 'BBQ summer' met office and their long range forcasters got in on the act and said it would be cold.

In response Im stocking up on ice cream and getting the air conditioning re-gassed.

It's not minus ten here!

Will anyone tell me when it gets to minus ten where you are? :huh:

Late Friday and Saturday morning looks like the time when the east and SE could get a pasting! SW on friday morning, although it will be a little more marginal.

I love the setup of this cold spell for anyone who is interested.

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rtavn1921.png

It is an incredibly exciting setup because high pressure is around to the north and south of the NE-flow low pressure. In other words its a repeat of the Jan setup. And is likely to mean cold weather will be around for quite some time.

Late Friday and Saturday morning looks like the time when the east and SE could get a pasting! SW on friday morning, although it will be a little more marginal.

It is an incredibly exciting setup because high pressure is around to the north and south of the NE-flow low pressure. In other words its a repeat of the Jan setup. And is likely to mean cold weather will be around for quite some time.

Ok, NOW I'm paying attention

It's not minus ten here!

Will anyone tell me when it gets to minus ten where you are? :huh:

Typical Daily Wail headline. It may get to -10C in some secluded Scottish glen or up a mountain, just as it does every, single winter at some time.

The majority of us (especially in England) will get a slight frost and some snow flurries. Forecast is for -3C here in the Midlands next Thu night. Possibility of snow showers. Excellent!!

Exciting from a meterological point of view. From the point of view of someone trying to navigate the roads of north Somerset to work - not the easiest job at the best of times - the novelty can wear off pretty quickly.

Could be a new ice age. Fortunately land south of the Thames was never glaciated, so house prices in Maidstone are bound to soar.

I'd like to see that on an estate agent's info sheet.

Well no one on here who drives to work can complain, its not as if we didnt know about and havent had time to get new winter tyres and/or chains/cables for them now. ;)

Exactly. If you want to be able to drive in snow, chains and tyres are obligatory. If you can't afford the tyre change, then a set of chains is fairly cheap (under £100). And the roads will be empty, so you'll be at your destination in half the usual time... :D

Typical Daily Wail headline. It may get to -10C in some secluded Scottish glen or up a mountain, just as it does every, single winter at some time.

The majority of us (especially in England) will get a slight frost and some snow flurries. Forecast is for -3C here in the Midlands next Thu night. Possibility of snow showers. Excellent!!

Not so sure. This is Cairngorm Mountain. At only about 700m altitude. In the middle of November. Full solid looking snow base already.

Cairngorm

Time will tell but -10c in some Scottish Glen at this time of year is pretty cold.

Not so sure. This is Cairngorm Mountain. At only about 700m altitude. In the middle of November. Full solid looking snow base already.

Cairngorm

Time will tell but -10c in some Scottish Glen at this time of year is pretty cold.

700m is 2300', which is reasonably high-ish for the UK, and Scotland is colder and snowier anyway. Perhaps a bit more wintery than average for the time but it doesn't sound like anything to get excited about yet unless you're off skiing.

700m is 2300', which is reasonably high-ish for the UK, and Scotland is colder and snowier anyway. Perhaps a bit more wintery than average for the time but it doesn't sound like anything to get excited about yet unless you're off skiing.

But 700m is not high in altitude terms by any stretch.

Anyway I can assure you this is not normal for this time of year. Even back in the days when Jockland had a proper ski season.

Not that it will continue of course. Weather is a strange thing. However the Winter is certainly starting off like last year did. In fact about a month earlier...

Well no one on here who drives to work can complain, its not as if we didnt know about and havent had time to get new winter tyres and/or chains/cables for them now. ;)

where exactly are people supposed to keep summer tyres if they live in a small flat (the case for a lot of people)?! Do you trade them in and then get new summer ones each year?

where exactly are people supposed to keep summer tyres if they live in a small flat (the case for a lot of people)?! Do you trade them in and then get new summer ones each year?

I believe that in Europe (in places where you must use winter rated tyres) it is customary to have 2 set of wheels and tyres and that your tyre guy will change and store your extra wheels twice a year for a fee.

what I'm led to believe anyway.

I thought about getting winter tyres but decided I'd just stay at home. Its not like I live in the middle of nowhere.

Exactly. If you want to be able to drive in snow, chains and tyres are obligatory.

How about councils using some of the tax we pay them to keep the roads clear, combined with some common sense driving? This is not northern Scandinavia or Alaska, where snow is such an ubiquitous fact of life that drivers are indeed expected to equip their vehicles to cope with a constant coating of impacted snow on the road. After the fiasco of last year (grit running out), we've had a year to make a collective decision that either we're going to spend on equality and diversity officers and more on keeping the roads open, or accept that a significant number of journeys are not going to happen during the snowfall. Given the loss of revenue from petrol duty that would result from a significant number of cancelled journeys, you'd expect the authorities to want to get their act together.

How about councils using some of the tax we pay them to keep the roads clear, combined with some common sense driving? This is not northern Scandinavia or Alaska, where snow is such an ubiquitous fact of life that drivers are indeed expected to equip their vehicles to cope with a constant coating of impacted snow on the road. After the fiasco of last year (grit running out), we've had a year to make a collective decision that either we're going to spend on equality and diversity officers and more on keeping the roads open, or accept that a significant number of journeys are not going to happen during the snowfall. Given the loss of revenue from petrol duty that would result from a significant number of cancelled journeys, you'd expect the authorities to want to get their act together.

Excuse me, but we are British and as such one simply doesn't do common sense. There would be nothing to whinge about.

Excuse me, but we are British and as such one simply doesn't do common sense. There would be nothing to whinge about.

Agreed.

I also await the blaming of the shocking road surfaces on the weather. Another disgrace of an excuse in this country.

I believe that in Europe (in places where you must use winter rated tyres) it is customary to have 2 set of wheels and tyres and that your tyre guy will change and store your extra wheels twice a year for a fee.

what I'm led to believe anyway.

I thought about getting winter tyres but decided I'd just stay at home. Its not like I live in the middle of nowhere.

I see. I would get them, but the problem is I have nowhere to store them (unless I want 4 tyres in my living room, bedroom or kitchen!). Apparently you ought to have them even without snow because they work better if you get ice on the road or even just in cold temperatures (no snow, ice) they grip better.

I see. I would get them, but the problem is I have nowhere to store them (unless I want 4 tyres in my living room, bedroom or kitchen!). Apparently you ought to have them even without snow because they work better if you get ice on the road or even just in cold temperatures (no snow, ice) they grip better.

Get these instead. Very easy to put on and off. Work very well in all but the most extreme of icy/snowy conditions.

www.autosock.co.uk

Tested them out on my road last year. Was at that stage where the freeze thaw had turned beside my drive into a sloping ice rink. That hard packed snow covered with a think film of water. Tried to move as normal. Nothing at all. Even with a wee run up the wheels just spun and I slipped back. Put these on and did a standing start no problem without even the hint of a slip.

Apparently the only time when chains are necessary are when you have a steep slope start on sheet ice. However for everything else they work a treat.

I will do a review if I get a shot this week.

There's no point having winter tyres in the UK, or chains or autosocks for that matter, because some **** ahead of you will not have them so the road will be blocked anyway. You might as well stay at home.

The chaos of 1-inch snowdrifts in the UK will only improve when it becomes obligatory for everyone to have winter tyres plus carry chains/autosocks, with an automatic 1000 quid fine for anyone that blocks the road because they haven't got them.