House Price Crash Forum
crash 2005

Propertyfinder.com Survey Results Released,

http://www.housefund.co.uk/news/2005/09/48...optimistic.html

A new survey from Propertyfinder.com reports that many buyers are expecting house prices to improve by the end of the year.

Half of those surveyed, 48% expect house prices to rise by next year, compared to 45% of those who expect prices to fall.

Buyers and sellers expectations are also getting closer. In August, buyers made offers approximately 6.4% below the asking prices while sellers said that they are willing to accept offers of 4.9% below the asking price.

Propertyfinder.com spokesperson Mark Baker said that people's confidence is often reflected in future sales. "There has been a slight decline in confidence compared to July because of the season and also poor economic news. Scotland is the most optimistic nation, whilst the South West and South East of England are the least.

Is this the survey we all voted on a couple of weeks ago??

Yes!

If you wish to complain about how the results of the last survey have been misrepresented then you should contact:

http://www.thepagroup.com/contactus/index.php

The figures in this months report demonstrate a clear dive in confidence and expectations about the likelihood of house prices falling ( ;) ), however the overwhelming message portrayed in the media is that these figures indicate that the housing market is set for a revival ( :o )!!!

Refer to my previous posts for the exact figures in comparison to last months survey.

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/ind...04entry186704

This must represent a major news story, as most people would be horrified if they knew that these so called 'news' stories are essentially just business adverts for estate agents. It simply demonstrates that most media organisations fail to critically evaluate information they receive and as a result cannot be considered as being impartial, fair or independent.

I find it extremely worrying that the Press Association Ltd who distributed this "news" article maintain the following as their mission statement:

"The UK's national news agency, supplying fast, FAIR and ACCURATE news and information".

If anyone feels strongly about this then they should also contact the Press Complaints Commision:

http://www.pcc.org.uk/complaint/how_complaint.htm

As the person who started the survey thread I cannot be seen to be objective and therefore will not be making a complain. I'm sure some people would simply view this as sour grapes. However I believe there are strong grounds for this complaint to be upheld. I would therefore encourage everyone on this board to look into the matter, make up their own minds and if they feel that recent 'news reports' stemming from the August propertyfinder survey have indeed been misleading to TAKE ACTION.

If a complaint of this nature is upheld this would send a major shockwave through the industry.

I would also hope that members of this board will keep completing the survey every month. For people who would like to buy but cannot or will not pay current prices, this has never been more important. This is not an attempt to manipulate house price confidence data but rather readress a bias in the survey population and to properly represent a growing group of people who feel disenfranchised and excluded from owning a home. Go for it!

http://www.propertyfinder.com/survey/pfsurvey.htm

Yes!

If you wish to complain about how the results of the last survey have been misrepresented then you should contact:

http://www.thepagroup.com/contactus/index.php

The figures in this months report demonstrate a clear dive in confidence and expectations about the likelihood of house prices falling ( ;) ), however the overwhelming message portrayed in the media is that these figures indicate that the housing market is set for a revival ( :o )!!!

Refer to my previous posts for the exact figures in comparison to last months survey.

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/ind...04entry186704

This must represent a major news story, as most people would be horrified if they knew that these so called 'news' stories are essentially just business adverts for estate agents.  It simply demonstrates that most media organisations fail to critically evaluate information they receive and as a result cannot be considered as being impartial, fair or independent.

I find it extremely worrying that the Press Association Ltd who distributed this "news" article maintain the following as their mission statement:

"The UK's national news agency, supplying fast, FAIR and ACCURATE news and information".

If anyone feels strongly about this then they should also contact the Press Complaints Commision:

http://www.pcc.org.uk/complaint/how_complaint.htm

As the person who started the survey thread I cannot be seen to be objective and therefore will not be making a complain.  I'm sure some people would simply view this as sour grapes.  However I believe there are strong grounds for this complaint to be upheld.  I would therefore encourage everyone on this board to look into the matter, make up their own minds and if they feel that recent 'news reports' stemming from the August propertyfinder survey have indeed been misleading to TAKE ACTION.

If a complaint of this nature is upheld this would send a major shockwave through the industry.

I would also hope that members of this board will keep completing the survey every month.  For people who would like to buy but cannot or will not pay current prices, this has never been more important.  This is not an attempt to manipulate house price confidence data but rather readress a bias in the survey population and to properly represent a growing group of people who feel disenfranchised and excluded from owning a home. Go for it!

Your tone of righteous indignation is wholeheartedly supported, however I still find it slightly amusing since I hate to say it, if this is the one we think it is we did stack it :ph34r::lol::o

Your tone of righteous indignation is wholeheartedly supported, however I still find it slightly amusing since I hate to say it, if this is the one we think it is we did stack it :ph34r:  :lol:  :o

True in some sense. But the survey is already stacked in favour of EAs and bulls in the first place. The sample of respondents is people visiting the propertyfinder website, including EAs. Most of us on this board have given up looking to buy until prices come down. If your looking to buy now you must either believe that prices are going to rise or have reckless disregard for the subject. These are the people who are filling in the survey every month. No wonder the results are always overlyoptimistic. In addition over 3000 people read the HPC survey thread. Many of these would have been people with a vested interest in prices rising.

Stick the survey in your favourites and put a post it reminder on your monitor:

Stay positive!

Done it again for this month!!

answered this to this question:

Q. What do you expect will motivate your next move?

1 Work

2 Upgrading to a nicer home/area

3 Cohabitating/marriage

4 Retirement - downsizing to release equity

5 Retirement - upgrading to a more expensive home

6 Other (please specify) Answer: As I'm renting, a fall in house prices.

And -20% for every 12 month question

Doesn't it rather devalue the integrity of a discussion forum like this to attempt to manipulate the debate by swamping a survey that is trying to get to find out what people think is going on? Our negative house price views are valid and are part of the debate, but it is rather immature to swamp the propertyfinder survey and somehow imagine that we have created a new 'true represenation of public's views on the market'.

I work in IT and have conducted web polls before. It is very easy to spot how and when your survey is being manipulated and I don't doubt that propertyfinder has simply used its software to filter out attacks on the survey.

http://www.housefund.co.uk/news/2005/09/48...optimistic.html

A new survey from Propertyfinder.com reports that many buyers are expecting house prices to improve by the end of the year.

Half of those surveyed, 48% expect house prices to rise by next year, compared to 45% of those who expect prices to fall.

Buyers and sellers expectations are also getting closer. In August, buyers made offers approximately 6.4% below the asking prices while sellers said that they are willing to accept offers of 4.9% below the asking price.

Propertyfinder.com spokesperson Mark Baker said that people's confidence is often reflected in future sales. "There has been a slight decline in confidence compared to July because of the season and also poor economic news. Scotland is the most optimistic nation, whilst the South West and South East of England are the least.

Is this the survey we all voted on a couple of weeks ago??

Doesn't it rather devalue the integrity of a discussion forum like this to attempt to manipulate the debate by swamping a survey that is trying to get to find out what people think is going on?  Our negative house price views are valid and are part of the debate, but it is rather immature to swamp the propertyfinder survey and somehow imagine that we have created a new 'true represenation of public's views on the market'.

I work in IT and have conducted web polls before.  It is very easy to spot how and when your survey is being manipulated and I don't doubt that propertyfinder has simply used its software to filter out attacks on the survey.

To summarise:

It's not big and it's not clever so please please please don't complete the survey.

Yaawwwwnn... -_-

Isn't there an alternative way of looking at this:

Certainly over the last few years and in a "normal" market, if you surveyed people and asked "do you think house prices will go up in the next year" given the mantra in this Country that "house prices always go up", you'd expect the result to be near 100%.

The fact that, despite the VI spin we're seeing (Halifax +1.6%), only half the people surveyed think prices will go up, is significant.

My point, Kickinthepants, is simply that it won't make any difference because they will be able to filter out abnormal response patterns.

DT Mark is right. I have done some digging and looked into the history of this survey. Back at the beginning of 2004, propertyfinder was reporting over 90% of respondents saying the market would rise that year (and they were right). By November last year, propertyfinder was reporting pretty dire figures suggesting wipe out in the market - right again - prices soon afterwards began to fall. Recently they say that the market is 'stable' and pointing to a pick up in transactions (not prices). That is backed up by Countrywide Plc which yesterday gave a trading statement to the Stock Exchange that the number of housing transactions had stabilised and that the second half of the year was looking much better. Countrywide has a legal duty to report the truth and has a good record of doing so. None of them are talking about price increase, simply about more transactions in the market.

I am also not positive on the outlook for property, but you are foolish and immature to think that messing up the propertyfinder survey is somehow going to prove we are right about the market. Let them gather their information unmolested.

House prices ARE flat or falling. Wages ARE rising. THat means houses ARE getting cheaper for the average person. Stay renting and in a couple of years, even without a price crash, houses will look a lot more affordable.

Anyone else prepared to grow up and be less hysterical?

Isn't there an alternative way of looking at this:

Certainly over the last few years and in a "normal" market, if you surveyed people and asked "do you think house prices will go up in the next year" given the mantra in this Country that "house prices always go up", you'd expect the result to be near 100%.

The fact that, despite the VI spin we're seeing (Halifax +1.6%), only half the people surveyed think prices will go up, is significant.

Guest Riser
Doesn't it rather devalue the integrity of a discussion forum like this to attempt to manipulate the debate by swamping a survey that is trying to get to find out what people think is going on?  Our negative house price views are valid and are part of the debate, but it is rather immature to swamp the propertyfinder survey and somehow imagine that we have created a new 'true represenation of public's views on the market'.

I work in IT and have conducted web polls before.  It is very easy to spot how and when your survey is being manipulated and I don't doubt that propertyfinder has simply used its software to filter out attacks on the survey.

I wonder if they are also able to pick up and filter desperate attempts by estate agents to increase market confidence by manipulating the results.

Perhaps the agents don't need to because they know the surveys bent anyway. B)