House Price Crash Forum
Bradbury Robinson

Whitehouse 'banksy' Pub (Liverpool)...

Bought in February 2010 by a couple of 'developers' for £114,000, nothing done in the meantime and they put it up for sale at £175,000!

Rather decently they have decided to drop the price by £50,000 and are now only asking £125,000 for it, £9,000 'profit' for doing nothing to it!

February 2010

November 2010

Streetview

I've had a look around but can't find the results for Venmore auctions just yet.

Bought in February 2010 by a couple of 'developers' for £114,000, nothing done in the meantime and they put it up for sale at £175,000!

Rather decently they have decided to drop the price by £50,000 and are now only asking £125,000 for it, £9,000 'profit' for doing nothing to it!

I've had a look around but can't find the results for Venmore auctions just yet.

Lot 23 on this:

http://www.venmoreauctions.co.uk/sites/default/files/Catalogue%20-%20Nov%202010.pdf

"The former public house has recently acquired a 6am convenience/mini market license including the service of alcohol."

Can't find any results myself. Says it's Grade II listed. Oh dear.

Edited by deflation

Hold on. I used to live in Liverpool at the start of last decade, and this pub closed down during that time. Has it been closed ever since?

If yes, is someone planning on making a successful business out of it? :huh:

• Closed for 8 years.
  • Just a bit too far out from town centre.
  • But right on the edge of an estate full of scallies.
  • And one street further up the hill used to be the red light district.
  • And it's Grade II listed, so you can't even get rid of that stupid Banksy "art".

Apart from hoping to flip it for more money, why would anyone buy this place? :rolleyes:

Hold on. I used to live in Liverpool at the start of last decade, and this pub closed down during that time. Has it been closed ever since?

• Closed for 8 years.

Available at a bargain price!

Just a bit too far out from town centre.

Less competition

But right on the edge of an estate full of scallies.

Suitable for Pawnbroker / Fence

And one street further up the hill used to be the red light district.

Or knocking shop

And it's Grade II listed, so you can't even get rid of that stupid Banksy "art".

Ah, the catch :D

Apart from hoping to flip it for more money, why would anyone buy this place? :rolleyes:

Edited by Kilham

Being from that part of the world I know that area well. As others have said, it's a f*cking dump.

A real sh*t part of town ... this is just a joke, trying to flog that empty p*sshole for a ludicrous amount of lucre.

And another article from earlier this month, which is basically a step by step guide of what not to do when you are trying to offload property: http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-news/local-news/2010/11/09/landmark-pub-the-whitehouse-famous-for-banksy-artwork-to-be-auctioned-at-the-hilton-hotel-100252-27623303/

They reveal what they paid for it only 7 months ago. They reveal they have done nothing to it. They tell us they had plans for the building but ran into too much red tape, complaints from the neighbours and it's listed status. In one fell swoop the 'developers' have talked the value of their 'investment' down to precisely zero.

And another article from earlier this month, which is basically a step by step guide of what not to do when you are trying to offload property: http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-news/local-news/2010/11/09/landmark-pub-the-whitehouse-famous-for-banksy-artwork-to-be-auctioned-at-the-hilton-hotel-100252-27623303/

They reveal what they paid for it only 7 months ago. They reveal they have done nothing to it. They tell us they had plans for the building but ran into too much red tape, complaints from the neighbours and it's listed status. In one fell swoop the 'developers' have talked the value of their 'investment' down to precisely zero.

Morons.

"The former public house has recently acquired a 6am convenience/mini market license including the service of alcohol."

perhaps with a licence for Class-As, it would sell....

From the Liverpool Echo report, I enjoyed this clip:

"The owners are understood to have had interest at the higher price but have not been able to complete a sale."

:)

Well the results are out now.

Wait for it

Lot 23 - 60,Berry Street,Liverpool,Merseyside L1 4JQ

De de der dar

WITHDRAWN!

Oh dear. No showing on HUTH then :-(

tim

• Closed for 8 years.

• Just a bit too far out from town centre.

• But right on the edge of an estate full of scallies.

• And one street further up the hill used to be the red light district.

• And it's Grade II listed, so you can't even get rid of that stupid Banksy "art".

With the exception of the 1st point you clearly have no idea what you're talking about:

"Estate full of scallies" Where? Chinatown?

"A bit too far out from Town Centre" There are 4 restaurants next to one another on Duke Street which is around the corner, not to mention 4 others opposite the pub itself as you work your way along towards the bombed out church, and then there's the bars...

"One street further up used to be the Red Light District" One street further up is Rodney Street, which runs parallel to Berry Street where the pub is...Rodney Street is the Scouse equivalent of Harley Street, full of Government sponsored contractors...sorry Doctors. The street up from there is Hope Street, which includes 2 Theatres, Philharmonic at one end, and the Everyman at the other, and 2 Cathedrals, again nothing to do with the Red Light District, even 8 years ago...how do I know? I've lived off Hope Street for 10 years...

Blah, Blah, Blah

With the exception of the 1st point you clearly have no idea what you're talking about:

"A bit too far out from Town Centre" There are 4 restaurants next to one another on Duke Street which is around the corner, not to mention 4 others opposite the pub itself as you work your way along towards the bombed out church, and then there's the bars...

"One street further up used to be the Red Light District" One street further up is Rodney Street, which runs parallel to Berry Street where the pub is...Rodney Street is the Scouse equivalent of Harley Street, full of Government sponsored contractors...sorry Doctors. The street up from there is Hope Street, which includes 2 Theatres, Philharmonic at one end, and the Everyman at the other, and 2 Cathedrals, again nothing to do with the Red Light District, even 8 years ago...how do I know? I've lived off Hope Street for 10 years...

Blah, Blah, Blah

I agree, Hope street is lovely and very nice place to be as a young professional- "the pretentious quarter" I have heard it described. I guess the statement above could apply just about anywhere central that is built up - for example, Notting Hill is a part of London with at least one large dodgy council estate nearby (North Ken) and a part of town nearby famed for dodgy sexual activities at night (Hyde Park).

Liverpool's problem seems to be depopulation - there is simply too much land / empty buildings / knocked down buildings for the requirements of the modern city population. Theres plenty of struggling pubs chasing a decreasing population of drinkers, with the exception of the steady population of students in the city.

I think the other problem is that the middle classes often (perhaps increasingly, I don't know) settle down in Wirral/Southport/Formby etc. taking a lot of spending money out of the city centre.

Blah, Blah, Blah

There's so much wrong with your post... but I'll just pick one thing from it: you claim to have "lived off Hope Street for 10 years", and you say that it has nothing to do with the red light district.

Sorry, but that's just plain wrong.

Hope Street was part of the red light district. Maybe it has changed and gentrified - I lived in Liverpool 10 years ago, it was the first thing that I said in my post - so I will happily accept that that part of town might have changed. Fair point.

In fact, I said in my post that it used to be part of the red light district.

And this cannot be denied, it's a matter of fact, for example this Guardian article mentions it. And there are more mentions of Hope Street's links to prostitution, also surrounding areas.

EDIT: late at night, can't type straight.

Edited by DeepLurker

I agree, Hope street is lovely and very nice place to be as a young professional- "the pretentious quarter" I have heard it described. I guess the statement above could apply just about anywhere central that is built up - for example, Notting Hill is a part of London with at least one large dodgy council estate nearby (North Ken) and a part of town nearby famed for dodgy sexual activities at night (Hyde Park).

Liverpool's problem seems to be depopulation - there is simply too much land / empty buildings / knocked down buildings for the requirements of the modern city population. Theres plenty of struggling pubs chasing a decreasing population of drinkers, with the exception of the steady population of students in the city.

I think the other problem is that the middle classes often (perhaps increasingly, I don't know) settle down in Wirral/Southport/Formby etc. taking a lot of spending money out of the city centre.

Personal opinion - Liverpool suffers from the same overdevelopment mania as any other place in the UK. Liverpool One is a laugh. The redeveloped warehouses e.g. Albert Dock/Waterloo/Brunswick have blighted the city, like city centre apartments have done in other places (e.g. Manchester or Leeds). I remember idiots living out of cardboard boxes in their precious Albert Dock apartment "cause it's an investment innit', and Louise Nurding lives here". The smarter (less stupid?) money has legged (as it always used to) towards Formby or Southport. Nothing new there.

Stupid thing is, I witnessed this 10 years ago when I lived there. But I thought it was just local madness. It was only when I moved away that I realised that other places were just as daft, I started thinking, and eventually discovered this site.

This actually to me looks like great value - the banksy has to be worth 100k on its own

Despite what has been said on here its a great area, I lived about half a mile from the pub and it was a great spot , just round the corner is the blue angel which used to be called the Razz , I used to go there all the time and it was heaving with punters most of the time, so for a pub its a great spot , especially for students and the banksy should be a great draw

compared to all the other garbage pubs and clubs in liverpool this place actually has something in that art that will set it apart ... . It is very central and I dont see a lot of downside , I would buy it if I knew someone who could do a good job running it ......

And another article from earlier this month, which is basically a step by step guide of what not to do when you are trying to offload property: http://www.liverpool...00252-27623303/

Sina Moradian and Billy Palmer paid £114,000 for the Whitehouse in February and had entered it into the Venmore auction with a guide price of £175,000. But now they say they are hoping to get just £125,000.

£114,000 tied up in that place for a year, or servicing debt if not their own capital, the auction fees. They wouldn't stand much chance of breaking even if they sold it at that price.

Wouldn't they also have to pay rates? Maybe insurance for it too. A good pic of the building here from February 2008 and no wonder they were complaining about the water seeping in.

Auction details back when they bought it for £114,000 in February 2010.

http://www.suttonker...od=24855&xSec=2

Feb 19 2010

Liverpool Daily Post

A DERELICT city centre building made famous by an urban graffiti artist sold at auction for almost £50,000 over the guide price.

The White House pub, on the corner of Berry Street, where Banksy painted a giant 30ft rat holding a marker pen, was bought for £114,000 yesterday.

Despite carrying a guide price of between £70,000 and £80,000, four bidders battled past the £81,000 mark to try to secure one of the city's most famous landmarks.

Kirkby-based business partners Billy Palmer and Sina Moradian eventually emerged victorious, saying they were keen to preserve one of Banksy's largest authentic artworks.

Mr Palmer, a 39-year-old builder, said: "We knew we were going to get it – it was just what we wanted.

"We saw it quite a while ago, but were waiting for it to come up at the right price. It was quite cheap in the end.

"We are not fans of Banksy, but we are keen to keep it. We will have to see how it goes with the rest of the works."

http://www.liverpool...92534-25868399/

Liverpool to lose half its Banksy rat to save crumbling building

It looks like it has now been sold onto the Ascot Property Group for 'an undisclosed amount' and is destined to be a coffee shop!

"Waterloo-based Ascot Property Group bought the derelict pub in November and are undertaking a £200,000 refurbishment of the building. It hopes a coffee chain will move in and open a new store at the Berry Street venue."

It's odd that the previous owners were only too happy to discuss the figures in all of their previous interviews, when they were making a paper profit, but now an actual deal has been done they're not so willing to talk.

Liverpool to lose half its Banksy rat to save crumbling building

It looks like it has now been sold onto the Ascot Property Group for 'an undisclosed amount' and is destined to be a coffee shop!

"Waterloo-based Ascot Property Group bought the derelict pub in November and are undertaking a £200,000 refurbishment of the building. It hopes a coffee chain will move in and open a new store at the Berry Street venue."

It's odd that the previous owners were only too happy to discuss the figures in all of their previous interviews, when they were making a paper profit, but now an actual deal has been done they're not so willing to talk.

Almost. The article says "It hopes a coffee chain will move in and open a new store at the Berry Street venue."

They're going to spend £200k on a refurb and hope it becomes a coffee shop! Good luck with that, lol.

Sounds like it's been taken over by another bunch of dreamers.