House Price Crash Forum

Installing Central Heating From Scratch - Cost?

CrashedOutAndBurned

We're looking at a 'in need of modernisation' house nearby as a potential purchase. We really love the area in which we rent but prices are silly so when a wreck came onto the market we took an interest.

We know the houses well - sturdy bomb-proof stone-built terraces. Very little/no structural work required. Only thing I couldn't guestimate the cost of was installing central heating from scratch - currently just has granny-style electric heaters so would need pipework, boiler, everything... It's a modestly-sized three bed house.

What's a ballpark figure?

Great opportunity to put up solar panels and possibly ground-source pump, and underfloor to keep the place free of radiators (horrible things)!

Friend of mine recently put up a solar panel. The cheap kind that heats water, not PV electric! It keeps her 2-bed detached place warm in all seasons, though getting a hot bath needs a little extra help from the (1980s) gas boiler when the sun isn't strong. I should ask what hers cost and report back!

We're looking at a 'in need of modernisation' house nearby as a potential purchase. We really love the area in which we rent but prices are silly so when a wreck came onto the market we took an interest.

We know the houses well - sturdy bomb-proof stone-built terraces. Very little/no structural work required. Only thing I couldn't guestimate the cost of was installing central heating from scratch - currently just has granny-style electric heaters so would need pipework, boiler, everything... It's a modestly-sized three bed house.

What's a ballpark figure?

I tend to source the whole kit first and then get a fully qualified gas fitter and get it certified, i've used this company on at least 5 ocassions for the kit http://mrcentralheating.com/index.html, once you have the kit i'd say, anything between £1,500 to £2,500 depending on whether you know your contacts.

Archived