House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Masked Tulip

Both Kinds Of New York Swingers Parties Are Hurting Because Of The Recession

I have waited for this point in the recession. My work here is done.

Right, work out this economic indicator - apparetly swingers' clubs in NY are hurting due to the US recession. This is being reported in several US business publications today.

The sex industry has long been called recession-proof, but swingers say that is completely untrue, according to the Daily News.

Apparently swinger parties have definitely been impacted by the recession; attendance is down and membership has dwindled.

There are two types of swingers parties. The roaming kind and the stationary kind. Apparently neither is holding up well in the downturn.

One reason why: swinging is expensive. Admission to stationary parties is usually between $110 to $150 for couples, and $50 for a single woman. But sometimes, like in East Hampton, you might pay much more, up to $300.

Party organizers haven't changed admission prices in the downturn, largely because their patrons include people who work in "more stressful professions such as lawyers, bankers, entrepreneurs, and teachers." Read: they're people who are supposed to be able to afford it.

But many people have stopped paying to swing.

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/nyc-swingers-sex-parties-are-feeling-the-pinch-of-the-tough-economy-2010-11#ixzz15sRcdKer

Apparently the sales of lipstick is down also - this usually goes up in a recession but sales are plunging in the US.

maybe they're doing the tesco meal for a tenner thing and having it at home instead

nothing a few trays of dips (whole cucumbers in this case) and supermarket houmous can't achieve equally well

Why am I not surprised you posted this?

If you read the articles these appear to be prety upscale swingers' clubs costing a small fortune to join and allegedly appealing to certain bankers, legal people, etc.

I've been educated.. I never knew swinging worked like that :unsure:

I always imagined there were probably swingers forums and couples just invited each other around for a meal and a poke at the Mrs in the sex dungeon.

Who would have guessed it was a thriving industry :ph34r:

If you read the articles these appear to be prety upscale swingers' clubs costing a small fortune to join and allegedly appealing to certain bankers, legal people, etc.

But the rich are getting richer. This does not compute. :unsure:

I always imagined there were probably swingers forums and couples just invited each other around for a meal and a poke at the Mrs in the sex dungeon.

Who would have guessed it was a thriving industry :ph34r:

the PTB are threatening to tax them with the latest and soon to be passed Food Safety laws...

hence, a campaign to show they are all so hard up so no raids on the parties please.

another government affair of unintended consequences. The Game is UP.

You are right to think that.We used to go to quite regular parties at the house of a couple from Surrey.We got invited via the internet and just took a couple of bottles of Champagne.We had a great time,hot tub,playroom etc.Cost us about £60 including petrol.