House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
FTB

Credit Card Sales People In Halfords...

I've been harrassed on 2 separate occasions now whilst in Halfords, once by a Woman and once by a Man, they open with the line "do you use credit cards?" - first one I said "No", to which her reply was

Sales: "That's fantastic, do you use Debit cards?"

Me: "Ummm, yes, can I stop you there, thanks but no thanks, I'm in a rush"

Sales: "That's really great, did you know if you use this..."

Me: "No, really, thanks anyway"

Sales: "Fantastic, that's perfect, if you use..."

Me: "Thanks but..."

Sales: "Great ok, what's your name?" *pen poised over application form*

Me: "Riiiight ok" *walks off*

Second occasion it was a guy, exactly the same demeanour and glazed staring eyes - they seem to completely ignore every word you say in response to them, I swear I could've insulted her Mum and been told "That really is perfect" - they were unbelievably focused on just getting my details on the application form. I'm far too polite for my own good, I might try and throw the next one by licking his/her clipboard or something, might snap them out of their trance anyway!

I've been harrassed on 2 separate occasions now whilst in Halfords, once by a Woman and once by a Man, they open with the line "do you use credit cards?" - first one I said "No", to which her reply was

Second occasion it was a guy, exactly the same demeanour and glazed staring eyes - they seem to completely ignore every word you say in response to them, I swear I could've insulted her Mum and been told "That really is perfect" - they were unbelievably focused on just getting my details on the application form.  I'm far too polite for my own good, I might try and throw the next one by licking his/her clipboard or something, might snap them out of their trance anyway!

Well, there isn't really a nice way of saying, "would you like to borrow large amounts of money from us to spend on frivolous items? All we ask in return is that you sign a legal document that entitles us to a large proportion of your future income for many, many years."

The best way to deal with these people in places is completely ignore them, do not be polite just carry in what you were doing and say nothing as if they wernt there.

Second occasion it was a guy, exactly the same demeanour and glazed staring eyes - they seem to completely ignore every word you say in response to them, I swear I could've insulted her Mum and been told "That really is perfect" - they were unbelievably focused on just getting my details on the application form.  I'm far too polite for my own good, I might try and throw the next one by licking his/her clipboard or something, might snap them out of their trance anyway!

I once had a woman in the street ask me where I lived, I ignored her, knowing exactly where it was going. So she decided to repeatedly shout down the street after me, in the most patronising voice possible, "Do you not know where you live? Do you need someone to help you get home?". I thought to myself, I could retaliate and I could easily humiliate her, but as she was doing such a good job all by herself I thought I'd leave her to it.

LG

RED CARD FOR STORES

Store cards are charging too much, says competition watchdog, the Competition Commission.

Charges on cards are costing the consumer between £80m and £100m a year, it says.

The provisional findings of an inquiry into the £2.5bn sector identified little competitive pressure on the annual percentage rate or insurance charges.

The long-running investigation into the market had already prompted some major card providers to lower their APRs, the CC said.

However, it believes more remedies are needed in order to protect the consumer.

The watchdog said it wanted full information and APR warning notices to ensure consumers could take informed decisions on credit and give retailers incentive to negotiate lower APRs with providers.

It is also considering the more prominent display of direct debit as a way to reduce the level of cardholders who get into difficulty through inertia or lack of awareness of APRs and payment terms.

The CC estimates that APRs are, on average, some 10% to 20% higher across the store card market than they would have been had they reflected providers' costs.

At the end of last year, there were almost 14m active store card accounts, with outstanding balances of about £2.5bn.

http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30400-13438232,00.html

Edit: Will people really be bothered to read the small print, especially when high pressure sales tactics like these are used?

Edited by libitina

Edit: Will people really be bothered to read the small print, especially when high pressure sales tactics like these are used?

Being somewhat obssesive and wanting to know what I am agreeing to, I always read the small print.

Small being the operative word.

I've often thought that small print should be, by law, of a minimum size such that it is easily readable.

Being somewhat obssesive and wanting to know what I am agreeing to, I always read the small print.

I've often thought that small print should be, by law, of a minimum size such that it is easily readable.

But people who do that are the exception to the rule aren't they?

Guest Bart of Darkness
When they ask for your name, say "Hillman Hunter" or "Talbot Alpine"

:lol:

And many of the younger members of staff will have no idea that you're winding them up.

I might try and pass myself off as Austin Healey or RM Riley.

I always apply for all credit cards. Use a random name and an address which looks OK. They get to process and send out a card which may or may not be used by some unscrupulous sole to whom it was delivered. At the very least it adds a cost to the credit card company.

I always apply for all credit cards. Use a random name and an address which looks OK. They get to process and send out a card which may or may not be used by some unscrupulous sole to whom it was delivered. At the very least it adds a cost to the credit card company.

it seems that the things which are most aggressively sold in this country are those which most people wouldn't normally be interested in without a degree of overt coercion. I bring you... Jehova's Witnesses, double glazing, etc etc

I guess they must be getting pretty desperate now. Running out of idiots to sign up.

Ask for a larger sized small-print, if the havn't got ask them to read out the small print too you! Ha. Ha. Ha.