House Price Crash Forum
Dave Beans

The End Of Council Tenancies For A Lifetime: People Could Be Kicked Out After Just Two Years

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1331540/Council-house-life-tenancies-end-People-kicked-2-years.html

New social housing tenants could be kicked out of their homes after as little as two years under Government plans. In a move that will anger some Liberal Democrat MPs, coalition moves to put an end to lifetime tenancies will go even further than previously indicated. Prime Minister David Cameron has already said he wants an end to council tenancies for life and the introduction of fixed-term contracts of 'five or 10 years'.

But, under reforms to be announced on Monday, councils and housing associations will be able to offer contracts of just two years. Tenants whose financial circumstances have improved could then be evicted, although they would be entitled to at least six months' notice. Councils and housing associations will also be able to charge rent of up to 80% of the market rate so that they can raise money to buy new properties.

The changes will only apply to new tenants - those already on lifetime tenancies and social rents will keep their current contracts. Ministers will insist the moves will make the system fairer, by giving social housing landlords more flexibility in trying to accommodate people with the greatest need. There are five million people on waiting lists for social housing.

But the plans are likely to inflame coalition tensions. Lib Dem deputy leader Simon Hughes insisted the move to introduce fixed term tenancies was the policy of neither the coalition nor his party when it was raised by Mr Cameron in August. It is thought that the Government wants to implement the changes - which apply to England only - as early as next year.

I really don't know how the Tories propose to enforce this. Most of the housing stock is owned by housing associations not government, which they have no control.

This government can't force anything.

5 MILLION people on social housing waiting lists.

Surely that one statistic alone ahows how broken our private housing market is.

Not a single penny of government money should be supporting a housing market that isn't in any way working for so many people.

A policy that is simply barking since it will encourage people not to work and stay dependent so that they can retain their home.

Another sh*t idea from a government that is rapidly proving to be just as big a clunker as is Labour predecessor

I have this crazy idea hat rather than spunking away taxpayers money bailing out the f*cked up lending by UK banks to every deadbeat round the world we use it to build a .million new council houses. After all buiding social housing is what those dangerous Communist radicals Stanley Baldwin and Neville Chamberlain did in the 1930s.

Edited by realcrookswearsuits

[quote name='realcrookswearsuits' timestamp='1290290232' post='2794771'

Another sh*t idea from a government that is rapidly proving to be just as big a clunker as is Labour predecessor

The only good thing about them is not having Gordy around.

I voted Tory but was glad we got a coalition (being a bit of a secret lefty I think). But it's just been more of the same - lots of noise about changing welfare, &c, but no actual actions. How difficult can it actually be to change? I mean, ok there are lots of people relying on the state for handouts, jobs in HAs, &c, but if the decision is made at DWP level then presumably someone can just say ... right we're going to do x now. But the Tories seem to be fixated on making things more complex.

A policy that is simply barking since it will encourage people not to work and stay dependent so that they can retain their home.

Well if you lose your benefits due to turning down a job, that may not be such a good plan.

Council houses for life is daft, passing them on to your children is even more stupid. It makes a family business out of dependency.

Welfare should be for the destitute, not those who are merely less well off.

If we want to have an actual housing market, we need to let people build homes, at the moment that is nigh on impossible on any reasonable time scale.

...because us older tenants are untouchable. Besides, it's really just about pretending to do something.

Exactly, just like the hard cap on LHA rents which in the end will affect about no one. But it has created a supernova of outrage among the opposition and an equally absurd reaction by those who can't sleep at night thinking that some Somali family is living in a penthouse flat in Mayfair on their dime.

The spinmeisters are proving they are in control.

Well if you lose your benefits due to turning down a job, that may not be such a good plan.

Council houses for life is daft, passing them on to your children is even more stupid. It makes a family business out of dependency.

Welfare should be for the destitute, not those who are merely less well off.

If we want to have an actual housing market, we need to let people build homes, at the moment that is nigh on impossible on any reasonable time scale.

Well then if i have plot of land they should allow me to build my own home, they can't have it all. if iam being restricted then the state should offer an alterantive.

Not a single penny of government money should be supporting a housing market that isn't in any way working for so many people.

What !! hardworking taxpayer money going into the drain...

Keep up at the back! ;)

Here's what I wrote yesterday.

There are so many ways that this is unworkable, it beggars belief. And I type this as someone that lives in a HA 1 bed flat. In all honesty, all that this new legislation is going to be able to achieve, is to move on the very few social tenants that win huge lottery payouts.

Rather than tackle the AST grossly favoured towards landlords, they've now effectively abolished Assured Tenancies. Well done New ConDem

I'm proud of the fact that for the first time in my 42 years life, I never voted Conservative at this years General Election.

It's not about turning down a job, it will be about turning down a promotion at your current work place or just anything so's not to take your salary over the supposed threshold that makes you instantly minted and so therefore must be booted out to live somewher at the whim of a private slumlord. I mean seriously, would you really want to take on a promotion and obviously greater responsibilty and higher salary if:

(1) You lost your home and had to move and all the hassle that it entails

(2) You were worse off financially as a great chunk of the extra salary you were now getting was lining the pockets of a private slumlord

The other obvious question is that if they are planning to bring the social rents in line with private rents in the long run, why on earth do they need to bring in this new policy in the first place? It's just spin. All this will be used for is to evect the odd lottery winner here and there.

No sir, it demonstrates the masses are not using contraception.

...because us older tenants are untouchable.

But at least it's stopping the rot, as time goes by there will be more on the new agreement and fewer on the old.

Did anyone notice the article on ITN about this proposal. The images of council properties they used were all of flats in large inner city blocks. I guess the subtle propaganda was that these are not desirable homes and no one really wants to live in one all their life, so what's the problem.

Clever eh?

Council houses for life is daft,

council housing for the few is daft.

The UK needs low rents.

I suspect most people asked why they want council housing will say price and security.

They'll still want it even if it's only for 2 years ... because it's cheap.

If all rental property were cheap then it'd be a no brainer.

The security of tenure could be given to private tenants too.

Perhaps' that's worth starting a campaign about.

"Secure cheap rents for all".

I have this crazy idea hat rather than spunking away taxpayers money bailing out the f*cked up lending by UK banks to every deadbeat round the world we use it to build a .million new council houses. After all buiding social housing is what those dangerous Communist radicals Stanley Baldwin and Neville Chamberlain did in the 1930s.

Quite so.

And very inexpensive to do since govt. can borrow long term right now for practically nothing.

Perhaps Dave/Shapps should pass another law requiring bank mortgages to be amended to include a clause requiring private owners to be evicted as their salary rises over time and forced to move 'up the ladder' thus providing a never ending demand for debt and a virtuous circle of spiralling land prices. Same difference.

How about this for an even better idea? Instead of borrowing money and wasting it on building houses for the scroungers, we just allow people to build more housing and sell it.

This costs nothing and yet produces the same benefit of improving the housing stock. What's more, the houses go to more deserving people instead of scroungers.

???

Did anyone notice the article on ITN about this proposal. The images of council properties they used were all of flats in large inner city blocks. I guess the subtle propaganda was that these are not desirable homes and no one really wants to live in one all their life, so what's the problem.

Clever eh?

+1

The dark art of negative perception isn't lost on everyone. Just like any biased news report that portrays the British as lazy work shy scum, compared to their superior hard working foreign counter parts.

Strangely they seem to ignore the hundreds of thousands who are desperate for any kind of work, the thousands of economic migrants living rough, or how high housing costs make working for some economic suicide.

This idiotic social housing plan is another example of this governments’ bizarre counter intuitive economic and welfare policy. The Tories need to check each other’s hymn sheets before they venture out on to the stage. Make work pay?? You’re having a laugh.

This costs nothing and yet produces the same benefit of improving the housing stock. What's more, the houses go to more deserving people instead of scroungers.

???

Or even allow them to do it themselves, given the land. Doing it this way removes the largest parasite layer, the landowner

The guy (grant shapps was it?) on r4 this morning was trying to say something but didn't want to give away the announcement properly until later on...

Could they be having 2 years tops tenancys for people coming IN to the country? and longer ones for UK people?

That'd be a vote winner.

The guy (grant shapps was it?) on r4 this morning was trying to say something but didn't want to give away the announcement properly until later on...

Could they be having 2 years tops tenancys for people coming IN to the country? and longer ones for UK people?

That'd be a vote winner.

These MPs just dont think do they, what stops someoen not wanting to better themselves, hey cheap housing why move up the ladder at work, why work harder. the asians companies know how importtant it is to have cheap rents, hence the likes of samsung have been subsidising workers rents and even building top quality homes to give to workers at a cheaper rate. when will the british government learn thatcheap housing means less deficit and a better economy, reduce welfare bill.

These cuts arent about making the majority of people better off , the are about how to expand the private sector and force peopel into higher rents.