House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
longtomsilver

Energy Companies Bright Ideas

This is ancedotal.

I was in my local tesco earlier on today and they were selling those awful energy saver lightbulbs (branded) for 10pence each. The ones that sap the life blood out of people. I thought there must be a catch and on closer inspection saw that nPower had supported them. I can see that other energy companies are doing the same and believe that this must be one of the energy saving practices that they are charging their customers over the odds for indirectly through higher electric bills. As a conservative estimate I would guess each one will be subsidised by us to the tune of at least a £5 maybe even £10..

No good for me as I use the halogen bulbs that fit standard bayonet fittings. Very good quality light and 30% less energy consumption compared to old fashioned incandescents.

I hate being dictated to.

:ph34r:

They've been giving 'em away for ages, got a draw full of free ones. Can't use them cos I've got halogen spot light as all round the house instead of standard light fittings. Used to use them in my old place, not too bad, but halogen are better!

Thing is though, electrical lighting is such a small part of our energy consumption that even if we all switched to energy savers it wouldn't be a big deal. Think how much energy it takes to push a one tonne car down the round for a mile and then how much it takes to light a room to the brightness of a few candles, no competition.

Anyway, I've had it with all the green wash. We'll keep digging up coal and oil and gas until we work out nuclear fusion. Then with limitless cheap energy at our disposal the planet will really be in trouble, the human race will go on an energy binge, standards of living will rocket, prices of all consumer goods will crash and pretty soon our planet will be even more of a wasteland of industrialised zones, urban areas, roads, junked consumer cr@p and monoculture farmland.

Those who think cheap, pollution free energy is the way forward, don't realise it'll just open up another can of worms. We evolved to roam the plains and hunt wild animals, reaching for the stars will be the death of us. However, I'm very happy to have lived during a time of what is the pinnacle of human achievement and living standards (give or take a few decades). Yay for broadband, fast cars, playstation, powered flight etc. Shame it'll all be the end of us, but I got mine baby B)

Edited by General Congreve

They've been giving 'em away for ages, got a draw full of free ones. Can't use them cos I've got halogen spot light as all round the house instead of standard light fittings. Used to use them in my old place, not too bad, but halogen are better!

Thing is though, electrical lighting is such a small part of our energy consumption that even if we all switched to energy savers it wouldn't be a big deal. Think how much energy it takes to push a one tonne car down the round for a mile and then how much it takes to light a room to the brightness of a few candles, no competition.

Anyway, I've had it with all the green wash. We'll keep digging up coal and oil and gas until we work out nuclear fusion. Then with limitless cheap energy at our disposal the planet will really be in trouble, the human race will go on an energy binge, standards of living will rocket, prices of all consumer goods will crash and pretty soon our planet will be even more of a wasteland of industrialised zones, urban areas, roads, junked consumer cr@p and monoculture farmland.

Those who think cheap, pollution free energy is the way forward, don't realise it'll just open up another can of worms. We evolved to roam the plains and hunt wild animals, reaching for the stars will be the death of us. However, I'm very happy to have lived during a time of what is the pinnacle of human achievement and living standards (give or take a few decades). Yay for broadband, fast cars, playstation, powered flight etc. Shame it'll all be the end of us, but I got mine baby B)

What happens if they make it illegal to own gold? BTW, as we both know, it has happened (and not that long ago) when that nice smiley President in a wheelchair was around. I certainly wouldn't rule it out if emergency powers are enacted. Owts possible.

What happens if they make it illegal to own gold? BTW, as we both know, it has happened (and not that long ago) when that nice smiley President in a wheelchair was around. I certainly wouldn't rule it out if emergency powers are enacted. Owts possible.

Did I mention gold? Are you trying to derail the thread? ;)

I was inferring I've had a good life, maybe future generations won't be as lucky as to enjoy the standard of living I've enjoyed.

The tesco ones were a bargain. Treated a neighbour to a bag full as she's been using old style light bulbs and they were just popping out of the light sockets and flying across the room.

However, I'm very happy to have lived during a time of what is the pinnacle of human achievement and living standards (give or take a few decades). Yay for broadband, fast cars, playstation, powered flight etc. Shame it'll all be the end of us, but I got mine baby B)

:rolleyes: