House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

EmmaRoid

Electric Blankets

Well if a thread about fan heaters can get some answers, I'll throw this in :D

Wife thinks we will benefit from an electric blanket but the sum of my knowledge is the "guide" in the Argos catalogue. Under blankets, over blankets, pigs in blankets, I'm confused. Will I burn my house down, should I buy the best i.e. most expensive I can afford?

Any tips?

I got hold of a couple of hot water bottles today. I prefer them to electric blankets because they cool down gradually overnight. I'm not sure if you can sleep on the modern electric blankets while they're still switched on or not? Not sure. Either way, they can be uncomfortable to sleep on and don't cover a great surface area. Just MO.

Wife thinks we will benefit from an electric blanket but the sum of my knowledge is the "guide" in the Argos catalogue. Under blankets, over blankets, pigs in blankets, I'm confused. Will I burn my house down, should I buy the best i.e. most expensive I can afford?

Any tips?

yep, before you try it on the bed its always wise to test it out in the bath first

Any tips?

I'm a bedsocks man myself obviously (electric blankets are for girls) however, as it happens I have recently assisted my elderly mother with the purchase of an electric blanket using her Tesco double points vouchers - As I recall it was a Morphy Richards. From what I could tell the general principle is that you switch it off before you go to bed (in case you p1ss yourself with predictably unpleasant consequences) and a quick look at the info. on the packet suggested it only uses around 100w so is virtually free if only used for an hour or two pre-nocturnals.

But really, can't you just **** her more often?

yep, before you try it on the bed its always wise to test it out in the bath first

WOuld you suggest the wife or the mother in law?

But really, can't you just **** her more often?

We're married.

Seeing as she won't use her hot water bottle for this I don't imagine that an underblanket is what she had in mind.

Don't use them regularly, but stay with relatives who do.

I usually end up falling asleep with them still on.. hasn't killed me yet!

As long as you don't wet the bed I'm sure you're safe (and possibly even then.. though I wouldn't want to be the first to test it).

There may be a business opportunity here for a low voltage blanket that teaches bedwetting children to mend their evil ways?

There may be a business opportunity here for a low voltage blanket that teaches bedwetting children to mend their evil ways?

:lol:

if waking up with cold soggy pyjamas doesnt teach them anything then maybe they do need your method.

Mind if I try this out on dragons den? I reckon they would love this.

I have used this underblanket when I lived somewhere that was very cold, and there was no other upstairs heating...you put it on ten mins before bed then you can then turn it down and keep it on for a further half an hour if you wish, or all night if really cold... ;)

Buy electric blanket and make sure wife knows that central heating in bedroom now has to be turned off. Wife will be under the covers in record time and seeing as you will have been in there for some time your hands will not be like blocks of ice and hence well recieved on soft parts.

PS my blanket has three settings and the highest setting is well hot to say the least. The lowest setting is designed for all night use.

I will never use an electric blanket after a mate of my dad's feel asleep on one, died (heart related) and 2 weeks or so later the neighbours complained of a smell and upon breaking down the door they found his bones after the rest of him has slow cooked / melted on the electric blanket :(

I will never use an electric blanket after a mate of my dad's feel asleep on one, died (heart related) and 2 weeks or so later the neighbours complained of a smell and upon breaking down the door they found his bones after the rest of him has slow cooked / melted on the electric blanket :(

That wouldn't have been slow cooking, that would have been microbial decomposition, totally different processes. But yeah, having something to warm up the body would speed up the rate of decomposition.