House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Mikhail Liebenstein

Unscrambling The Lloyds Bank Omlette

http://www.telegraph...s-break-up.html

An interesting call for Lloyds to be broken up by the ICB.  In my view this should happen, but not just to Lloyds.  I'd also like to see some of the American monstrosities broken up.  BoA is far to big as is Citi, and as for the investment banks, well I'd just like to see them broken.

Edited by Mikhail Liebenstein

They should be broken up, but can they be broken up in a way not to reveal insolvency?

If you split HBOS off from Lloyds it's hard to see how it would stay afloat without the taxpayer holding it's hand. Same with RBS how would that now be broken up without causing them to fail?

I would love to see them get split all the way back to whence they come from...

Lloyds, TSB, C&G, Halifax, Bank of Scotland.

Possibly even IF, the Leeds, a separate bank for Ireland (instead of Bank of Scotland(Ireland)) etc etc

As long as no investment bankers are allowed to collect fees, I'd happily agree/

All banks should be forced to split their investment arms from their high street banking operations.

It was insane to allow them to merge - IIRC it was the last Conservative government that legislated to allow them to merge (?).

If an investment bank fails, it is the investor's tough luck. The danger is that they take down the high street bank too, and we end up bailing that out, and the investment side too.

They should be de-merged, whatever it takes.

I would love to see them get split all the way back to whence they come from...

Lloyds, TSB, C&G, Halifax, Bank of Scotland.

Possibly even IF, the Leeds, a separate bank for Ireland (instead of Bank of Scotland(Ireland)) etc etc

Yup split back into those parts,then split off the investment banking divisions.

But this is fantasy banking and won't happen. Bankers should not be exposed to competition!