House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

athom

Anyone Have A New Fan Heater You're Happy With?

So far i bought a De'Longhi HVF3033MD and it sounds like a Sopwith Camel, i though it was faulty so i took it back but another one they had was the same.

Then i bought a De'Longhi HVE134 after checking it wasn't too noisy and when i get it home on the hottest thermostat setting it turns on for 30 seconds than shuts off for 30 minutes and there's no way to turn it back on.

I can't believe how poor fan heaters are these days, i've noticed that the new heaters all have only one fan speed where old heaters used to have different fan speeds for the lower heat settings. Seems a step backwards when i just want to have a low background heat i don't want the fan screaming at the speed it needs to be for full heat. This is big step backwards considering fan noise is the only annoying thing about fan heaters.

Can anyone recommend a good one?

So far i bought a De'Longhi HVF3033MD and it sounds like a Sopwith Camel, i though it was faulty so i took it back but another one they had was the same.

Then i bought a De'Longhi HVE134 after checking it wasn't too noisy and when i get it home on the hottest thermostat setting it turns on for 30 seconds than shuts off for 30 minutes and there's no way to turn it back on.

I can't believe how poor fan heaters are these days, i've noticed that the new heaters all have only one fan speed where old heaters used to have different fan speeds for the lower heat settings. Seems a step backwards when i just want to have a low background heat i don't want the fan screaming at the speed it needs to be for full heat. This is big step backwards considering fan noise is the only annoying thing about fan heaters.

Have a look at the Halogen heaters...if I had a choice I would go for one of those. ;)

I can't believe how poor fan heaters are these days, i've noticed that the new heaters all have only one fan speed where old heaters used to have different fan speeds for the lower heat settings. Seems a step backwards when i just want to have a low background heat i don't want the fan screaming at the speed it needs to be for full heat. This is big step backwards considering fan noise is the only annoying thing about fan heaters

I've got a ceramic Dimplex fan heater with electronic controls; bought if for bedroom to make sure it doesn't get too cold for the baby. Can't get away from the noise issue, but the warm up is really quick and I can't fault the controls.

Tried halogens, thought they were shight, OK when you sit in front of them, but for temperature control not good.

I can't believe how poor fan heaters are these days, i've noticed that the new heaters all have only one fan speed where old heaters used to have different fan speeds for the lower heat settings.

I bought an Argos cheapie. It's a tiny thing, with heat and fan speed control.

Does the job, no complaints at all.

Thanks for the replies

I bought an Argos cheapie. It's a tiny thing, with heat and fan speed control.

Does the job, no complaints at all.

Is there a model number on it? Do you mean you can manually alter the fan speed when it's blowing heat?

I just want something that can blow gently on the low heat setting so i can leave it on, but they all seem to blow the same fast/noisy speed now, narks me to step backwards like this. I'm suspecting a EU directive done this, dictating a minimum safe fan speed for a portable electric heating appliance. They like that sort of thing in Brussels.

Try Stiebel Eltron products - pricey but very good quality (German)

http://www.astra247.com/3148/Heating-Products/Stiebel-Eltron-CK-Fan-Heater-White/CK-20-S-20kW/froogle

Can't find a small fan heater by them. I expect their price is the real inflation included price for comparable quality to the 1980s one people still have that work. I might even ebay a vintage one i'm that bothered by this fan issue.

Thanks for the replies

Is there a model number on it? Do you mean you can manually alter the fan speed when it's blowing heat?

I just want something that can blow gently on the low heat setting so i can leave it on, but they all seem to blow the same fast/noisy speed now, narks me to step backwards like this. I'm suspecting a EU directive done this, dictating a minimum safe fan speed for a portable electric heating appliance. They like that sort of thing in Brussels.

Well this is the one I bought. You can alter the speed and heat target. It's small but works just fine. As quiet as you would expect a fan heater to be.

More money doesn't always buy you better quality.

Well this is the one I bought. You can alter the speed and heat target. It's small but works just fine. As quiet as you would expect a fan heater to be.

Are you certain you have different fan speeds when it blows hot as i've seen this before "Cool air blow feature with 2 speed settings" and assumed it meant only on cool setting? The old heaters don't have fan speed controls but automatically blow less hard when they are on lower heat settings.

More money doesn't always buy you better quality.

True. But while you can often get things that function well enough for a while, i believe there's no way to get qualities like robustness and longevity other than paying for it. Depends if i want to make a long term investment or not, a fan heater is something i'll always want to have around so i prefer to pay out if i'm sure it's really better quality. Seems like i'm in a minority though as the only ones i can find for sale are cheap far eastern imports.

Are you certain you have different fan speeds when it blows hot as i've seen this before "Cool air blow feature with 2 speed settings" and assumed it meant only on cool setting? The old heaters don't have fan speed controls but automatically blow less hard when they are on lower heat settings.

OK you picky swine, you made me pull it out of the cupboard and actually test it :lol:

And my findings are the fan speed doesn't appear to change, but the heat output does. So basically it can blow "cold" air, warm air, or hot air. All at the same fan speed. It does make noise, but nothing that would keep me awake at night. On the contrary, the noise it makes actually helps me sleep. Whether it "blows less hard" as you say on a the lower setting I doubt. I don't see how a fan can blow less hard without changing the fan speed? But anyway, I hope that helps.

If it doesn't, go and buy a fancy £120 heater tomorrow ;)

I should add that the best heater I ever had was a convector heater. No fan necessary. Those things create an awesome heat output fast. And they're almost silent.

I tried the oil filled heater years ago. I found it virtually useless, and very slow to get going.

As for all thermostats, I think they're atrocious. Extremely imprecise.

OK you picky swine, you made me pull it out of the cupboard and actually test it :lol:

:lol: you're a gent, and your findings are as i suspected. This has got Brussels written all over it. It would be so easy for fan heater manufacturers, who all try to promise "whisper quiet" fans, to simply run a different fan power when the heating power is switched, they would all do it if it was allowed i'm sure. Now i need to buy a eurostar ticket and find which directive it was and when, then travel back in time and buy a fan heater. I don't think spending more will help me if i'm right so i might as well give up and buy 3 cheapies to put around the house. There goes more £s to our export deficit.

I know what you mean about sleeping to white noise but i have an old 70s heater in my workshop and the quality of white noise is far mellower on the low/slow setting ;) Shame it's a bit creaky and smelly now though.

Can't find a small fan heater by them. I expect their price is the real inflation included price for comparable quality to the 1980s one people still have that work. I might even ebay a vintage one i'm that bothered by this fan issue.

Luckily, as I buy loads of massive curtain fan heaters to go over shop doorways I can just mention to the supplier I've got a few rooms at home I need to heat up, fast and quietly without turning all the central heating on, what would they recommend. Then a few days later some new fan heaters are magically delivered for free.

Agree with above. Oil filled heaters are pants and not a lot of good unless you're going to sit on top of them, and even then your hands could still get cold. Low cost to run though - so I wouldn't dream of putting anything else in staff rooms. :lol:

Actually i'm going to strip and clean the workshop heater see if i can spend a whole evening trying to revive something better from the past. Progress eh.

Mrs STA uses a fan heater in her greenhouse. She sympathises as she has similar experience to yours. The worst fan heater she had was the Tropic 200 which sounded like someone was playing "Twist and Shout" on the spoons when she switched it on. The Carlton 2000 is now her preferred option and she does bring it indoors to use when it gets cold. The fan is quiet, but the speed cannot be adjusted. However it does have hot warm and cold settings to use all year round.

Just finished stripping down and cleaning out the old domestic fan heater i've got in my workshop and found an inspection stamp from when it was made dated 1967!!

43 years of dust brushed out of it and it's as good as it ever was. Made in the UK! It's almost enough to make me wet eyed.