House Price Crash Forum
interestrateripoff

Millions Of Britons Still Paying For Last Christmas

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/8058806/Millions-of-Britons-still-paying-for-last-Christmas.html

More than two million Britons are still paying for last Christmas, new research has disclosed.

As millions of shoppers gear up to two of the biggest shopping weekends on the calendar, figures showed 2.3 million had still not paid off their credit card bills from a year ago.

One in seven borrowed to fund the cost of last Christmas – the equivalent of 6.9 million people, leaving a third still trying to clear their debts a year later.

It is a massive concern for millions of Britons who have struggled to survive the credit crisis and recession of the past few years, and now face being unable to afford this Christmas.

Clearly the credit card companies should just up these people's limit so that they can enjoy a really good Christmas and spend even more money they don't have. The true meaning of Christmas is to overspend buying presents for your nearest and dearest so you can prove how much you love them.

Perhaps a name change should happen and we should call it debtmas?

Not to worry. The original Saint Nicholas distinguished himself by giving bags of gold to three daughters of a nobleman, when their father wouldn't give them all they wanted. A good true Christian act: real gold, none of that nonsense about making do with what you have and spiritual riches and other worlds.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/8058806/Millions-of-Britons-still-paying-for-last-Christmas.html

Clearly the credit card companies should just up these people's limit so that they can enjoy a really good Christmas and spend even more money they don't have. The true meaning of Christmas is to overspend buying presents for your nearest and dearest so you can prove how much you love them.

Perhaps a name change should happen and we should call it debtmas?

lol... debtmas. Like it. Will plagiarise it.

Call me a Scrooge.... but I think people would be better off keeping their money and treating themelves if they wanted. Forced presents are awful, waste of cash. Saying this I do buy presents for girlfriend, family etc.

:D:D:D

Thanks for that, haven't laughed so much in ages!

From the (hijacked christian celebration) Big Business point of view

"Nick or Old Nick is a well-known appellation of the Devil. The name appears to have been derived from the Dutch Nikken, the devil"

There's an 'old nick' on the Sugar Show! :P

From the (hijacked christian celebration) Big Business point of view

"Nick or Old Nick is a well-known appellation of the Devil. The name appears to have been derived from the Dutch Nikken, the devil"

There's an 'old nick' on the Sugar Show! :P

Funnily enough in Holland Father Christmas is known as Saint Nicholas (Sinterklaas) and his assistant Black Petes (Zwarte Pieten), and he has a distinctly Catholic Pope like appearance, and they both live in Spain! :

And actually Christmas itself is Christian appropriation of a Pagan holiday (Winter solstice, Sol Invictus Festival,from the Roman Empire and Yule, Jul, Jól, Joul, Joulu, Jõulud, Géol, Geul from Viking Age, Northern Europe, and Germanic cultures), from what I hear Christs birthday was believed to be in October, but the church moved it to December to Christianize the Pagan holiday and feast, hence the conflict of conspicuous consumption with piety and all the other values the church espoused

Edited by madpenguin

The enjoyment of Christmas is exactly proportional to the amount of money spent on it.

Agreed, bring on the flagons of mead and the roast Ox (oh alright Turkey), if you want to spend it in a drafty thousand year old building obsessing about how "evil and imperfect" you are be my guest :D

Edited by madpenguin

More than two million Britons are still paying for last Christmas, new research has disclosed.

Research by?

Funded by?

& all to 'reveal' the *********' obvious

:angry:

The enjoyment of Christmas is exactly proportional to the amount of money spent on it.

the more chinese tat you buy = the happier you are

easy as!

the more chinese tat you buy = the happier you are

easy as!

Saw a marvelous bit on the BBC World news the other day apparently because of the recession Christmas decoration buyers are not going to China in very large numbers from western countries this year because they still have overstock from last year or they plain haven't got the sales to justify buying large stocks.

Had a rather nice Chinese sales lady surrounded in her shop by singing, gyrating Father Christmas dolls they can't shift :P

Edited by madpenguin

Saw a marvelous bit on the BBC World news the other day apparently because of the recession Christmas decoration buyers are not going to China in very large numbers from western countries this year because they still have overstock from last year or they plain haven't got the sales to justify buying large stocks.

Had a rather nice Chinese sales lady surrounded in her shop by singing, gyrating Father Christmas dolls they can't shift :P

Had a rather nice Chinese lady in my garage flogging DVD's.Her vocabulary seemed restricted to "Velly dirty".

Agreed, bring on the flagons of mead and the roast Ox (oh alright Turkey), if you want to spend it in a drafty thousand year old building obsessing about how "evil and imperfect" you are be my guest :D

Ever wundered why you get force fed/brainwashed with the film "Scrooge" by Big Business every year? :D

And another meaning of the word "Turkey" - as in "sold a" . . .!

Had a rather nice Chinese lady in my garage flogging DVD's.Her vocabulary seemed restricted to "Velly dirty".

Why don't you let her out now and then or would your mrs give you the chop?

Ever wundered why you get force fed/brainwashed with the film "Scrooge" by Big Business every year? :D

And another meaning of the word "Turkey" - as in "sold a" . . .!

Sorry I've tried the "sitting round a can of spam giving thanks for how lucky I am" bit, parents used to send me and my sisters to various nut job Sunday church youth groups as a kid, made me a confirmed agnostic hedonist. :D

if my hard earned cash puts a smile on some overpaid captain of industries face good luck to him, if I get some enjoyment in return I consider he's earned it

Edited by madpenguin

"I wish it could be Christmas every day" I naively used to sing. Little did I know that years later it really would be like Christmas every day. I've never had it so good.

Edited by needsleep

"I wish it could be Christmas every day" I naively used to sing. Little did I know that years later it really would be like Christmas every day. I've never had it so good.

You are Lord Young....and I claim my £5. ;)

Research by?

Funded by?

& all to 'reveal' the *********' obvious

:angry:

....in a loose sort of way the final paragraph implies it was this lot:

Ian Hughes, managing director of ConsumerIntelligence.com, said: “Christmas is only one day in the year but the financial effects appear to last all year for a substantial number of adults

....and it is marketing bait to hook people into clicking into their website with a little help from the journalist...... :rolleyes:

Funnily enough in Holland Father Christmas is known as Saint Nicholas (Sinterklaas) and his assistant Black Petes (Zwarte Pieten), and he has a distinctly Catholic Pope like appearance, and they both live in Spain! :

And actually Christmas itself is Christian appropriation of a Pagan holiday (Winter solstice, Sol Invictus Festival,from the Roman Empire and Yule, Jul, Jól, Joul, Joulu, Jõulud, Géol, Geul from Viking Age, Northern Europe, and Germanic cultures), from what I hear Christs birthday was believed to be in October, but the church moved it to December to Christianize the Pagan holiday and feast, hence the conflict of conspicuous consumption with piety and all the other values the church espoused

That has got to be the worst, most joyless Parade I've ever seen! "Hey, let's just shove a normal bus on the route and put some balloons on it." And what's with the phallic cannon? And the tractor?

Edited by RentingForever