House Price Crash Forum
bomberbrown

Tenants' Finances To Be Checked After Two Years

http://www.bbc.co.uk...litics-11802378

There are so many ways that this is unworkable, it beggars belief. And I type this as someone that lives in a HA 1 bed flat. In all honesty, all that this new legislation is going to be able to achieve, is to move on the very few social tenants that win huge lottery payouts.

Rather than tackle the AST grossly favoured towards landlords, they've now effectively abolished Assured Tenancies. Well done New ConDem

I'm proud of the fact that for the first time in my 42 years life, I never voted Conservative at this years General Election.

Edited by bomberbrown

Theres too much going on at once here isn't there.

Rightly or wrongly a lot of fear and uncertainty is being created.

Are there people behind the scenes rubbing their hands at the thought of picking up assets for pennies on the pound? Or they are just sick people that enjoy creating misery?

Typically exaggerated by the VIs. It will only apply to NEW tenants after 2011.

However, I'd rather they checked that existing tenants are sub-letting the whole house, or some of the rooms, or are claiming bnefit when a load of working people are lving there.

The unintended consequence may be, don't get a better job, you'll lose your house, or it will conveyed as such.

Hard to argue with the principle that social (subsidized) housing should be reserved for those on lower incomes. However I would imagine that as peoples' income rises they are only too happy to move out of their council houses.

The problem really is the millions of other people not in social housing who are also subsidized by the state, through SMI, LHA and a myriad of other state benefits. I would like to see the same zeal shown in ensuring that folks who get their mortgage funded by the state are subject to regular checks.

As usual policy is largely determined by its potential effct on the housing market. Kicking people out of their council houses might stimulate the housing market, whilst controlling state funding for homeowners' mortgages would be negative for HPI. I wonder who they'll target then?

why should landlord bother if he is getting rent?

Because its a heavily subsidised rent (often a quarter of the market rent in parts of London) and there is a shortage of social housing.

Social housing isn't about the rent - its about providing housing for the poorest families in need. Imagine if any one suggested someone unemployed who has won £1m on the lottery should remain entitled to their income support.

If you are in work and are on way above average earnings you should lose your council home - to release a home for someone on a lower income who needs it.

Must intervene here to point out that COUNCIL RENTS ARE NOT SUBSIDISED.

They are subject to the Housing Revenue Account rules that have ring-fenced council housing budgets since

the 1930's

typical, rather than build more homes to reduce prices for everyone, they want to shift more social tennants from the social housing section into private. Another question if they are doing this then rasing the rents to the market value then surely they want to kill of any state homes in the future, and move all of us in to private sector. These policies will only pushup rents and house prices even further.

typical, rather than build more homes to reduce prices for everyone, they want to shift more social tennants from the social housing section into private. Another question if they are doing this then rasing the rents to the market value then surely they want to kill of any state homes in the future, and move all of us in to private sector. These policies will only pushup rents and house prices even further.

Looks like council rents will go up 6.8% next year, so much for fairness.

My guess is that council tenants are being set up....they'll push rents up then get rid of Housing Benefit!

http://www.insidehousing.co.uk/news/finance/council-tenants-face-68-rent-hike/6512550.article

Because its a heavily subsidised rent (often a quarter of the market rent in parts of London) and there is a shortage of social housing.

I wonder where the subsidy is that I'm supposed to be getting. My rent has gone up by 6 or 7% per year (see link above)and will be within spitting distance of local rents within around 4 years. Gone are the days when council rents took 25% of income, we'll be up to 50% before we know it.

What to do? I'm being pushed towards RTB....and yes I do have the cash.

Is it just me or are we heading for the property owning democracy Mark 2? HB is going bye byes....

Won't this require the setting up of departments and staff to run all the checks and administer the operation- more public sector jobs in the pipeline then?

The joke is that most people in social housing are not rich eccentrics with large wads but people who can't afford to live anywhere else.

And as pointed out it does provide a wonderful incentive to those who might want to improve their situation to avoid doing so or risk being forced out of their home.

This deckchair re arrangement of the housing crisis is getting distinctly bizzare, and seems more aimed at creating a popular headline in the papers than offering a real plan.

Next up; ginger haired occupants of social housing to be forced to go blonde in the interests of social cohesion. " People with ginger hair are getting away with far too much at present' said a soon to be politically extinct liberal democrat mouthpiece- who denied that Danny Alexander would in future be wearing a wig.

Looks like council rents will go up 6.8% next year, so much for fairness.

Anything below about 100% or whatever it takes before anyone who wants to live in a council house can is unduly generous. Poor people get a sufficient allowance towards housing costs, and everyone else should pay their way (as opposed to the current system based around handing out public money in a bizarrely organised lottery).

My guess is that council tenants are being set up....they'll push rents up then get rid of Housing Benefit!

It's not long ago you thought you were safe. Still, you have had a good run even if you are right (which I doubt; HB will be just reduced to a level where people claiming it don't acquire a middle-class income as a result).