House Price Crash Forum

People Ringing You Up, To Offer To

Fairies Wear Boots

HOLA441

This woman rings me up on the landline. Says she can put me on a list to stop people ringing me up and selling me things. OK, I said, then she started reading out my phone number, so I told her I wasn't sure what my phone number was and hung up on her.

So what's the story then? Do they really have people ringing you up to ask if you want to go on a list of people not to ring up???

couldn't find anything on google.

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

Same happened to my mother last week. Woman promising to prevent unwanted phone calls for only £3 per month! Fortunately, though she's 84, she's still in possession of all her marbles, so she declined. I did TPs and MPS for her online. How many old people have been taken in by this scam?mad.gif

HOLA445

Same happened to my mother last week. Woman promising to prevent unwanted phone calls for only £3 per month! Fortunately, though she's 84, she's still in possession of all her marbles, so she declined. I did TPs and MPS for her online. How many old people have been taken in by this scam?mad.gif

Hmmm. I wonder if she was going to try and charge me afterwards! I'm quite curious now.

HOLA446

The TPS will stop a significant proportion, but by no means all unsolicited calls in my experience. In order to stop 99.9% of them, I've had to do the following:

1. TPS

2. Anonymous call reject - costs £4 a month (at least from Talktalk - might be a different price from other phone companies)

3. Being scrupulous about ticking the 'do not use my details for marketing purposes' on every form you fill out or online purchase you make.

The combination is the key: having anonymous call reject means that anyone who wants to get through to you has to reveal their number to your caller display panel; and if you've done 1 and 3, you know who to complain about and it's clear cut that they've called you when they shouldn't have done (i.e. they cannot credibly claim that you gave your consent). Almost all the call centres that do unsolicited marketing calls withhold their number anyway.

HOLA447
HOLA448

The TPS will stop a significant proportion, but by no means all unsolicited calls in my experience. In order to stop 99.9% of them, I've had to do the following:

1. TPS

2. Anonymous call reject - costs £4 a month (at least from Talktalk - might be a different price from other phone companies)

3. Being scrupulous about ticking the 'do not use my details for marketing purposes' on every form you fill out or online purchase you make.

The combination is the key: having anonymous call reject means that anyone who wants to get through to you has to reveal their number to your caller display panel; and if you've done 1 and 3, you know who to complain about and it's clear cut that they've called you when they shouldn't have done (i.e. they cannot credibly claim that you gave your consent). Almost all the call centres that do unsolicited marketing calls withhold their number anyway.

My new house phone, a Panasonic, has a number barring facility - useful on these 0800 ones that never answer when you pick up.

HOLA449

I had some twonk asking me 'How are you today sir'

'Terrible thanks - how are you'

'I'm well also - thank you'

'I said Terrible'

silence

'You have problems with your windows software'

My reply is not available for public viewing - poor chap.

'

HOLA4410

I kinda miss all of those unsolicited phone calls, I only have British gas to play with now.

I do like when people ring up, confirm my name and then ask to take me through data protection :D

They are often met with "you rang me on my number who the feck do you think it is?"

If it is anything financial then ask them to prove who they are first before giving them any details, thats always good for a laugh.

HOLA4411

I kinda miss all of those unsolicited phone calls, I only have British gas to play with now.

I do like when people ring up, confirm my name and then ask to take me through data protection :D

They are often met with "you rang me on my number who the feck do you think it is?"

If it is anything financial then ask them to prove who they are first before giving them any details, thats always good for a laugh.

I get one from somewhere in the Far East.They always say "Can I speak to Mr.McKay?" I say "Is that Wayne McKay?" "Yes"......"Never heard of him"

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415

Got a call this morning.

"Could I speak to Mr CoreValue? "

"Yes, which one"

"Mr Apple CoreValue"

"That's me. What are you selling?"

"Oh no, not selling anything, it's about the service on your Dyson vacuum cleaner"

"I don't have a Dyson, never had a Dyson, don't want a Dyson, so stick the Dyson where it won't fit. 'Bye"

How on earth does a service department ring the completely wrong person, one who has NEVER bought the product?

I'm on TIPs btw. Stops about 80% of the calls, but not the ones from overseas. I regularly get calls from the USA offering me financial products. If it's female I start by asking what sort of blouse they're wearing. If it's male I ask if they play football, as in oh, I love seeing those young men playing (american) football.

Everyone has seen this, I guess? Tom Mabe's junk call

HOLA4416

Got a call this morning.

"Yes, which one"

"Mr Apple CoreValue"

"Oh no, not selling anything, it's about the service on your Dyson vacuum cleaner"

"I don't have a Dyson, never had a Dyson, don't want a Dyson, so stick the Dyson where it won't fit. 'Bye"

How on earth does a service department ring the completely wrong person, one who has NEVER bought the product?

I'm on TIPs btw. Stops about 80% of the calls, but not the ones from overseas. I regularly get calls from the USA offering me financial products. If it's female I start by asking what sort of blouse they're wearing. If it's male I ask if they play football, as in oh, I love seeing those young men playing (american) football.

When ever I get any form of cold caller 10 seconds into the call I say oh hang on there is someone at the door, I'll be back in a minute or two. Then just leave the phone off the hook.

This is better than hanging up because in the few minutes you are wasting their time they are not harassing someone else. Also I hope it cranks up their call costs

HOLA4417

Got a call this morning.

"Yes, which one"

"Mr Apple CoreValue"

I like having a bit of fun with them sometimes ( I am sure it brightens up their monotonous day), when they ask my name I say Miss F Duck, some get it some don't, some laugh, some hold it back...if they are selling kitchens or windows I say shame you didn't call last month I have just spent £5k on new kitchen/windows. ;)

HOLA4418

When ever I get any form of cold caller 10 seconds into the call I say oh hang on there is someone at the door, I'll be back in a minute or two. Then just leave the phone off the hook.

This is better than hanging up because in the few minutes you are wasting their time they are not harassing someone else. Also I hope it cranks up their call costs

I do a similar thing, goes like this.

Caller: Can I speak to the man of the house?

me: Sure I'll just get him.

Walk away leaving phone off the hook.

Replace handset when you get the tone.

This has taken up to five minutes. A fine waste of their time.

Spiney.

HOLA4419

I used to get alot of sales calls, to be honest i tended to use the landline just for internet and use my mobile for calls,when BT decided to do a yearly contract i decided to leave them, (that's another story )

So, 6 months on, I have no landline, a £10 a month mobile contract and £10 a month mobile broadband, i know it's not everyones cup of tea, however, i don't get anymore cold calling and for £20 a month i'm happy

HOLA4420

I used to get alot of sales calls, to be honest i tended to use the landline just for internet and use my mobile for calls,when BT decided to do a yearly contract i decided to leave them, (that's another story )

So, 6 months on, I have no landline, a £10 a month mobile contract and £10 a month mobile broadband, i know it's not everyones cup of tea, however, i don't get anymore cold calling and for £20 a month i'm happy

I've had no landline for over 5 years. However, I've had people ringing me on my mobile in the last 12 months to try and sell me stuff. Partly due to falling call costs I expect, but also I suspect, due to data sharing.

I took out car insurance with ecar this year and I've had an 'affiliate company' call me twice to try and sell me life insurance. I give them a rollicking that the reason I buy car insurance online is to AVOID speaking to salesman, go away.

HOLA4421

My new house phone, a Panasonic, has a number barring facility - useful on these 0800 ones that never answer when you pick up.

Does it have a feature whereby it sends all anonymous calls (i.e. where the caller's number is withheld from the caller display) straight to the answering machine without even ringing? Such a feature would save the £4 a month on having anonymous call reject at the exchange. I once looked high and low for a phone with such a feature, but could not find one. I almost wonder if the electronics manufacturers have done a deal with phone companies to keep such a feature out of consumer handsets.

Archived