House Price Crash Forum
Longtermrenter

Failing To Understand Nearly 350% Price Increase!

Big increase here over 2 years - are they just being provocative?

Link

Nice house, nice little garden, lovely view. Lovely part of the world. I'd give him 250k tops. He'll have to find the other 1.5 million working in a supermarket like nearly everyone else in the area and good luck to him.

It's for sale by www.housenetwork.co.uk and looking at their site it seems to be a service for people to virtually sell their own home and i suspect that price came directly from the sellers **** rather than an EA.

Edit: You could also rent it for £6000 a month http://www.zoopla.co.uk/to-rent/details/13464973?featured=1&utm_content=featured_listing

Edit: just realised it's in Holcombe not Radstock so not many supermarkets to work in, this is truly deepest darkest Somerset, i have no idea what people who live there might do for money, presumably this is purely for the retiring from London market

Edited by athom

I think this is obvious. In the current market buyers are not offering any more than 30% of the asking price. Therefore increase the price by 350% and when you get offered 30% you still get the price you want. There only mistake is that they didn't raise the price by 500%. That way they would made more profit.

Big increase here over 2 years - are they just being provocative?

Link

2 years? Where are you looking for a 2008 sale?

Last I can see on Nethouse prices is for £115k in 1999

http://www.nethouseprices.com/index.php?con=sold_prices_street_detail&street=TOP+WOOD&locality=HOLCOMBE&town=RADSTOCK&cCode=EW&year=All&house_style=All&house_age=All&search_radius=15&outcode=BA3&incode=5EZ&eastingToSearch=36690&northingToSearch=14940

Top price in street £295k

Nice house, nice little garden, lovely view. Lovely part of the world. I'd give him 250k tops. He'll have to find the other 1.5 million working in a supermarket like nearly everyone else in the area and good luck to him.

It's for sale by www.housenetwork.co.uk and looking at their site it seems to be a service for people to virtually sell their own home and i suspect that price came directly from the sellers **** rather than an EA.

Edit: You could also rent it for £6000 a month http://www.zoopla.co.uk/to-rent/details/13464973?featured=1&utm_content=featured_listing

Edit: just realised it's in Holcombe not Radstock so not many supermarkets to work in, this is truly deepest darkest Somerset, i have no idea what people who live there might do for money, presumably this is purely for the retiring from London market

I dont understand it either. Who buys these places? Somerset is a hell of a commute for anyone needing to earn that sort of cash. It is also far from pensioner friendly in retirement. Who the hell would want to retire and try to survive a somerset winter in that place?

2 years? Where are you looking for a 2008 sale?

Last I can see on Nethouse prices is for £115k in 1999

well he's kept it very nice by the look of it, he surely deserves that little bonus for all his hard work

I dont understand it either. Who buys these places? Somerset is a hell of a commute for anyone needing to earn that sort of cash. It is also far from pensioner friendly in retirement. Who the hell would want to retire and try to survive a somerset winter in that place?

very true and who would want a 6 bedroom house to retire anyway, it's surely a family home. Even the 2 other houses for sale in the street are asking a hell of a lot at 330 and 350 for the area.

15062_topwood1_IMG_02.jpg

They're property millionaires with a council house worth £1.75m. But the TV is an old CRT box type <_< Well that puts me off. Where's the the twigs in a vase?

Edited by Money Spinner

OK here's a left-field suggestion.THE PRICE IS A MISPRINT!!!!

Is that not obvious to you guys? I mean any fool can see that it sold for £115k in 1999 and as far as I can remember prices have not risen 15-fold since then

Is that not obvious to you guys? I mean any fool can see that it sold for £115k in 1999 and as far as I can remember prices have not risen 15-fold since then

Ring the agent to double check, and then try not to snigger.

Sorry, the two years was a reference to the PB history which I should have pasted:

11 June 2009

* Title changed: 5, Top Wood, Holcombe, Radstock, Somerset, BA3 5EZ [Found by n/a]

07 December 2008

* Subtitle changed: from '6 bedroom detached' to '6 bedroom detached house ' [Found by n/a]

12 May 2008

* Price changed: from '£750,000' to '£1,750,000' [Found by n/a]

22 April 2008

* Price changed: from '£380,000' to '£750,000' [Found by n/a]

08 March 2008

* Price changed: from '£389,000' to '£380,000' [Found by n/a]

I did think it might be a misprint but if you look at the PB history in my post above, even if they added the one million by accident it is a doubling of price in a falling market.

Maybe its an agent trying to get us hot under the collar on purpose.

Streetview gives the impression that that area has the feel of an Irish ghost town. Maybe the saving of not having to commute to Ireland makes it worth the price. Mind you you’d need to buy an awful lot of Ryanair flights to make up the difference.

I want some of that cider.

Maybe this is a gesture, an acknowledgement of the futility of trying to sell for any price in this market.

Or maybe he's got a HPI calculator designed by Gordon Brown and since it's been on the market this is how much it should have gone up by.

Its GOLD I tell you

My link

Can't find the original post but there is GOLD in that massive garden, honest. lol

I remember it. Didn't someone ring the agent and ask?

It's a wonder the agent bothers to list it.