House Price Crash Forum
m4nclad

Property Bee - Rightmove Fix....

Hi,

If you can't see any previous details when looking at a property in Rightmove since they updated try this fix as suggested on HPC .

In Firefox .

Goto Tools/Options/Privacy/

If you have cookies turned on

click on exceptions

put http://www.rightmove.co.uk/ in the address bar and click BLOCK .

You should now be able to see the PB history when visiting a RM page .

I would like to take credit, but it's not my fix, this is from whowhatme and I found this on the property bee website http://www.property-bee.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2389

Hi,

If you can't see any previous details when looking at a property in Rightmove since they updated try this fix as suggested on HPC .

In Firefox .

click on exceptions

I would like to take credit, but it's not my fix, this is from whowhatme and I found this on the property bee website http://www.property-bee.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2389

This will only work for older versions of Firefox, in the latest version you block cookies this way.

To set Firefox to block cookies from one website:

1. Go to the website you wish to block from setting cookies in Firefox.

2. At the top of the Firefox windowOn the menu bar, click on the Tools menu, and select Page Info.

3. In the Page Info window, select the Permissions panel.

4. Underneath Set Cookies, remove the check mark from Use Default.

5. Change the setting to Block.

6. Close the Page Info window.

7. Remove any cookies that the website has already set in Firefox

Info taken from here.

This works on my PB by the way.

Hi,

In Firefox .

click on exceptions

Rock on, Tommy.

I'm using 3.6.12 and this works a treat.

Thank you!!

This will only work for older versions of Firefox, in the latest version you block cookies this way.

To set Firefox to block cookies from one website:

1. Go to the website you wish to block from setting cookies in Firefox.

2. At the top of the Firefox windowOn the menu bar, click on the Tools menu, and select Page Info.

3. In the Page Info window, select the Permissions panel.

4. Underneath Set Cookies, remove the check mark from Use Default.

5. Change the setting to Block.

6. Close the Page Info window.

7. Remove any cookies that the website has already set in Firefox

Info taken from here.

This works on my PB by the way.

great..that worked for me.

I've just tried using rightmove / propertybee for the first time since Mon and it seems to be working fine again. I'm using firefox version 3.6 and updates dated today are appearing with no error message. I've made no changes at all.

Has it been adopted?

Edited by deflation

was this a rightmove fix to block pb that caused the issue?

The issue presented itself simply due to adjustment to the layout of the Rightmove website. It just so happens that Property Bee is sensitive to such changes given it's tight integration with the site and therefore is vulnerable in such scenarios.

It should be noted that the fix is very likely to be a short term one as the layout one assumes, will be rolled out irrespective of cookie residing in your machine.

I've just tried using rightmove / propertybee for the first time since Mon and it seems to be working fine again. I'm using firefox version 3.6 and updates dated today are appearing with no error message. I've made no changes at all.

Has it been adopted?

Me too. Works fine without changing anything.

I do however have 'RequestPolicy' installed and always have. It's possible that this may have meant the problem never arose.

The issue presented itself simply due to adjustment to the layout of the Rightmove website. It just so happens that Property Bee is sensitive to such changes given its tight integration with the site and therefore is vulnerable in such scenarios.

It should be noted that the fix is very likely to be a short term one as the layout one assumes, will be rolled out irrespective of cookie residing in your machine.

Only got round to doing this yesterday and was working fine. However, I fear the adjustment of the layout irrespective of cookies might now have been fully rolled out, because I can't find any way to get RM to display as it did.

Is it still working on old versions of Firefox? And if so, is it possible to re-install old versions of it to make sure it doesn't update the layout?

Only got round to doing this yesterday and was working fine. However, I fear the adjustment of the layout irrespective of cookies might now have been fully rolled out, because I can't find any way to get RM to display as it did.

Do we still have a group of volunteers here working on the new project? I seem to remember that there were several keen faces hoping to carry the flag... :unsure:

Good news everyone... property-bee 2.0.8.0 has now been released and it appears to have solved this problem.

Massive thanks to Beerhunter and the mysterious s-p who (and I quote BH here) "has single-handedly updated it to reflect the latest versions of the sites property bee supports".

Christmas has come early!

Great stuff and appreciated.

woohoo back in business roll on the donations Thanks S-P and BH have a Happy Xmas

Does that mean property bee will continue to run, the last thing I'd heard he couldnt continue to run it ?

Does that mean property bee will continue to run, the last thing I'd heard he couldnt continue to run it ?

Beerhunter did indeed seem willing and ready to walk away and hand over the reins to someone else. Sounded like his time was never his own and everything was getting a bit much for him.

However, plenty of people with relevant skills seemed willing to help and this is what appears to have happened.

Can't imagine rightmove will be making a major change to their layout again any time soon and so even if BH did choose to take a long step back from it, now would seem the perfect time to do so.

Right, time to put my money where my mouth is and go and make a donation.

I'm surprised apps like this aren't released via iTunes in order to generate micropayments.

I've not seen anyone use the 'App' model outside of ipod/iphone sphere i.e. to use it to distribute it to desktops.

(from total lack of technical knowhow I stress)

I would have thought there's half-decent money to be made with PB, but that isn't a route Beerhunter's chosen to go down as yet. I certainly wouldn't begrudge him doing so and think it's the long-term future of the service.

As an aside question (as it's about RM rather than PB although it's PB that's allowed me to notice it), does anyone else find that searching for properties "added in the last 24 hours" isn't completely reliable? It tracks some of the properties added (or amended) in that time frame, but if you search through all the entries for the same area, PB often reveals a lot more going on than RM's results suggests. Any ideas as to why this might be?

I would have thought there's half-decent money to be made with PB, but that isn't a route Beerhunter's chosen to go down as yet. I certainly wouldn't begrudge him doing so and think it's the long-term future of the service.

As an aside question (as it's about RM rather than PB although it's PB that's allowed me to notice it), does anyone else find that searching for properties "added in the last 24 hours" isn't completely reliable? It tracks some of the properties added (or amended) in that time frame, but if you search through all the entries for the same area, PB often reveals a lot more going on than RM's results suggests. Any ideas as to why this might be?

I assume this would be Because not all alterations cause rightmove to class it as a new listing. The important ones do though. Ie price!

I restarted by Firefox today and The propertybees was updated to 2.0.8.1 and the price history within a listing is now back...

Thanks to Beehunters and the team....!!

Beerhunter did indeed seem willing and ready to walk away and hand over the reins to someone else. Sounded like his time was never his own and everything was getting a bit much for him.

I made a tentative proposal to him when he announced he wanted out of PB. He had 12 other proposals and was going to put them to his forum to whittle down the options and come up with a plan. My proposal wasn't one that leant itself to decision-by-committee and for that reason, I'm out :lol:

I wish him all the best though.

Edited by exiges

I assume this would be Because not all alterations cause rightmove to class it as a new listing. The important ones do though. Ie price!

True, but I'd expect 'status change' (in this case to sold) to be one that would class it as a new listing.

I only use PB to track status and price changes, so the ones I'd assume would trigger an appearance within RM's "added" section. But I guess it's not a foolproof system as sometimes you can search in the map and it will give 5 results, search in the table and there are only 4. Weird.

Anyway, I digress... BUMP!