House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
profitofdoom

Latest Opinion Polls

Interesting polls on UK Polling Report. The Tories had been 40-42% since the election in most polls and Labour high 30's. The last 4 have turned round with some showing 5% Labour lead.LD's steady at around 10%.

Red Ed is back from paternity leave soon so the labour poll share will plummet.

Aye, according to Guido.

I've always felt that Lib Dem voters are disillusioned Labour voters who cannot bring themselves to vote Conservative. To many folk, as a result of the coalition, voting Lib Dem is the same as voting Tory, so come the next general election people will be more likely to make the stark choice: Tory or Labour. The Lib Dem vote will collapse, probably to the benefit of Labour (sadly).

've always felt that Lib Dem voters are disillusioned Labour voters who cannot bring themselves to vote Conservative.

OK, this horse will open its mouth so you can hear straight from it! I'm a life-long Lib-Dem voter, from the days when it was just the Liberal Party. Although I'm left-wing, I would definitely not say I'm a disillusioned Labour voter because I remember the part the politically motivated trade unions played in the destruction of proper British industry, before the Thatcher government put the boot in to finish the job.

The Labour Party was financed and controlled to a large degree by the unions and still is now, to a lesser extent. The Tory party, on the other hand, was supported by big business and 'old money', whereas the Lib-Dems have always been largely funded just by individual members, give or take the odd dodgy tax exile here and there.

Now, however, I find it very difficult to support the Lib Dems. I agree that they were right to give the coalition a try. It was clear they were going to be a junior partner in the coalition but they just seem to be there as parliamentary ballast for theTories and their cuts.

If there was an election tomorrow I'd vote Labour, as a protest vote. What would I be protesting about? About the coalition's decision to punish the people for the incompetence of Gordon Brown's government and the recklessness of the bankers. So I'd be a disgruntled Lib Dem who's voting Labour.

Edited by blankster

The other day I was pondering over the cuts etc and how the conservatives would lose out in the polls, then a mob of students marched past my office chanting stuff about Nick Clegg being a traitor etc, and I realised the anger is at them to a greater extent than I realised.

The people mad at the government weren't voting conservative anyway, so I'm not too fussed about the fuss tbh.

Bad news for the libdems though lol. Suckers voting for suckers :D The lab/con marginals should remain relatively unchanged, and the lib/con marginals should turn blue - and these vastly outnumber lab/lib marginals.

Osborne realises all this and I'm confident he has more tricks up his sleeve. (Yes Osborne. He's the brains, Cameron is the face)

Edited by Fawkandles

The Lib Dems are becoming the weak point in the coalition. As support for the party drains away, what do they do? If the parliamentary Lib Dems end the coalition there will have to be an election, which is likely to all but eradicate the Lib Dems in parliament. If the party sticks together, at least they'll keep their 50 + seats until the next election, and might hold on to more of them in 4 years time than they would if there was an election tomorrow.

The austerity measures will eventually bring the coalition down. As for the Libdems, well they've shown their true colours over the tuition fees fiasco.

The austerity measures will eventually bring the coalition down. As for the Libdems, well they've shown their true colours over the tuition fees fiasco.

I think we will be back to 70's politics with Labour and Tories on around 300 seats and the LD's going to parliament in a taxi.At least without Cyril they should have a bit more room.

Yes dear.

What will bring the coalition down is that labour are better at PR than the tories. Its that simple.

Yes dear.

What will bring the coalition down is that labour are better at PR than the tories. Its that simple.

Disagree.

The Tories invented modern political PR thanks to Tim Bell (later Sir Tim now Lord Bell) and the Saatchi bros.

What will bring down the coalition is the simple reality that whomsoever inherited NuLab's fiscal Poisoned Chalice, would have to create pain in society to endeavour to bring Britain's public debt and budgetary imbalance back into some kind of order.

The Great Unwashed voter will blame the problem solvers (Or, in this case, the would be solvers) for the pain, neatly forgetting which party actually caused the debacle: and vote once again for those who created the bloody mess!

The only real solution is a Benevolent Autocracy: who do you fancy as a doppelganger for Benito?

Well: at least the bloody trains might run on time!

:lol:

???

Gordon Brown was a walking PR disaster for Labour. They would probably have won the last election with a better leader.

I'm not a Tory, I've always been Lib Dem (recently defected to Labour). But I would say the Tories have generally been better at PR than Labour, certainly in recent years.

Edited by Hyperduck Quack Quack