House Price Crash Forum
eric pebble

Polo Tycoon Friend Of Prince Charles Throws Himself Under Tube Train

Polo tycoon friend of Prince Charles throws himself under Tube train.

A Mayfair property developer who played polo with Prince Charles has committed suicide after his multi-million-pound business empire was badly hit in the recession.

Very sad actually. But a sign of the times I'm afraid.

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard/article-23899375-property-tycoon-friend-of-prince-charles-kills-himself-on-tube.do

sounds like one of these fly by yor pants serial wannabes - 3 failed marriages, as well as BTL owned a restaurant - I can't think of any more populist trendy lines of business to be in

to his credit - he didn't kill any of his family

he also had some health problems that may have shortened his life anyway

I still do not understand why people choose to commit suicide in such a public way,the effect on the driver

and passengers?

BS :(

Perhaps people just do not think clearly? Perhaps they feel all alone, isolated, forgotten and this last act is perhaps a way of drawing attention to themselves? Perhaps it is many things.

Very sad.

Perhaps people just do not think clearly? Perhaps they feel all alone, isolated, forgotten and this last act is perhaps a way of drawing attention to themselves? Perhaps it is many things.

Very sad.

I suppose, though I don't know, that 999/1000 people who think about doing this do end up talking about their problems.

Completely equating material success with identity and self worth to the total exclusion of all other considerations is probably quite rare.

Edited by xux42

I still do not understand why people choose to commit suicide in such a public way,the effect on the driver

and passengers?

BS :(

Not to mention the firemen who have to recover the body, in between getting slagged off on HPC for being overpaid useless parasites. ;)

Somebody i worked with many years ago,killed himself under a train at Piccadilly aged 28.He was very successful

worked in the Media and had just got engaged.Big personality and very popular,but, must have been beset by Demons.

BS

I suppose, though I don't know, that 999/1000 people who think about doing this do end up talking about their problems.

Completely equating material success with identity and self worth to the total exclusion of all other considerations is probably quite rare.

Some people have no one to talk to - you would be shocked just how lonely a sizeable number of people are.

Other people are surrounded by fair-weather friends or they make their career and that status the career brings along with the material things, as an example, 'everything' in their lives that when something goes wrong it turns out that they have no true friends, no family to turn to.

We live in an increasingly isolated country surrounded by millions of people. Loneliness is a terrible thing.

Just stopping and talking to a stranger who appears to be lost, lonely or who needs help can be a life-saving few minutes.

Not to mention the firemen who have to recover the body, in between getting slagged off on HPC for being overpaid useless parasites. ;)

Yeah, that's the first thing a parent thinks when a firefighter rushes out of their collapsing house carrying their 2 year old child to safety.

"overpaid useless parasite"

My mates dad was an engine driver into Liverpool St until his retirement.He had three "jumpers".On each occasion he said that he could tell their intention as he approached the platform but could do nothing about it of course,you can't swerve.He was unaffected but had coilleagues so traumatised that they had to retire.Pretty inconsiderate all round,although it could be an option for Lord Young, although bearing in mind his title jumping in the lake might be more appropriate.

Richard Cory

Whenever Richard Cory went down town,

We people on the pavement looked at him:

He was a gentleman from sole to crown,

Clean favored, and imperially slim.

And he was always quietly arrayed,

And he was always human when he talked;

But still he fluttered pulses when he said,

"Good-morning," and he glittered when he walked.

And he was rich, richer than a king,

And admirably schooled in every grace:

In fine, we thought that he was everything

To make us wish that we were in his place.

So on we worked, and waited for the light,

And went without the meat, and cursed the bread;

And Richard Cory, one calm summer night,

Went home and put a bullet through his head.

Edwin Arlington Robinson

Yeah, that's the first thing a parent thinks when a firefighter rushes out of their collapsing house carrying their 2 year old child to safety.

"overpaid useless parasite"

My impression is that it is not that they are overpaid, it is that the unions effectively prevent people who will do it for less from doing it. Is hoarding jobs really that different from hoarding houses?

There was a particularly sad case earlier this year with a car driver deciding to commit suicide by driving into an on-coming lorry. Do you remember the Chirk by-pass being closed? He killed himself and the lorry driver who had a young family. There was a suicide not in the car.

Some people have no one to talk to - you would be shocked just how lonely a sizeable number of people are.

Other people are surrounded by fair-weather friends or they make their career and that status the career brings along with the material things, as an example, 'everything' in their lives that when something goes wrong it turns out that they have no true friends, no family to turn to.

We live in an increasingly isolated country surrounded by millions of people. Loneliness is a terrible thing.

Just stopping and talking to a stranger who appears to be lost, lonely or who needs help can be a life-saving few minutes.

Sometimes TMT you come out with quite sensible posts which is quite surprising really when one sees some of the misguided drivel you come up with. The above was the former type.

I still do not understand why people choose to commit suicide in such a public way,the effect on the driver and passengers?

I presume because death is guaranteed to be instantaneous and foolproof.

I was once waiting at Northallerton station when, as an express train passed through without stopping, I heard another waiting passenger scream. I hadn't seen the jumper (I was reading at the moment it happened), but she had. The train disappeared into the distance (I was later told that they take 2-3 miles to execute an emergency stop from high speed cruising), and what was left on the track is not something I'd ever want anyone to have to see, let alone handle or remove. I felt a bit light headed and nauseous at the sight, but although I don't think it had a huge long-term effect on me (I don't and never did lie awake at night, or anything like that), it's certainly one of many reasons why I don't like rail travel and will avoid it if at all possible. I'm certainly very glad that I didn't have to do the job of the police, ambulance and railway crews who turned up a few minutes later.

My other half was down in London yesterday, apparently three people lobbed themselves under Tube trains on Wednesday alone. Not sure if this geezer was one of them.

When I lived in Paris in the 1990's , the "jumpers" usually did it on Friday afternoons, to attract the most attention; I imagine. Sad end to anyone's life....

This one from a few weeks ago was really bizarre. Murder, not suicide.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1323879/Woman-pushed-transvestite-Kings-Cross-Tube-train.html

Not the first time I've heard of it...

A DRUG addict who repeatedly pleaded to be committed to hospital because demons ordered him to do “bad things” pushed a commuter under a Tube train, the Old Bailey was told yesterday.

Christophe Duclos was left slumped on the tracks with a severed left arm and broken bones after he was sent flying into the path of a fast-moving Underground train during rush hour. A Frenchman who had worked in Britain for six years, he died in hospital three days later.

Just hours before Stephen Soans-Wade, 36, pushed M Duclos on to the tracks he had told police he was hearing voices in his head, the court was told. He was taken to hospital but left before doctors were able to assess him. He had a history of trying to get himself sectioned under the Mental Health Act and was known for becoming violent when discharged because doctors found that he was not mad, it was alleged.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article1001797.ece

Can a rich, successful high flying person ever have a close intimate relationship with anyone.?

So much of their time is taken up maintaining this seemingly perfect lifestyle yet can they ever stop and enjoy their rewards. Can they ever relate to anyone except other people who are driven like this.

We always see glowing tributes in obituaries after they die, but do these reflect on the person who dies or the person who is giving them.

I have met a few high flyers in my time and I have always felt a certain disconnect between some of them and other ordinary people. They haven`t the time to talk of mundane things which is what most of life is made up of.

I find it difficult to understand where they get the time to do all of these things, that are required of them when running big businesses or the such like.

Look at Lord Young coming up with a statement, like that when he said the UK mortgage holders have never had it so good. If there is ever an example of dissconnect from other folk then that is it....

I presume because death is guaranteed to be instantaneous and foolproof.

I was once waiting at Northallerton station when, as an express train passed through without stopping, I heard another waiting passenger scream. I hadn't seen the jumper (I was reading at the moment it happened), but she had. The train disappeared into the distance (I was later told that they take 2-3 miles to execute an emergency stop from high speed cruising), and what was left on the track is not something I'd ever want anyone to have to see, let alone handle or remove. I felt a bit light headed and nauseous at the sight, but although I don't think it had a huge long-term effect on me (I don't and never did lie awake at night, or anything like that), it's certainly one of many reasons why I don't like rail travel and will avoid it if at all possible. I'm certainly very glad that I didn't have to do the job of the police, ambulance and railway crews who turned up a few minutes later.

What an awful experience for all involved.

You what, there is something called 'avoidance'. You say that you don't think it has had a huge affect on you but you now avoid train travel if possible.

Not meaning to pry or judge or point a finger but just wanted to point out that avoidance is often a symptom of traumatic stress or post-traumatic stress disorder.

In other words, perhaps have a sit down and a think about this and perhaps have a chat with someone.