House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

blobloblob

I Hate The Manchester Evening News

Drink drive story, reader comments allowed.

Widow crashed into cars after wine binge

And another, with reader comments allowed.

Jailed, car salesman FIVE times drink-drive limit

Drug driving story for a bit of variety. Reader comments allowed.

Dopey Manchester United fan drove while high on cannabis – at half the speed limit

Drink drive story. User comments NOT allowed.

Drink-drive policeman escapes ban after barman tells court he 'spiked' drinks to cheer him up

Spot the difference.

To be fair, there is not much of a comparison is there?

There are 3 clearly guilty parties that were either stoned or blatantly drunk and a copper only just over the limit.

Even if the copper was lying and knew he had drank too much 5mg over the limit is hardly a 2 bottle wine binge is it?

I know what you are getting at but the examples dont help you.

To be fair, there is not much of a comparison is there?

There are 3 clearly guilty parties that were either stoned or blatantly drunk and a copper only just over the limit.

Even if the copper was lying and knew he had drank too much 5mg over the limit is hardly a 2 bottle wine binge is it?

I know what you are getting at but the examples dont help you.

I would like you to be permitted the opportunity to write that comment on their webragsite.

I would like you to be permitted the opportunity to write that comment on their webragsite.

I would have liked the chance too. Do they allow comments on all of their stories usually?

I can understand why they blocked it though, doesn't take much imagination as to the endless "one rule for pigs" comments does it?

I would have liked the chance too. Do they allow comments on all of their stories usually?

I can understand why they blocked it though, doesn't take much imagination as to the endless "one rule for pigs" comments does it?

It's rare that you can't comment. Interestingly, an article about Phil Woolas recently had the comments disabled too.

If I could write a comment on this story though, it would be to question how this policeman could drink, by his own admission, almost 4 pints of Stella and yet only be marginally over the limit. I think the story is even fishier than it first appears.

It's rare that you can't comment. Interestingly, an article about Phil Woolas recently had the comments disabled too.

If I could write a comment on this story though, it would be to question how this policeman could drink, by his own admission, almost 4 pints of Stella and yet only be marginally over the limit. I think the story is even fishier than it first appears.

yep, something does not add up. If you drink 4 pints of stella then firstly, you know that you have drank it and secondly, you would be far more than 5mg over the limit.

More likely he had 2 pints or 2 tops and the landlord is covering the coppers ar5e.

yep, something does not add up. If you drink 4 pints of stella then firstly, you know that you have drank it and secondly, you would be far more than 5mg over the limit.

More likely he had 2 pints or 2 tops and the landlord is covering the coppers ar5e.

Isn't perjury a crime...

Ah, that's right. It's not if you are a cop or are lying for one.

Northern& Labour party supporters, springs to mind.

The MEN's particular form of impartiality is notably left-leaning.

He ordered Stella shandy. And the barman gave him tops, did you read it?

And there's no mention of how long it took him. In my experience, you drink shandy slower, so if he was there 2 hours, he'd have metabolised the equivalent of about one pint anyway, depending on liver efficiency of course.

And there's no mention of how long it took him. In my experience, you drink shandy slower, so if he was there 2 hours, he'd have metabolised the equivalent of about one pint anyway, depending on liver efficiency of course.

Yes I read it.

I read the bit where it says that the barman gave him one shandy and four larger tops. There is no way that you drink 4 stella tops and have no idea that they were not shandy. There is also no way that you drink 4 stella tops and end up 5mg over the legal limit, no matter how good your liver is ofcourse.

All on top of a shandy, ofcourse.

Riiight... exactly like Jean Charles de menzes jumped over the barriers and carried a bomb right? And Harry stanley pulled a gun on cops yet miraculously was shot in the back of the head right?

My dad was a copper and I was raised around them so this isn't a "burn the pig" thing for me. But something does not add up and I am capable of being realistic and reading between the lines.

The law should apply to everyone. If this was a wagon driver then the judge would have torn his license up in front of him without a second thought about him losing his job. A policeman should be no different.

He may have been just over the limit but just over is still over.

Just over is a long way over for someone that should know better and is paid to uphold the law that they have broken.

Even if he was getting what he thought was shandy that still means that he had 5 pints of it. Who here that drives would have 5 pints of shandy and then drive? That is sailing pretty close to the wind even for someone that isnt supposed to know better.

I wonder how many people this guy has pulled that have been just over or how many he has done the morning after.

Depends, dunnit?

If an average person can drink a pint of the stuff, then how many pints can someone with 30+ stone body weight consume and be only just over the limit?

Depends, dunnit?

If an average person can drink a pint of the stuff, then how many pints can someone with 30+ stone body weight consume and be only just over the limit?

not 4, besides which he doesnt look 30 stone in his photo

the drink drive limit is to do with the blood alcohol limit which is set at 80mg. A general rule is that blood constitutes 7-8% of bodyweight. The average man of 70 kg has about 8 pints of blood but can have more than 12 pints depending on weight. I will let you play with the calculator

You're still not allowing for how long he was in the pub. I was taking an 'average' liver and blood capacity but theoretically, if I drank one pint of lager per hour for 4 hours, :rolleyes: I'd expect to by only just on the drink drive lmit, unless it's white lightning, 6% Weston's cider or similar loopy juice that is.

The point that he should have been able to tell the difference between a proper shandy (50% lemonade) and a tops is valid though. I'm sure I would.

I seem to remember somebody a few years ago escaping a ban after the landlord admitted that a very strong lager (Stella maybe?) had been connected to a weaker brand's pull by mistake. Can't find it on google.

Yes I read it.

I read the bit where it says that the barman gave him one shandy and four larger tops. There is no way that you drink 4 stella tops and have no idea that they were not shandy. There is also no way that you drink 4 stella tops and end up 5mg over the legal limit, no matter how good your liver is ofcourse.

Shandy would still be half a pint in a pint .. so if it was pints he was drinking he'd have had two pints which is 3 units a pint... which is technically a binge (Binge being 6 units in one session)

And lager top is so different to shandy most sane people would question it.

IMO you shouldn't be driving if you've had any booze and I think people who want to smoke cannabis ever shouldn't ever drive either.

Depends, dunnit?

How many 30 stone coppers are there round your way?

You're still not allowing for how long he was in the pub. I was taking an 'average' liver and blood capacity but theoretically, if I drank one pint of lager per hour for 4 hours, :rolleyes: I'd expect to by only just on the drink drive lmit, unless it's white lightning, 6% Weston's cider or similar loopy juice that is.

The point that he should have been able to tell the difference between a proper shandy (50% lemonade) and a tops is valid though. I'm sure I would.

I seem to remember somebody a few years ago escaping a ban after the landlord admitted that a very strong lager (Stella maybe?) had been connected to a weaker brand's pull by mistake. Can't find it on google.

a pint of stella is 2.8 units. It takes an average man 1 hour for the liver to process 1 unit of alcohol.

if you drank 1 pint per 4 hrs then your body would have broken down 4 units and you could still have 7.2 units inside you. But this is just an interesting bit to argue about and does not detract from the obvious points.

Yes I read it.

As others have pointed out you are completely wrong. I would happily prove this myself. I would happily drink 10 pints of Stella then walk out in front of a selected Policeman and into my car. I would happily bet you £100k that I would not be convicted of drink driving.

Of course the time I took to undertake this task would be rather important. ;)

Of course the time I took to undertake this task would be rather important. ;)

As would be the fact you're the Chief Superintendent of Greater Manchester Police!

As would be the fact you're the Chief Superintendent of Greater Manchester Police!

Yes but don't let that slip. Aye aye - us lot stick together !!

Myth. I'm sober on Monday even if I have 40+ units Saturday. I'm 13 stone.

dont be a dumbass.

there are many things that affect the body's ability to process alcohol. Food consumed, water intake, general fitness, body mass, time etc etc all play a part.

Very little has any bearing on the body's ability to process units while sat in the pub with a pint in your had which is what is being discussed. That being the case then the rule of thumb, 1 unit an hour, stands.