House Price Crash Forum
happy_renting

What You Get In The Us For The Average Uk House Price

Latest Land Registry figures gives average UK house price as £167k, = US$268K at todays exchange rate.

US$250K will buy you this in Atlanta, Georgia.

Not quite to my taste, but compare it with what you'd get in the UK.

Property prices start at $500 in Georgia, it seems.

Latest Land Registry figures gives average UK house price as £167k, = US$268K at todays exchange rate.

Looks a nice place. But for that sort of money in the USA I have seen far far better. House on the edge of a lake etc. Imagine coming home and going to the bottom of the garden to fish whilst drinking a chilled beer. Perfect.

Or you could buy a one bedroom terraced house, struggle to find somewhere to park your car, listen to the screaming neighbours through the wall and put on the idiot box and watch Coronation Street. Horses for courses I guess.

looks great but could I get a wage to pay the mortgage? are their property taxes more than my council tax? will I get robbed or shot there?

looks great but could I get a wage to pay the mortgage? are their property taxes more than my council tax? will I get robbed or shot there?

Depends on the colour of your skin to a large extent.

Yes Atlanta has some large internationals there, but visas are difficult to get. No, taxes as a whole are usually much cheaper. Probably, if you insist on wearing a white pillow case on your head.

Im a bit skeptical of the usefulness of these random comparisons in any meaningful way. I compare the areas i know people from/ have visited- ie middle class, safe, good schools

ie Colorado springs, cheapest single family home $165k 1400 ft2, right upto $1million ranches. I think its been shielded from massive layoffs due to lots of military bases and defense contractors.

http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-search/80921?source=hp#/sortby-1

or East Pennsylvania - about 1hr from NYC, comparable to Swindon or Northampton are to London, cheapest home $80k shotgun home, cheapest proper homes start at $140k for townhouses.

http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-search/18020/?source=hp#/sortby-1

Square footage are more generous than here, but prices arent that different to Swindon or Northampton. Those arent prime big city locations or anything.

I think Florida/California/Michigan/Arizona/Nevada and parts of Texas and Atlanta are the exception rather than the rule.

A house like that of the simpsons would be up for over £2million in the UK :)

Even the family guy house would be around £400-500k if it was close the London (st albans possibly 800k), similar for the american dad house but he's on an fbi agent's salary.

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=atlanta%20shooting&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbo=u&tbs=nws:1&source=og&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wn

I think Atlanta could be the next detroit. Being carved out of a forest, and having things like stone mountain nearby and lots of leafy streets, it does look beautiful, but then so did Detroit before about 1965.

A house like that of the simpsons would be up for over £2million in the UK :)

Even the family guy house would be around £400-500k if it was close the London (st albans possibly 800k), similar for the american dad house but he's on an fbi agent's salary.

IIRC St. Albans, along with Gerrards cross are the most expensive places on average in the UK - probably because theyre mostly detached rather than flats like in Chelsea, but still.

Homer Simpson would probably live in Luton or one of the Medway towns - ie the cheapest places within 30 mins or so of London.

Looky here, 3 bed shoebox in St Albans, nearly £500k

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-28267957.html?premiumA=true

3 bed Shoebox in Houghton regis 5 miles down the road, combining all the misery of Luton-o-stan and Dunstable-chav-city, under £150k

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-27671890.html

I think Atlanta could be the next detroit. Being carved out of a forest, and having things like stone mountain nearby and lots of leafy streets, it does look beautiful, but then so did Detroit before about 1965.

You think that... based on what?

You think that... based on what?

Dependance on one industry (financial services, like detriot with cars)

No laws preventing sprawl allows people to relocate, cheap land encourages this, inner city becomes a ghost town.

I suppose in the longer term if oil gets too expensive it stops functioning. IIRC Altanta along with Houston is the most car dependant city in the US.

Racial Tensions.

Religious nutters.

Hot and humid summers and power cuts, no airconditioning, lots of people with guns.

Obama.

Pretty much similar to the rest of the US but worse.

Dependance on one industry (financial services, like detriot with cars)

No laws preventing sprawl allows people to relocate, cheap land encourages this, inner city becomes a ghost town.

I suppose in the longer term if oil gets too expensive it stops functioning. IIRC Altanta along with Houston is the most car dependant city in the US.

Racial Tensions.

Religious nutters.

Hot and humid summers and power cuts, no airconditioning, lots of people with guns.

Obama.

Pretty much similar to the rest of the US but worse.

Apart from that, not too bad then.

Im a bit skeptical of the usefulness of these random comparisons in any meaningful way. I compare the areas i know people from/ have visited- ie middle class, safe, good schools

ie Colorado springs, cheapest single family home $165k 1400 ft2, right upto $1million ranches. I think its been shielded from massive layoffs due to lots of military bases and defense contractors.

http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-search/80921?source=hp#/sortby-1

or East Pennsylvania - about 1hr from NYC, comparable to Swindon or Northampton are to London, cheapest home $80k shotgun home, cheapest proper homes start at $140k for townhouses.

http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-search/18020/?source=hp#/sortby-1

Square footage are more generous than here, but prices arent that different to Swindon or Northampton. Those arent prime big city locations or anything.

I think Florida/California/Michigan/Arizona/Nevada and parts of Texas and Atlanta are the exception rather than the rule.

As with UK, a good deal depends on location.

My sister lives in Cambridge (Mass) where a $750,000 AP for a not-very-big 3 bed condo with no garden or garage is nothing unusual.

The sort of bigger family houses we think of as typically Yank go for a hell of a lot more.

I was moaning recently about 2 bed flats around here costing £250K - she said that wouldn't be considered excessive around her neck of the woods.

Edited by Mrs Bear

As with UK, a good deal depends on location.

My sister lives in Cambridge (Mass) where a $750,000 AP for a not-very-big 3 bed condo with no garden or garage is nothing unusual.

The sort of bigger family houses we think of as typically Yank go for a hell of a lot more.

I was moaning recently about 2 bed flats around here costing £250K - she said that wouldn't be considered excessive around her neck of the woods.

Yep, sounds likely. Manhattan or have-work-non-get-shot areas of California could make Mayfair look like decent value.

The other thing you have to consider is tax. My colleague in Illinois has a $170k house but pays $5k/year property tax on it, which is perfectly normal.

http://www.liladelman.com/mls_details.asp?table=tblMLS_SFM&pid=968150

Ok here goes. I live in Rhode Island. This is about 500K in pounds but trust me Newport aint Atlanta and Belle Vue Avenue is the top place to be. This would have been $1.5m a couple of years ago. Thinking of it myself only getting over the bridge is a pain every day.

http://www.liladelman.com/mls_details.asp?table=tblMLS_SFM&pid=968150

Ok here goes. I live in Rhode Island. This is about 500K in pounds but trust me Newport aint Atlanta and Belle Vue Avenue is the top place to be. This would have been $1.5m a couple of years ago. Thinking of it myself only getting over the bridge is a pain every day.

hahahahaha stoopid americans :lol:

how can they list that monstrocity as victorian?

why do they even list houses as victorian? did they forget about the war of independence and the fact that victoria wasn't in charge of them then or is it just because they have no history?

Minimum wage is also higher in the US than the UK after taxes, even before taxes in some states. On top of that food is less than half the price of the UK, as are cars, clothes, electronics, property and basically most things.

You'd have to be a fool to work in the UK on a low wage if you didn't have other options. I think living in Britain is only worth it if you earn over 20k per year AND don't have a very stressful job for the long term.

Anyone planning to up sticks to the USA better factor in that you will be shelling out about $25,000/yr for health insurance. In some places it may be even more (especially if you have a few kids).

Anway just something you might want to consider.

Also, I heard a rumour that Sarah Palin may be the next President of the USA- hmmm.....

Anyone planning to up sticks to the USA better factor in that you will be shelling out about $25,000/yr for health insurance. In some places it may be even more (especially if you have a few kids).

Anway just something you might want to consider.

Also, I heard a rumour that Sarah Palin may be the next President of the USA- hmmm.....

Yeah for price comparison purposes that's a bit of a bombshell - 25k USD a year would pay a mortgage of(say) 400k USD)

Add 400k USD to the price of any American house when comparing with the UK and they don't look so cheap.

Minimum wage is also higher in the US than the UK after taxes, even before taxes in some states. On top of that food is less than half the price of the UK, as are cars, clothes, electronics, property and basically most things.

You'd have to be a fool to work in the UK on a low wage if you didn't have other options. I think living in Britain is only worth it if you earn over 20k per year AND don't have a very stressful job for the long term.

health insurance costs?

Looks a nice place. But for that sort of money in the USA I have seen far far better. House on the edge of a lake etc. Imagine coming home and going to the bottom of the garden to fish whilst drinking a chilled beer. Perfect.

Any links to these houses on the edge of a lake?

It's not even worth contemplating living in the US unless you marry a US citizen, and even then it's not straightforward. Canada however is a viable option providing you have professional qualifications and your health.

For what it's worth, I'm confident that there are a sufficient number of Americans of moderate to high intelligence to ensure that Palin gets nowhere near the White House.

Atlanta really is a deeply unpleasant place. I have the misfortune to travel there quite regularly. It is very very deprived, the city centre is horrible and there are few major employer’s (aside from Coca Cola). The airport is probably the worst in the world outside of Africa.

It is also one of only two places in the world where I have had someone point a gun at me.

The only two things it has going for it are the Aquarium and a particularly fine Hooters Diner. Oh, and Fat Matt's Rib Shack.

For what it's worth, I'm confident that there are a sufficient number of Americans of moderate to high intelligence to ensure that Palin gets nowhere near the White House.

History would tend to disagree.

Who was it that voted in that illiterate moron Bush?