House Price Crash Forum
bumblebeeandboy

Samaritan's Purse Shoebox Appeal 50% Down

Just a little anecdotal nothing to do with houses but more about the state of peoples' finances. Our Son's school does this appeal every year whereby the children (really the parents) buy toys, books, sweets and put them in a decorated shoe box along with £2.50 and these are distributed to needy children worldwide. There are 120 children at the school and every year approx 100+ boxes are brought in. This year with only 2 days to go unti the deadline only a total of 47 have been brought in.

Many parents were commenting on it and all saying well it's the recession etc etc. Several of the parents i know who did make it up confessed they didn't really buy anything this year but raided old toys the kids didn't play with.

Many parents were commenting on it and all saying well it's the recession etc etc. Several of the parents i know who did make it up confessed they didn't really buy anything this year but raided old toys the kids didn't play with.

We were told new toys only. I thought that was silly. Most of my kids toys are second hand, why should I buy new stuff for someone else.

Our box has gone off to Afghanistan, I wonder if the batteries will be used to make roadside bombs.

We were told new toys only. I thought that was silly. Most of my kids toys are second hand, why should I buy new stuff for someone else.

Our box has gone off to Afghanistan, I wonder if the batteries will be used to make roadside bombs.

Did you not remove them ? Rather basic and deadly error.

My relative puts these shoeboxes together - she raids the charity shops and gets fabulous mint condition items for 50p.

I see no reason why people in need are actually in need of brand new items.

Children in Need will be interesting this year.....

Finding it difficult to find the historical figures but last year was the first time they didn't improve on the previous year, it was down by a half million.