House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TylerDurden

But Is It Actualy Dangerous?

I collected my car from the garage earlyer and was informed i need to get my tyre changed ASAP as it has a screw stuck in the tread.

I have a spare in the boot and am happy to change a wheel at the side of road if needs be.

I also usually have screws in my tyres, no idea where they come from but when I've had tyres changed before they often say "OOOH, you were lucky, you had a screw in that one" and I've noticed them on loads of other cars.

Were obviously told they're dangerous so we go and buy new tyres but really, How dangerous are they. I dont know the answer, but all my punctures have been from either hitting something in the road, hitting a curb, Old knackered/perished rubber, or having them slashed. Never because of a screw.

Now i know if it was running low pressure it can be dangerous but this tyre isnt. Just has a screw in the rubber tread. How "dangerous" can it possibly be??

Its a breach in the tyre so i guess there is some risk of a blowout especially if something snags the screwhead while you are driving.If its on a front wheel and you do a lot of higher speed driving i would get it changed immediately as a front wheel blowout at high speed can be really dangerous. I would just switch it with the spare for now to be on the safe side.

I collected my car from the garage earlyer and was informed i need to get my tyre changed ASAP as it has a screw stuck in the tread.

I have a spare in the boot and am happy to change a wheel at the side of road if needs be.

I also usually have screws in my tyres, no idea where they come from but when I've had tyres changed before they often say "OOOH, you were lucky, you had a screw in that one" and I've noticed them on loads of other cars.

Were obviously told they're dangerous so we go and buy new tyres but really, How dangerous are they. I dont know the answer, but all my punctures have been from either hitting something in the road, hitting a curb, Old knackered/perished rubber, or having them slashed. Never because of a screw.

Now i know if it was running low pressure it can be dangerous but this tyre isnt. Just has a screw in the rubber tread. How "dangerous" can it possibly be??

Funny enough, I had a flat this morning because of a screw in the tyre. Noticed whilst changing it that both front tyres were practically racing slicks (mostly worn on the insides). Another £150..

Screw lets in water (salt corrosion in winter)/oxidation > = rusting of the internal wires in the tyre = weak spot & bulge = (high speed) blowout = crash/poss death!

It's a ex-tyre!

make sure it's tight and don't worry about it unless you've got a slow puncture. If your risk was like 1 in 100 before, it's probably 1 in 99 now

Also beware of garages telling you to replace tyres, citing a screw or nail, when in reality the fault is nothing more than a rimseal failure. This happened to me a few years ago. I was skint at the time and decided to keep the tyre with regular re-inflating (the pressure dropped to around 15 PSI over about 10 days). I was prepared to replace it at the next MOT, and told the garage (a different one) to do it. When they looked at the wheel, they found that the tyre was fine, but that the rimseal glue had failed. Total cost = £15 to re-do the rimseal and rebalancing. I got another 10k miles out of that tyre.

Its a breach in the tyre so i guess there is some risk of a blowout especially if something snags the screwhead while you are driving.If its on a front wheel and you do a lot of higher speed driving i would get it changed immediately as a front wheel blowout at high speed can be really dangerous. I would just switch it with the spare for now to be on the safe side.

Not as dangerous as a rear wheel blowout.

WRONG all of you are wrong. A screw in the tyre is fine.

Just unscrew it and plug it. A wood screw will do.

In fact the Cargol turn and go is merely a wood screw which you screw into punctures and cut the head off.

Plug it and its good as new. I plugged my CBR tyres three times. I've gone at top speed 167mph on the bike and I remain fine.

WRONG all of you are wrong. A screw in the tyre is fine.

Just unscrew it and plug it. A wood screw will do.

In fact the Cargol turn and go is merely a wood screw which you screw into punctures and cut the head off.

Plug it and its good as new. I plugged my CBR tyres three times. I've gone at top speed 167mph on the bike and I remain fine.

Yes but Ken - you do appear to have a death wish. :lol:

Not as dangerous as a rear wheel blowout.

are you kidding?

Seeing as I steer with my front wheels it is my opinion that a blow out on the front would be much more dangerous on the motorway.

That said, a screw in the tyre is no big deal but if it was in a front tyre then I would swap it onto the back.

It's probably a good idea to have the tyre fixed or replaced! Driving round with a screw in your tire is a bad idea! :huh:

Expense be dammed.

You don't want the last thought you ever have to be "Oh aye a screw hole in my tyre *will* cause a blow out" as you fly off the motorway and tumble around inside your metal coffin.

If you only drive at 30 miles an hour on normal roads then it probably doesn't matter desperately - but if you travel at speed then ensure your tyres are in as good a condition as possible.

Think of it this way. If it does cause the tyre to give out resulting in an accident do you want to be relying on that statement at Court?

Just get it changed or repaired.

Funny enough, I had a flat this morning because of a screw in the tyre. Noticed whilst changing it that both front tyres were practically racing slicks (mostly worn on the insides). Another £150..

Change your wheels diagonally on a regular basis.Every 8000 miles.You will get an extra 25% life.

That's usually a sign that your tracking is out so that needs sorting or you'll just trsh the next set.

I have had two blow outs at 70 mph.

Both were rear wheels, once I was towing a caravan.

The car did not swereve or anything, just became awfully bumpy. I slowly came to a halt quite safely.

In both cases, the tyres were mangled beyond belief, not by the blow out but by running flat when coming to a halt. Those inflate and seal things would be no use at all.

I have had two blow outs at 70 mph.

Both were rear wheels, once I was towing a caravan.

The car did not swereve or anything, just became awfully bumpy. I slowly came to a halt quite safely.

In both cases, the tyres were mangled beyond belief, not by the blow out but by running flat when coming to a halt. Those inflate and seal things would be no use at all.

yep, a blow out on the back is nothing. It gets exciting on the front though when the steering wheel gets ripped out of your hand.