House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pezerinno

Getting A Part Time Job Or Should I Go On Benefits?

I'm looking into getting a part time job which pays £7k after tax which is cutting it fine even if I don't turn the lights on and fast one day a week etc however I have just looked on the benefits website and doing a quick calculation I think I can get £7846.28 possible more I haven't gone through in detail. Assuming this is correct should I go on benefits? Probably won't get the job anyway.

I'm looking into getting a part time job which pays £8k after tax which is cutting it fine even if I don't turn the lights on and fast one day a week etc however I have just looked on the benefits website and doing a quick calculation I think I can get £7846.28 possible more I haven't gone through in detail. Assuming this is correct should I go on benefits? Probably won't get the job anyway.

666 pounds per month is not cutting it fine. Pay rent maybe 300 pounds/ month for a room or if you are in the north maybe even an apartment of your own, then add 100 / month for bills, 100 / month for food, assuming you are eating on a budget.

You will still have 166 pounds/ month left to pay for your petrol money to get to work, if your work is more than 10 miles away I suggest getting a bike for better fuel efficiency as you can't at this point afford 100/ month on petrol. So maybe petrol will only cost 50-70 pounds/ month and you have 100 left to play with after buying essentials.

That's assuming you don't need to pay council tax if you are renting a room, which I always thought was the case. But trying to rent in the UK by yourself on a part-time job is suicide, I would never have considered doing a part-time job unless I was living at home with my parents as that's the only situation that makes sense.

If it's a typical part-time job like at a supermarket then probably 100s of applicants and you won't get it anyway, but by the looks of things not getting this job would be a lucky thing unless you could live with parents rent free.

If it's a typical part-time job like at a supermarket then probably 100s of applicants and you won't get it anyway, but by the looks of things not getting this job would be a lucky thing unless you could live with parents rent free.

But you don't consider that a fair few part-time jobs lead to a full time position.

It's not only the job itself that's important, but the road it can lead to.

666 pounds per month is not cutting it fine. Pay rent maybe 300 pounds/ month for a room or if you are in the north maybe even an apartment of your own, then add 100 / month for bills, 100 / month for food, assuming you are eating on a budget.

You will still have 166 pounds/ month left to pay for your petrol money to get to work, if your work is more than 10 miles away I suggest getting a bike for better fuel efficiency as you can't at this point afford 100/ month on petrol. So maybe petrol will only cost 50-70 pounds/ month and you have 100 left to play with after buying essentials.

That's assuming you don't need to pay council tax if you are renting a room, which I always thought was the case. But trying to rent in the UK by yourself on a part-time job is suicide, I would never have considered doing a part-time job unless I was living at home with my parents as that's the only situation that makes sense.

I live in SE and would spend more than £100/month on food. I'm sure I do have to pay council tax despite only renting a room. I previously assumed you could only live on benefits if you had kids but it doesn't look like that is the case.

But you don't consider that a fair few part-time jobs lead to a full time position.

This would appear to be the reason to go the job route although I'm unlikely to get it of course.

For many part time work or low paid work is a road that leads nowhere but a life on minimum wage. My advise would be to get away from retail/low paid part time nonsense ASAP.

If you are desperate and in London I suggest going to a few shopping centres. Went to a small one last week which had signs up at different shops. 3 manager/team leader positions and 5 shops recruiting general staff. I know one of the manager jobs there has been advertised for nearly 2 months with no a single person applying and they are getting a little desperate (a friend is the regional manager of 10 or so of those stores). Surprising in a recession until I asked him what they paid, about £15k rising to 19k after 3 months. Shit wage but easy easy job.

For many part time work or low paid work is a road that leads nowhere but a life on minimum wage. My advise would be to get away from retail/low paid part time nonsense ASAP.

If you are desperate and in London I suggest going to a few shopping centres. Went to a small one last week which had signs up at different shops. 3 manager/team leader positions and 5 shops recruiting general staff. I know one of the manager jobs there has been advertised for nearly 2 months with no a single person applying and they are getting a little desperate (a friend is the regional manager of 10 or so of those stores). Surprising in a recession until I asked him what they paid, about £15k rising to 19k after 3 months. Shit wage but easy easy job.

I find that surprising they didn't have any applicants. I'm not in London but along the south coast; I'll keep my eyes open.

If your quick, you might be able to get a job over Christmas, and then perhaps you might get your contract extended permanently. Most shops are taking on. That might be worth a punt before you get all the students back from Uni. You normally have to go in and ask for an application form, or you need to apply online..

I'm sure I do have to pay council tax despite only renting a room.

Pay council tax for renting a room? I never knew that, as only time I rented a room was as a student and student's don't need to pay it. If so that is utter BS because the house owner will also be paying council tax and I don't see why it should be paid twice for one house even if you are paying a lower rate for just a room.

I always thought council tax was paid on the house itself and if it's a house share where you rent a room it's split between the occupants?

If you really have to pay something like 50 pounds/ month by yourself on council tax then a part-time job really isn't worth it if you consider all the other costs, and it often costs 80-100/ month to rent a room in the South East.

I agree, once you are out there, one thing will led to another....show them what you are made of, what you can offer, then you may never look back.....choice of employer is more important than starting wage. ;)

Housing benefit and council tax benefit isnt just for the unemployed. So long as you tell them you have under £16k savings i think you can claim. You should also get income support/ working tax credits of £65 a week (equal to jobseekers)

Housing benefit and council tax benefit isnt just for the unemployed. So long as you tell them you have under £16k savings i think you can claim. You should also get income support/ working tax credits of £65 a week (equal to jobseekers)

Even if you only work part time?

That's assuming you don't need to pay council tax if you are renting a room, which I always thought was the case.

You most certainly do pay council tax if you are renting a room. You didn't think they'd let landless peasants escape the poll council tax that easily, did you?

I know plenty of young people who share with people who don't pay council tax (e.g. students) and just put their name and parental address on forms. Good trick that one.

Pay council tax for renting a room? I never knew that, as only time I rented a room was as a student and student's don't need to pay it. If so that is utter BS because the house owner will also be paying council tax and I don't see why it should be paid twice for one house even if you are paying a lower rate for just a room.

I always thought council tax was paid on the house itself and if it's a house share where you rent a room it's split between the occupants?

If you really have to pay something like 50 pounds/ month by yourself on council tax then a part-time job really isn't worth it if you consider all the other costs, and it often costs 80-100/ month to rent a room in the South East.

A room in London/SE will set you back £80-100pw minimum. Usually landlords don't pay council tax, tenants do. It's up to the tenants how they divide it between them. It usually comes to about £30-40pm per person

You should go on benefits and then use the spare time to learn a new skill. I can't see that a £7K per year job is ever going to get you anywhere other than skint with debts.

Buckers

Ditto.

You should go on benefits and then use the spare time to learn a new skill. I can't see that a £7K per year job is ever going to get you anywhere other than skint with debts.

Buckers

No. He should take the part time job and use his free time to learn a new skill.

That way he has a full CV *and* a new skill ;)

Don't even consider that job on slave wages.

Enjoy the opportunity of doing what you really want. These opportunities won't be around for ever.

Go for self-actualisation.