House Price Crash Forum
southmartin

Can I Open A Swiss Bank Account?

I think i've probably explained this question in the thread titles, am looking to get some of my funds out of the UK system, and wondered what the banking options were.

Any advice from the money sages is greatly appreciated

cheers

I think i've probably explained this question in the thread titles, am looking to get some of my funds out of the UK system, and wondered what the banking options were.

Any advice from the money sages is greatly appreciated

cheers

Your best choice is to go to Zurich in person, a flight doesn't cost much and you can do it in day.

I'd suggest the ZKB (the kantonal bank of Zurich), forget about UBS and CS, they don't care about foreigners unless you have 7 figure sums to transfer.

Edited by wise_eagle

It will not be easy unless you have a lot of money to invest. You won't get much interest. I have Sterling, Euro and CHF accounts and none gets over 1%,

Have you tried HSBC

I have GBP/EUR/USD accounts and i'm sure they have others plus they are so easy to set-up. The fx rates they offer always reflect the daily market rate on transfers above £15k and below that it's only like 0.5% or something

UK gov are actively pursuing disclosure with Switzerland and other havens. You won't be safe there.

Some very rich people use Notaries in Switzerland to open accounts - they are the 'beards' - allowing anonymity, but would you trust them?

The authorities will surely cotton on to this eventally too.

From JSMineset:

The greatest risk to Swiss banking privacy has always been the low paid back office clerk that would be tempted to sell a bank's internal computer records for cash.

Swiss Notaries, which are attorneys, not candy store owners have always stood for non-Swiss account holders at Swiss Banks. A Swiss Notary is a beard for hire.

Advice: there is only one way to truly get out of the system. It is not cash in any bank anywhere.

I do not think the OP was looking to hide money. Tax avoidance is not the only reason to open a Swiss account.

I do not think the OP was looking to hide money. Tax avoidance is not the only reason to open a Swiss account.

Correct thanks, - just wanting to safeguard it out of the UK system!

Many thanks for your advice everyone!