House Price Crash Forum

Winter Footwear

Dorkins

HOLA441

The last two or three winters my footwear has totally failed to keep the weather out and I have ended up with cold, wet feet. The quality of shoes on the high street seems to plumb new depths every year with flimsy soles, poor stitching, and materials which absorb water like a sponge. They might look good but they have zero functionality and don't last.

I'm looking to get a decent pair of shoes to keep the weather out, does anybody have any tips or recommendations for what to look for and where to go?

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

Nothing works short of wellies for me.

Ive tried all sorts of walking shoes, expensive karrimor weatherproof boots, and they all leak and all end up falling apart after a couple of months.

Now i just go to shoezone and buy a £10 pair evevy few months instead.

Id agree that quality just isnt what it used to be. My old man still has some 1970s steel capped boots lying around somewhere. Still got their shape, still look good.

HOLA445
HOLA446

I can wear something more casual as I don't wear a suit for work. Is Blacks good for quality?

It's neither here nor there, it depends on the make of the shoes more.

Brasher make good shoes and boots using more traditional leather designs.

Merrell make more trainer-y shoes but are good if you like the styles.

Salomon, Berghaus are good but sometimes look a bit too 'outdoors-y'.

Karrmior are ok, but I don't really like the styles as much.

For really waterproof shoes, look for any of the above with gore-tex built in. Your feet won't get wet even, except if you step in a deep puddle.

Well-made leather shoes are fine as long as you keep them polished and/or coated in dubbin or whatever new waterproofing concoction is around.

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410

Nothing works short of wellies for me.

Ive tried all sorts of walking shoes, expensive karrimor weatherproof boots, and they all leak and all end up falling apart after a couple of months.

Yup. Wellies do the job for me. I just put them on to trudge through snow or heavy rain and change to normal shoes after.

A good pair of jackboots might also do he trick although i have never tried them :P

IlsaSheWolf.jpg

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

I've got some waterproof socks for cycling, they are called Sealskinz and are very good - they keep the water out completely and are as breathable as normal woolen socks, it means I don't have to worry too much about my shoes letting in a bit of water (as even the best ones do eventually in a heavy downpour.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414

How about some DMs some are fully waterproof. ;)

Seconded!

When I can I wear these >>>

Chelsea Boots (dealer boots 2976 or 8250) doc martens - just got a new pair off fleabay for just over £50.00inc post!

Really comfortable to walk miles/all day on + warm + keeps wet/snow out(keeps grip on ice) + can be re-soled easily with DM original soles.

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/i.html?_nkw=chelsea+boot+doc+martens&_sacat=0&_dmpt=UK_Clothing_Menswear_MensShoes_GL&_odkw=chelsea+boot+doc+martins&_osacat=0&_trksid=p3286.c0.m270.l1313

HOLA4415

Seconded!

When I can I wear these >>>

Chelsea Boots (dealer boots 2976 or 8250) doc martens - just got a new pair off fleabay for just over £50.00inc post!

Really comfortable to walk miles/all day on + warm + keeps wet/snow out(keeps grip on ice) + can be re-soled easily with DM original soles.

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/i.html?_nkw=chelsea+boot+doc+martens&_sacat=0&_dmpt=UK_Clothing_Menswear_MensShoes_GL&_odkw=chelsea+boot+doc+martins&_osacat=0&_trksid=p3286.c0.m270.l1313

Can't browse ebay at work but let me guess, they're the limited edition TinFoil versions?

HOLA4416

Can't browse ebay at work but let me guess, they're the limited edition TinFoil™ versions?

Crawl back under your favorite elephant dung pile!

HOLA4417

The last two or three winters my footwear has totally failed to keep the weather out and I have ended up with cold, wet feet. The quality of shoes on the high street seems to plumb new depths every year with flimsy soles, poor stitching, and materials which absorb water like a sponge. They might look good but they have zero functionality and don't last.

I'm looking to get a decent pair of shoes to keep the weather out, does anybody have any tips or recommendations for what to look for and where to go?

Get top-quality hiking boots. I prefer the lighter synthetics with a goretex liner to leather, but don't be fooled, you still need to help it out a bit by cleaning/spraying the exterior now and again - what happens in time is that dirt and stuff that gets into the boot punctures the goretex membrane so it gets less good. I've had my boots 4 years, they've never leaked, but they were expensive, bought on the advice of some members of the Alpine club.

Your alternative is goretex waterproof socks inside cheaper synthetic hiking boots, having sprayed the cheap boots thoroughly.

HOLA4418

Get top-quality hiking boots. I prefer the lighter synthetics with a goretex liner to leather, but don't be fooled, you still need to help it out a bit by cleaning/spraying the exterior now and again - what happens in time is that dirt and stuff that gets into the boot punctures the goretex membrane so it gets less good. I've had my boots 4 years, they've never leaked, but they were expensive, bought on the advice of some members of the Alpine club.

Your alternative is goretex waterproof socks inside cheaper synthetic hiking boots, having sprayed the cheap boots thoroughly.

Thanks, what do you spray them with?

HOLA4419

Thanks, what do you spray them with?

Good question, I'd have to dig out the bottle to give you the exact name. There are plenty about now though, waterproofing sprays for shoes are pretty good these days. Try your local quality outdoors shop, if it's more than 6 quid a bottle get it on the net.

Archived