House Price Crash Forum
The Masked Tulip

Welsh Spending Review Thread

I would like to start a thread on the Welsh Spending Review - which is on Wednesday 17th November.

Info coming out tonight that, unlike England and Scotland, the Welsh NHS will not be ring-fenced. To protect the NHS they have to cut housing benefit enormously but they can't do that as so many are dependent upon housing benefit.

Seems that capital projects - building of new hospitals, schools, roads, etc - is going to be cut back dramatically but the building of such capital projects actually involved lots of private sector work so perhaps we will see the public sector 'protected' and what little private sector there is in Wales suffering.

The story about Swansea Council wanting to outsource adult social services is causing a stink. There has been a call for radical measures in Wales but when something radical is raised there are cries of this can't be done - apparently the Libs/Tories are in favour of this outsourcing and Labour/Plaid up in arms.

I am just wondering whether Swansea's social services outsourcing might be a political move to raise the possibility not just in Wales but across the UK?

Anyhow, Wednesday is a huge day for Wales with the cuts announced no doubt having a knock-on affect on jobs and on housing across the country. I doubt we will hear of job losses but it will let us know where those job cuts will be coming in the coming weeks and months.

I have a nasty feeling that we will see services cut and few jobs going.

I think your desire for more jobs going is misplaced.

If more jobs went who do you think they would be?

I think they would be those at the bottom of the salary scale not those at the top. You don't strike me as someone wanting a 2 bed terrace which would see prices fall if there were more job cuts. Don't tell me that would collapse the market from the bottom because I don't believe it.

The sort of house you want is seeing it's price kept high because there are lots of people in the public sector on very good money. I think the CSR has allayed all their fears because unlike in such as Ireland there were no pay cuts and there won't be any in Wales. Some may be given early retirement but from what I've heard that is on "enhanced" pensions, so their house position won't change. The looters are keeping their bags of swag and we are all going to pay for it via inflation.

I think your desire for more jobs going is misplaced.

If more jobs went who do you think they would be?

I think they would be those at the bottom of the salary scale not those at the top. You don't strike me as someone wanting a 2 bed terrace which would see prices fall if there were more job cuts. Don't tell me that would collapse the market from the bottom because I don't believe it.

The sort of house you want is seeing it's price kept high because there are lots of people in the public sector on very good money. I think the CSR has allayed all their fears because unlike in such as Ireland there were no pay cuts and there won't be any in Wales. Some may be given early retirement but from what I've heard that is on "enhanced" pensions, so their house position won't change. The looters are keeping their bags of swag and we are all going to pay for it via inflation.

Can't disagree with any of that reasoning.

I have watched houses in my chosen area come on the market in the past 2 - 4 weeks at higher asking prices than houses on the market for 8 to 36 months. Few are budging on asking price in the middle to top sector.

I spoke with one EA today who told me that he felt some of his competitors are had gone made and that many sellers were now in denial. He said that people are not going to buy houses when they are afraid for their jobs.

There is a simple solution to the Welsh Public sector Overspend which is to discontinue National Public Sector pay bargaining. I work in the public sector in the south East of England, if public sector pay was adjusted downwards in Wales to take account of lower prices including rents, as well as generally lower wages in the private sector, problem solved in a stroke!

There is a simple solution to the Welsh Public sector Overspend which is to discontinue National Public Sector pay bargaining. I work in the public sector in the south East of England, if public sector pay was adjusted downwards in Wales to take account of lower prices including rents, as well as generally lower wages in the private sector, problem solved in a stroke!

You have forgotten that if that happened some them might leave. Like FTSE bosses, bankers, etc aren't they are all irreplaceable?

I would like to start a thread on the Welsh Spending Review - which is on Wednesday 17th November.

Info coming out tonight that, unlike England and Scotland, the Welsh NHS will not be ring-fenced. To protect the NHS they have to cut housing benefit enormously but they can't do that as so many are dependent upon housing benefit.

Seems that capital projects - building of new hospitals, schools, roads, etc - is going to be cut back dramatically but the building of such capital projects actually involved lots of private sector work so perhaps we will see the public sector 'protected' and what little private sector there is in Wales suffering.

The story about Swansea Council wanting to outsource adult social services is causing a stink. There has been a call for radical measures in Wales but when something radical is raised there are cries of this can't be done - apparently the Libs/Tories are in favour of this outsourcing and Labour/Plaid up in arms.

I am just wondering whether Swansea's social services outsourcing might be a political move to raise the possibility not just in Wales but across the UK?

Anyhow, Wednesday is a huge day for Wales with the cuts announced no doubt having a knock-on affect on jobs and on housing across the country. I doubt we will hear of job losses but it will let us know where those job cuts will be coming in the coming weeks and months.

MT Swansea may be different, but there are not the fat cat public sector types where I am propping up overpriced fur coat and no knickers properties. I suspect it's not all public sector money that's propping up Swansea prices.

Politics aside most public sector workers are on modest to low incomes and have almost been forced into their roles within the public sector. After all there is no/was no private sector alternative.

Budget cuts will ultimately mean job cuts for mostly ordinary working people. The obvious concern is that the private sector will not/can not absorb the unemployed. Wales could be in for a rough ride.

MT Swansea may be different, but there are not the fat cat public sector types where I am propping up overpriced fur coat and no knickers properties. I suspect it's not all public sector money that's propping up Swansea prices.

Politics aside most public sector workers are on modest to low incomes and have almost been forced into their roles within the public sector. After all there is no/was no private sector alternative.

Budget cuts will ultimately mean job cuts for mostly ordinary working people. The obvious concern is that the private sector will not/can not absorb the unemployed. Wales could be in for a rough ride.

Again, I can't disagree with any of what you write. The next 12 months will be interesting. We will a glimpse tomorrow.

Again, I can't disagree with any of what you write. The next 12 months will be interesting. We will a glimpse tomorrow.

I'm sure I'll have news in due course.

Could I suggest a 50% cut in salary over 25K for the Welsh Public Sector?

unhappy managers, could flock to similar paying private sector work.

Best thing we could do in wales..... is cut welsh language spend.

Almost a total waste of money.

And refuse to fund the royal family from any welsh taxes.

Too late for that. William and Kate are to live in North Wales and bound to cost a mint with helicopters in and out every few minutes for shopping trips .. err engagements. Well they say that, but I suspect a palace or two will be available for them in London too.

Best thing we could do in wales..... is cut welsh language spend.

Almost a total waste of money.

And refuse to fund the royal family from any welsh taxes.

Is wales, as a principality, a net tax contributor to the UK?

I don't think any region is to be honest.

(for Londoners - certainly once you take all costs into account).

someone must be paying the interest on the deficits

cant find any figures for welsh language spend, anyone help me?

Or is it a secret?

I want to know how much it costs to have train schedule announcements read out in welsh first, while i'm rushing to find the right platform on the train station....

Just read there are welsh embassies abroad!!!!

Or is it a secret?

I want to know how much it costs to have train schedule announcements read out in welsh first, while i'm rushing to find the right platform on the train station....

you wouldnt understand it anyway.

Or is it a secret?

Secret.

If they were all asked if they'd take a pay cut to bring them down to 25k for 90% of jobs, and the very highest paid jobs down to 35k ... and everyone could keep their jobs how many would say yes?

Its a secret that no one in Wales actually speaks Welsh?

More or less.

The blunt reality is that about 80% of Welsh people do not speak Welsh. Have no interest in speaking Welsh.

However, if a person walks up to the average person in Wales and asks "Do you speak Welsh?" the vast majority will say yes based on the fact that they know no more than 10 years - probably less.

However, the Welsh language movement basically took over Wales in the early 1980s - Thatcher basically gave into them.

So now all the Media in Wales is controlled by Welsh speakers with a Welsh speaking agenda. It is absolute madness and IMPO it has wrecked the country.

Wales spends hundreds of millions on force-feeding the Welsh language to a population who by and large do not want it, do not care and who are now vocally stating that it is a waste of money.

In the times of boom it could be excused but now when schools and hospitals are closing it is becoming a hot issue.

More or less.

The blunt reality is that about 80% of Welsh people do not speak Welsh. Have no interest in speaking Welsh.

However, if a person walks up to the average person in Wales and asks "Do you speak Welsh?" the vast majority will say yes based on the fact that they know no more than 10 years - probably less.

However, the Welsh language movement basically took over Wales in the early 1980s - Thatcher basically gave into them.

So now all the Media in Wales is controlled by Welsh speakers with a Welsh speaking agenda. It is absolute madness and IMPO it has wrecked the country.

Wales spends hundreds of millions on force-feeding the Welsh language to a population who by and large do not want it, do not care and who are now vocally stating that it is a waste of money.

In the times of boom it could be excused but now when schools and hospitals are closing it is becoming a hot issue.

Personally I think there is a lot to be said for it. Welsh language speakers should take over the UK. Are not the Welsh not the original English before the Anglo Saxon's came? (History is not my strong point).

Learn and insist on Welsh just for bloody awkarkdness sake. Any buggar can learn English and thats our downfall! After all Dave (Tata Motors) Cameron will only outsource our jobs, we can insist jobs only going to welsh speakers. The bloody Chinese want to learn how to build Jaguars? they can bloody well learn Welsh!!

Personally I think there is a lot to be said for it. Welsh language speakers should take over the UK. Are not the Welsh not the original English before the Anglo Saxon's came? (History is not my strong point).

Learn and insist on Welsh just for bloody awkarkdness sake. Any buggar can learn English and thats our downfall! After all Dave (Tata Motors) Cameron will only outsource our jobs, we can insist jobs only going to welsh speakers. The bloody Chinese want to learn how to build Jaguars? they can bloody well learn Welsh!!

no.

and no that would be stupid.