House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
cashinmattress

Britain Long-Term Jobless Numbers Double

Link

A quarter of a million people have been claiming jobseeker's allowance for more than one year, official figures showed today.

There are currently 245,370 adults in England, Scotland and Wales who have been unemployed and claiming JSA for 12 months or more - over double the number that were in this position at the start of the recession in January 2008.

The fresh figures paint a grim picture of the coalition government's much-vaunted economic recovery plan, which is based on the view that cutting public-sector budgets will pave the way for new private-sector job creation.

However the situation looks worse by the wider ILO measure of unemployment, which shows that 811,000 people in Britain are facing long-term unemployment, an increase of 110 per cent since the start of the recession.

A TUC analysis of official statistics shows that this rise is a result of hundreds of thousands of jobs being lost during the recession and insufficient new ones being created.

Warning that the situation is likely to get worse as the government's spending cuts put at least an extra million people on the dole, TUC general secretary Brendan Barber said: "The UK has 2.5 million people out of work not because we're a nation of work-shy scroungers without a work ethic, but because with an average five unemployed people chasing every vacancy, there is a distinct lack of jobs.

"The number of people who have been out of work for a year or longer has more than doubled since January 2008. Unemployed people are the victims here, not the villains.

"The government should stop blaming unemployed people for their predicament and start creating rather than cutting jobs."

Communist Party of Britain general secretary Rob Griffiths said the figures underlined the government's failure to create a lasting economic and environmental infrastructure which could have created millions of new jobs.

"Most of those plans have been mothballed or cancelled," he said.

"The government is just crossing its fingers that something will turn up, that the private sector will survive and conjure 3 million new jobs."

Inflation running amok, jobs are being lost, and no replacement work state is on the horizon.

We are net importers of energy, and we are taxing ourselves silly to keep property from collapsing like a house of cards.

How long can this pseudo-reality we've made for ourselves go on for?

Is there any source for these numbers, looks made up to me as the statistics are usually only up to July/August.

UNEMPLOYMENT October 2010

9(1) Unemployment by age and duration

All aged 16 & over , 12 months Unemployed

People YBWH

Jun-Aug 2008 439,000

Jun-Aug 2009 612,000

Sep-Nov 2009 636,000

Dec-Feb 2010 728,000

Mar-May 2010 794,000

Jun-Aug 2010 821,000 (Condem coalition)

unemployed.gif

Edited by northwestsmith2

Oh you will, you just won't get paid for it.

Well I'm lucky enough to have savings so you won't be seeing me dressed in an orange jumpsuit picking up litter but I do take your point.

..................... so you won't be seeing me dressed in an orange jumpsuit ......................

Jesus, the prejudice on here sometimes <_<

There is nothing wrong with orange jump suits; Sir Stelios wears one B)

Link

Inflation running amok, jobs are being lost, and no replacement work state is on the horizon.

We are net importers of energy, and we are taxing ourselves silly to keep property from collapsing like a house of cards.

All of these things can currently be taken to be tips of a fairly large number of icebergs.

And there's no economic global warming coming to melt them either.

More like another Ice Age.

Harsh, but................................

I don't claim to have a lovely personality and as for my posts, you can take them as you find them. There used to be an industry here and now there isn't.

Simple fact is that a Bulgarian or Lithuanian is doing my job nowadays but to anybody considering themselves to be too important to be automated, outsourced or replaced then my advice is "Good luck, and may the Lord's blessing go with you. See you down the Dole Office".

This is my third recession. I learnt a lot from the other two.

Is there any source for these numbers, looks made up to me as the statistics are usually only up to July/August.

UNEMPLOYMENT October 2010

9(1) Unemployment by age and duration

All aged 16 & over , 12 months Unemployed

People YBWH

Jun-Aug 2008 439,000

Jun-Aug 2009 612,000

Sep-Nov 2009 636,000

Dec-Feb 2010 728,000

Mar-May 2010 794,000

Jun-Aug 2010 821,000 (Condem coalition)

....it is the Morning Star .... :rolleyes:

Jesus, the prejudice on here sometimes <_<

There is nothing wrong with orange jump suits; Sir Stelios wears one B)

Very true, but you wouldn't want to be wearing one while picking up litter.

Very true, but you wouldn't want to be wearing one while picking up litter.

Yep, I won't have to do it but somehow picking up litter while wearing an orange jumpsuit will be an even bigger degradation to somebody who spent the last 20 years going to work in a more formal suit.

Link

Streets will be spotless though, we'll put Switzerland to shame :blink:

Invest in companies making Orange jump suits now, demand set to soar!

Edited by madpenguin

Link

I do not see too many options left and it will be painful:

- decrease taxes especially on something, what can create jobs and growth (perhaps automated manufacturing ??? )

- cut government spending

- cut public sector

- decrease value of the £

- decrease asset prices

- do not let the inflation turn to the hyper inflation

I don't claim to have a lovely personality and as for my posts, you can take them as you find them. There used to be an industry here and now there isn't.

Simple fact is that a Bulgarian or Lithuanian is doing my job nowadays but to anybody considering themselves to be too important to be automated, outsourced or replaced then my advice is "Good luck, and may the Lord's blessing go with you. See you down the Dole Office".

Same here. I learnt a lot too. The established order requires these 'downturns' as an excuse to do some culling. The bigger the crash, the bigger the excuse and I chose the word 'excuse' rather than 'reason' on purpose.

:lol:

forget about low qualification manual jobs done today in India and China ..... they can be replaced only by robots in UK .... but there can be still some jobs around the robots ... maintenance, security, logistics, etc ...

Judging by your posts you have a great personality , I enjoy reading them , as for Jonny Storm I thought he threw a paddy the other week and was not coming back , pity that he has.

I do not see too many options left and it will be painful:

- decrease taxes especially on something, what can create jobs and growth (perhaps automated manufacturing ??? )

- cut government spending

- cut public sector

- decrease value of the £

- decrease asset prices

- do not let the inflation turn to the hyper inflation

-bring in some property businessmen, not looters, that know wtf to do and won't stash loot away in offshore havens or require a huge subsidy to run their business.

No idea but I'm 51 and I doubt I'll ever work again.

Have you not tried retraining yourself? I was unemployed in the 90's (in between contracts) learned all about Linux and somehow ended up CTO of an internet company. F*ck knows how that happened.

Anyway, working on something else now, involved with search engines and all kinds of boffin stuff.

Edited by Sir John Steed

Yep, I won't have to do it but somehow picking up litter while wearing an orange jumpsuit will be an even bigger degradation to somebody who spent the last 20 years going to work in a more formal suit.

Estate Agents : )

Have you not tried retraining yourself? I was unemployed in the 90's (in between contracts) learned all about Linux and somehow ended up CTO of an internet company. F*ck knows how that happened.

Anyway, working on something else now, involved with search engines and all kinds of boffin stuff.

I think it is much much worse this time around , I was unemployed at the start of the 90's no problem getting a job , there were plenty about low paid but they were there , this time it was much much harder , working now but know a few middle aged who have not worked for years. Once past 45 they look at you like you have two heads.