House Price Crash Forum
paulicon

Index Tracker

Hi looking for some advice. I am new to this game, well when I say new I have been a keen onlooker for a time now and I have decided to get involved.

Firstly I am going to take out a cash ISA which I think is a pretty sensible option.

The next part I was thinking about and the one I am most unsure about is a stocks and shares ISA. Currently I was thinking the best option was to take out an Indextracker but as i have been doing my research I have come across some very conflicting arguments. Some prople think that the FTSE 100 has peeked and is going to go into decline from here on. Otheres think that it has still far to go?? I have also been told that it might be a good idea to place my bets on the Japanese stock market?? Or would I be better to scrap this idea and look at something else??

As you can see I am a bit confussed, any help will be greatly appreciated!!

P.S And dont hold back...

Hi looking for some advice.  I am new to this game, well when I say new I have been a keen onlooker for a time now and I have decided to get involved.

Firstly I am going to take out a cash ISA which I think is a pretty sensible option.

The next part I was thinking about and the one I am most unsure about is a stocks and shares ISA.  Currently I was thinking the best option was to take out an Indextracker but as i have been doing my research I have come across some very conflicting arguments.  Some prople think that the FTSE 100 has peeked and is going to go into decline from here on.  Otheres think that it has still far to go??  I have also been told that it might be a good idea to place my bets on the Japanese stock market?? Or would I be better to scrap this idea and look at something else??

As you can see I am a bit confussed, any help will be greatly appreciated!!

P.S And dont hold back...

The Japanese market could be a good way to make money - i dont know - but is also likely to be volatile as well - a rollercoaster which may not do your nerves or finances any good.

You have to be something of an expert to make short term gain out of the market and all too often you may be just piling into a bubble.

I would invest in an index tracker for the long term (more than 10 years) and leave it alone.

The FTSE All Share is a slightly better idea than the FTSE100 as it is a bit more diverse but only slightly so. I would seriously tempted to put all or maybe 50% in a FTSE250 index tracker which would cover a much more diverse range of the market. Incidentally the FTSE250 has been way overperforming the FTSE100 by a wide margin for the last twp years and is well into record high territory.

I think i would put half in a FTSEAllShare tracker and half in FTSE250 tracker and leave well alone for 10 years plus.