House Price Crash Forum

Jaguar Tells Managers Relocate To China Or Risk Promotion

HOLA441

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/jobs/8134971/Jaguar-tells-managers-relocate-to-China-or-risk-promotion.html

Des Thurlby, human resources (HR) director at the international car maker, said he had held "pointed" discussions with up to five of the company's best employees urging them to consider moving "out of leafy Warwickshire" to China to help the company capitalise on emerging markets. Those who refused had less chance of being shortlisted for a future top job at the company, Mr Thurlby said.

The HR director is adopting the controversial stance because the luxury car manufacturer is struggling to convince its best workers to relocate on typically three-year assignments. Those with partners, or children in schools, were often put off the upheaval of moving abroad, he said.

China is now Jaguar Land Rover's third biggest market after the UK and USA. The company, owned by India's Tata Motors, is looking to set up a joint venture deal with a Chinese industrial plant to manufacture tens of thousands of cars a year. However, the plans could be dealt a blow if too few UK executives committed to running the overseas operations.

Mr Thurlby said: "We're getting to the point where we're having some quite pointed conversations with people, where we're saying, 'listen matey, if you want to go to the top you're going to have to go to China, Russia or the US. We're an international business, we're 70pc overseas. It's critical you move out of leafy Warwickshire.'"

When asked whether it was unfair to expect workers to up sticks for career progression, he said: "We're not saying you absolutely will not get to the board, but what we are saying is, this will make you a much stronger candidate and it will make the business better and we'll do everything we can to help you."

A sign of things to come? Certainly the proles won't be offered such a choice, the job will simply move and given to the Chinese or Russian or US employee.

Although I can understand the reluctance to move to China if you have family, moving to the States would be less of a problem as they speak English.

HOLA442

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/jobs/8134971/Jaguar-tells-managers-relocate-to-China-or-risk-promotion.html

A sign of things to come? Certainly the proles won't be offered such a choice, the job will simply move and given to the Chinese or Russian or US employee.

Although I can understand the reluctance to move to China if you have family, moving to the States would be less of a problem as they speak English.

Depends on the conditions, if it meant keeping current full UK salary and a good benefits package I'd take it, most countries have international schools of some kind or other, and I suspect fees wouldn't be a problem

Edited by madpenguin

HOLA443

Having lived here for 14 years I can assure you they don't.

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

This has been the case in many international companies for years; most of the oil and oil field services sector for instance.

This is simply an extremely clumsy and needlessly confrontational expression of the obvious.

HOLA447
HOLA448

This has been the case in many international companies for years; most of the oil and oil field services sector for instance.

This is simply an extremely clumsy and needlessly confrontational expression of the obvious.

at least he's being honest. Loads of companies would leave it to natural selection (i.e. the best candidates for promotion would naturally figure out where the company is headed and manoeuvre themselves into contention).

HOLA449

at least he's being honest. Loads of companies would leave it to natural selection (i.e. the best candidates for promotion would naturally figure out where the company is headed and manoeuvre themselves into contention).

I think it has been the case for many years with most international companies that if you want a top job with a necessarily global remit you have to understand more than one part of it by experiencing it.

Personally I don't think someone using a phrase like 'listen matey' rather than just making the point if necessary is very helpful

HOLA4410

Hmm, if they really are the 'best' and are ambitious enough to be aiming for a board job then it'd be pretty obvious to them that if there were any problems getting those new manufacturing plants up and running (and there will be....) then it'd do more harm than good to their chances of promotion to have a 'bad' project next to their name.

So they're just covering their arses like senior management always do. Can't really say I'd do anything different myself tbh.

You'd also be going from 'Mr. Senior Jaguar Person' in the local golf club to 'Mr. Yet Another Westerner' in expat-ville. I think that would be the hardest leap for them and their families to make.

But hey-ho. Everyone below them has been putting up with this for the last 10 years or so; it's about time they had to face the same choices.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

Ah, I read the thread title as 'Go to China or we'll promote you.'

Was wondering if it was a Mash headline. What is so wrong with Jaguar that everyone is trying to avoid being promoted...

Exactly-the headline means exactly the opposite to what it is intended to mean.

To use an example, you'd say "stop spending or risk bankruptcy". You would not say "stop spending or risk solvency"

HOLA4413

What's more usual is that you relocate for 2-3 years whilst they set up operations/transition then you're made redundant.

It used to be somewhere in Europe, then Eastern Europe, now China and then it'll be India, then Africa and so on.

Let's face it this has been going on for decades in all multinationals.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416

Silly, nonsense article.

How many managers in the UK can speak any of the mainstream Chinese languages?

Who cares about the UK when the market for ex-UK owned Jag is going to flatline at or near zero anyway?

They haven't been good at making cars for decades.

China vehicle sales overtook the US last year.

Current forecast is for the Chinese Automotive market to be larger than the US and European combined in under 10 years.

You can work the rest out for yourself.

HOLA4417
HOLA4418

Now Ratty Tata is one of Cameron's "advisors" surely he could just suggest a new law to force workers to move where their employers want them?

After all since Ratty Tata joined the group the immigration cap has been watered down not to include business transfers.

David Cameron has unveiled his panel of leading industry bosses who he says will help to shape the Government's economic policy

On Thursday he reported Indian businessman Ratan Tata and the boss of Sony, Sir Howard Stringer, were the latest names to join the group.

Mr Tata is the head of Tata Group, India's largest conglomerate which owns Jaguar, Land Rover and Tetley Tea.

Sir Howard is the chairman and CEO of Sony, overseeing the entire businesses of Sony, including its media and electronics subsidiaries. Mr Cameron told a meeting of business leaders at Downing Street: "I want to be absolutely clear - this is very much a pro-business, pro-enterprise, pro-competition Government.

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/Business/David-Cameron-Unveils-Business-Advisory-Group-With-Ratan-Tata-Sir-Howard-Stringer-Justin-King/Article/201010115749514?lpos=Business_First_Poilitics_Article_Teaser_Regi_0&lid=ARTICLE_15749514_David_Cameron_Unveils_Business_Advisory_Group_With_Ratan_Tata%2C_Sir_Howard_Stringer%2C_Justin_King

HOLA4419

Now Ratty Tata is one of Cameron's "advisors" surely he could just suggest a new law to force workers to move where their employers want them?

After all since Ratty Tata joined the group the immigration cap has been watered down not to include business transfers.

Gosh! That'll prove jolly handy for this.

Nest signs £600 million Tata IT contract

http://www.citywire.co.uk/new-model-adviser/nest-signs-600-million-tata-it-contract/a448964?ref=new-model-adviser-shooting-gallery-list

HOLA4420

You'd also be going from 'Mr. Senior Jaguar Person' in the local golf club to 'Mr. Yet Another Westerner' in expat-ville. I think that would be the hardest leap for them and their families to make.

I'm pretty sure I would lead a nicer life and be treated better in the latter position.

Do these idiots not realise what a gravy train they are turning down??!?!

HOLA4421

Oh F*ck, Tetley Tea. Something else I'll have to boycott along with Twinings! tongue.gif

HOLA4422

I'm pretty sure I would lead a nicer life and be treated better in the latter position.

I suspect these managers know the "real reality." Training up asian replacements in far off plants somewhere. Better, batten down the hatches and stay in nice Warwickshire, thank you very much!

Edited by Sir John Steed

HOLA4423

Depends on what level you are at though - you might, but a senior exec wouldn't. They are already well-set, probably with their kids in private school, nice cars (generous company car allowance & no doubt employee reductions on Jaaaaags), nice holidays - possibly a holiday home in the UK or France/Italy/Spain, membership of a prestigious local golf club where they meet with other execs, their wives will be settled in locally etc.

Swap all that for having to deal with a big cultural change at work and home, not being the top dog locally anymore, wife resenting having to move away from all her friends, second house an international flight away rather than a short Ryanair hop and also being out of the loop of all the internal politics at HQ in the UK.

If you're lower down it's a great way to live in a paid-for company house, maybe get some tax breaks for working overseas, and get to travel around Asia in your time off but you likely have less to give up in the first place.

HOLA4424

Oil?

This is about knowledge transfer from skilled and experienced UK employees to the local party representatives, businessmen, or whoever the hell is in favour in that particular province.

In 5 years or so these guys will be gone, and they'll be using local management, local processes, low paid non union local labour and Tata steel to manufacture vehicles into a massive and growing market.

This isn't about building vehicles to sell to the Europeans or even the Americans. US and EU markets are saturated, the volume game here is over, and as soon as the production volumes get back in line with the market and the French stop with the insane variable marketing programs, vehicles prices here will go to the moon, or something. And it'll be, if you can't afford, you don't get. Deal with it.

Everyone is pursuing the growth in China, at whatever cost. Whilst cutting EU and US past the bone.

Oh and to the cry of the western middle class, but, but who will buy your products if we are broke and destitute?

The Chinese middle class, all the best, and by the way the rent is due on the real estate bought in Europe as part of the buying out the company.

The handful of guys that do get this will probably be okay. If they're sane they'll turn enough of a profit to retire or go consultant for all of the other manufacturers doing this.

And as for protectionism, this would just lead to massive automation for production into stagnant local market.

HOLA4425

If an HR manager said to me we want you to go to Hong Kong in an all expenses paid luxury apartment I'd be saying GREAT when do I get to go!!! If on the other hand they wanted me to go to some crazy smog filled knowheresville in the middle of China I'd bee hanging onto those leafy trees in Warwickshire for dear life.