BearLite

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

The police cracked down hard on people doing this recently in S Wales - stood by the side of the road and waited for the smell and then stopped the offending vehicles. If you use veg oil without paying tax, watch out for the police.

On the emissions side of things, there might well be problems - less carbon dioxide perhaps, but don't forget all the other pollutants.

HOLA448

Obviously if you put untreated waste vegetable oil (WVO) straight into your tank the engine will seize up pretty quickly; far too many impurities. I think you would get better quality fuel by using fresh vegetable (rapeseed) oil (SVO), and then turning it into biodiesel:

http://www.schnews.org.uk/diyguide/howtomakebiodiesel.htm

http://www.veggiepower.org.uk/altindex.htm

http://www.veggiepower.org.uk/page208a.htm

If you have a relatively modern diesel-engined car (post-1995), you should be able to use biodiesel without too many problems (the main ones being that your fuel filters will clog up a lot early on, since biodiesel is a solvent it frees up a lot of the deposits in the engine).

Some of the downsides of biodiesel are that it is taxed almost as heavily as conventional fuel, and is laborious and time-consuming to make.

Has anyone yet started marketing commercial biodesiel?

http://www.biodieselfillingstations.co.uk/alloutlets.htm

Edited by zzg113

HOLA449
HOLA4410
The police cracked down hard on people doing this recently in S Wales - stood by the side of the road and waited for the smell and then stopped the offending vehicles. If you use veg oil without paying tax, watch out for the police.

On the emissions side of things, there might well be problems - less carbon dioxide perhaps, but don't forget all the other pollutants.

What are the other pollutants?

HOLA4411
Has anyone yet started marketing commercial biodesiel?

Yes, me.

Yes you can put new veg oil in your tank, you will however have problems, I won't go into it, ask if you want to know.

As for asking your local chippy for waste oil good luck. The oil suppliers take back the old oil and sell it to biodiesel makers or use it to run their own fleets.

They may offer you some stuff the suppliers don't want , it will be solid at room temp. This can be converted to good biodiesel but it will start to go solid on a cool day so no good in the winter.

zzg113 is the self appointed expert on biofuels although he only discoverd it on this forum six months ago and has probably never tryed it of even owns a diesel.

HOLA4412

yep.... you can run your car on food oil, but I believe you're meant to mix it with white spirits. It needs to be stirred and stood for a while (a few weeks).

Therefore to run your car on it, you need to have tubs waiting at varying stages of readiness.

Also you need to thoroughly clean out your tank and car bits (apologies, I don't know alot about car engines!) of diesel first, or otherwise there will be issues.

There are recipes for making it on the internet.

Yes, you are also meant to pay tax on it if you choose this option, and if you don't and get caught then I guess there's trouble.

I'll have a look see if I can find links to the recipes.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
yep.... you can run your car on food oil, but I believe you're meant to mix it with white spirits. It needs to be stirred and stood for a while (a few weeks).

Therefore to run your car on it, you need to have tubs waiting at varying stages of readiness.

Also you need to thoroughly clean out your tank and car bits (apologies, I don't know alot about car engines!) of diesel first, or otherwise there will be issues.

There are recipes for making it on the internet.

Yes, you are also meant to pay tax on it if you choose this option, and if you don't and get caught then I guess there's trouble.

I'll have a look see if I can find links to the recipes.

don't bother, you have no idea what you are talking about.

HOLA4415
zzg113 is the self appointed expert on biofuels although he only discoverd it on this forum six months ago and has probably never tryed it of even owns a diesel.

Dom, BearLite asked a question. I attempted to answer it as best as I could. If you have a problem with that I suggest you see your psychotherapist to deal with whatever petty grudge or imagined slight motivates you to be such an arrogant pr1ck.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
don't bother, you have no idea what you are talking about.

I never claimed to be an expert, which if you re-read my post, I believe I made clear. :rolleyes:

At least I offered information, while you were just blatantly rude - your last post offered nothing.

Does being unpleasant makes you feel big ? I have a feeling it is because you are desperately seeking a sense of superiority :P

HOLA4418
Dom, BearLite asked a question. I attempted to answer it as best as I could. If you have a problem with that I suggest you see your psychotherapist to deal with whatever petty grudge or imagined slight motivates you to be such an arrogant pr1ck.

:D ok i'm sorry, its just your last post to me when you accused me of trying to catch you out.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
I never claimed to be an expert, which if you re-read my post, I believe I made clear.  :rolleyes:

At least I offered information, while you were just blatantly rude - your last post offered nothing.

Does being unpleasant makes you feel big ?  I have a feeling it is because you are desperately seeking a sense of superiority :P

...and sorry to you too :D

HOLA4421
Yes, me.

Yes you can put new veg oil in your tank, you will however have problems, I won't go into it, ask if you want to know.

I'd quite like to know.

Ok, so we can fuel our cars on veg oil, but we have to pay tax on it. How would we do that? Surely paying tax on veg oil is cheaper than buying petrol?

:rolleyes:

HOLA4422

Pollution - Nitrogen Oxides, for example.

George Monbiot has written some interesting stuff on biofuels:

"Road transport in the United Kingdom consumes 37.6 million tonnes of petroleum products a year.(5) The most productive oil crop which can be grown in this country is rape. The average yield is between 3 and 3.5 tonnes per hectare.(6) One tonne of rapeseed produces 415 kilos of biodiesel.(7) So every hectare of arable land could provide 1.45 tonnes of transport fuel.

To run our cars and buses and lorries on biodiesel, in other words, would require 25.9m hectares. There are 5.7m in the United Kingdom.(8) Switching to green fuels requires four and half times our arable area. Even the EU’s more modest target of 20% by 2020 would consume almost all our cropland.

If the same thing is to happen all over Europe, the impact on global food supply will be catastrophic: big enough to tip the global balance from net surplus to net deficit. If, as some environmentalists demand, it is to happen worldwide, then most of the arable surface of the planet will be deployed to produce food for cars, not people.

- read the whole article at - http://www.monbiot.com/archives/2004/11/23...ars-not-people/

Edited by gruffydd

HOLA4423
HOLA4424

If you want to use straight veggie oil you really need to mod your engine with bigger fuel pipes, or something to pre-warm the oil as the oil is thicker when cool. This tends to limit your car to running on veggie oil, though.

Much better is biodiesel which doesn't need to be that time consuming to make if you have the right kit (about £1500 or much, much less if you're good with DIY). Biodiesel runs in most diesel cars without modding and doesn't leave all those filthy fossil fuel deposits. If you are miles from anywhere with not much in the tank, you can pour in normal diesel without worries.

As someone said, you do need to pay tax on the fuel you make by registering as a fuel producer!

Personally I can not think of a single good reason why the law hould crack down on DIY biofuelers.

A few years ago I thought biodiesel was some wacky thing for Nikola Tesla fans, but now that I've seen many people using it and even making it, the truth is:

It's not much hassle!

There are downsides, however. It allows for car use to continue up to a point (cars are not just fume-producers but play-area destroying, urban sprawl, donut-effect creators). Luckily, though, it could never fully replace petroleum fuels as there probably isn't enough space to grow enough biomatter. Hopefully, it will provide a good boost to agriculture while still focussing minds away from fundamentalist car use.

HOLA4425
Let's face it, if your own urine could power a car's engine then within 24 hours the UK Government would have slapped a prohibitive tax on going for a wee wee!

Reminds me of a Chubby Brown joke - If sh1t was expensive they would tax your ar5e.

I remember reading that a lot of the major car manufacturers do not recommend using bio-diesel, and will not honour the warranty if the engine goes bang and bio-diesel was found to have been used, hey i may be wrong though.

http://www.tiscali.co.uk/motoring/features...tion/page1.html

http://www.channel4.com/4car/buying-guide/...biofuels-7.html