House Price Crash Forum

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If not for that reason then what else is there?

Well, the main reason to emigrate is a better lifestyle, and finance is always going to help with that. But it's not a good reason in itself: houses in Baghdad are probably pretty cheap, but would you want to live there?

Certainly a few weeks ago I looked up the houses for sale in the town in Canada where my girlfriend lives, and out of the eighty for sale there were a whole two that I couldn't afford to buy if I took out a 20k mortgage.

Even in Edmonton, where her parents live and there's more money thanks to the oil industry, I could afford maybe 80% of the houses on offer. Could barely afford a single one advertised in the estate agents around here.

Two people in a nice house with a minimal mortgage has got to be a better standard of living than the crap we have over here, provided I can find any kind of half-decent job. Even if I end up lounging around in my underwear posting on the Net while she goes out to work, that wouldn't be such a bad way to live :).

In what way is it different?

* Cost of living is now far higher.

* The people no longer have any compassion for anybody but themselves.

* It's far more money oriented.

* The work hours are a joke (always have been really, but worse now)

* Medicare has been run completely into the ground - anyone who thinks the NHS in the UK is worse needs their head read.

* Thanks to John Howard racism is now accepted as OK and normal.

If any of you really think Aussie life is commuting on a ferry to work in Sydney like the picture previously you are in for a rude awakening when you make the move.

* Medicare has been run completely into the ground - anyone who thinks the NHS in the UK is worse needs their head read.

If any of you really think Aussie life is commuting on a ferry to work in Sydney like the picture previously you are in for a rude awakening when you make the move.

You seem to have an axe to grind here, do you want to elaborate?

Good luck to all of you who plan to emigrate.

Let's just hope none of you are among the large number of people on this forum who are so vociferous against immigrants to the UK. I hope you don't think that immigrants who come here are "stealing jobs" from the locals, while you are an asset to the economies in which you will work.

Nothing wrong with moving abroad to try to find a better life for yourself - I just wish people wouldn't be so hypocritical about it.

Australia has a population of 20 million, the whole of Europe could be placed into Western Australia alone.

There is a difference between moving to a new country and embracing their culture, and not forcing your culture and even your laws on the indiginous population.

The UK is full up, a life on a treadmill running to stand still.

If you go to Australia thinking its all handed on a plate, then think again. If you go to Australia with a view that you will fit in, and make big changes to the way you think and work then like anything its what you make of it.

Manly Beach, takes me back, the pub at the end of the Corso and the UTurn great times.

It appears I started this thing about Oz yesterday. Yes, I have been to Sydney and I have friends and family there. None of them have said they have been tempted to return to the UK yet! They absolutely love it so I am not completely convinced by the arguments that it isn't that good. It's a lifestyle choice and I loved their's. In fact, I found the ozzies extremely friendly and happy, much more so than in the UK. I put it down to the fantastic weather.

As I said before, I don't think the house prices are an issue for someone going over on a visa as they cannot buy a house in Oz without permanent residency.

Guest rigsby II
It's a lifestyle choice and I loved their's. In fact, I found the ozzies extremely friendly and happy, much more so than in the UK. I put it down to the fantastic weather.

Did any one see Kath & Kim on telly - funniest thing I've seen in ages.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/comedy/kathandkim/dictionary/

http://www.kathandkim.com

http://www.abc.net.au/kathandkim/

It really gives the feeling of true absolute boredom of Aussie & NZ 'burb life down to a tee....

Recent research discovered that an astonishing one third of Britain's population would like to move abroad. By the year 2020, The Centre for Future Studies predicts a staggering 6 million more Britons will be living abroad compared with today.

No Sh1t Sherlock, I wonder why?.

Could it be the same reason many Dutch People are now leaving.

Blimey - you did have a hard time in Oz, its no wonder you felt you had to leave.

It seems you have had some very bad personal experiences but you shouldnt let it ruin your life

I thought Medicare was spot on when I was there.

You pay for what you get.

The thing with Oz is, if you are a taker then forget it. The Ozzies unlike the UK will not let anyone sit on their backside and fund their lifestyle. If you are a giver then you will become a getter. Its as simple as that.

Oz is how the UK should be, fair on immigration with a points system that excludes undesirables and non English Speakers. And a social security system that rewards those in hardship that have contributed to the tax system. All other will have to look for a meal ticket elsewhere as Australia is not an easy touch by any means.

A FAIR GO is their motto and from my experiences thats what I found.

always suprises me why a country of such size as australia with such low population would have any kind of housing bubble at all

heck plonk me a cabin down 20 mile out in the sticks i would be happy enough

You'd have to go more than 20 miles, but there are "towns" here that give land away.

Most of the population have already left of course.

But it demonstrates that the only important thing about any house/land is location.

I would agree with all of this and more.

Thatcher's Britain = Howard's Australia.

... and for all of you blaming Blair and Brown for the housing bubble in the UK, remember we have had almost 10 years of Conservative government and we have a housing bubble that is at least as bad, if not worse. At least Blair and Brown didn't introduce tax changes that directly fuelled real estate speculation.

Cheers, David.

Edited by David from Oz
I would agree with all of this and more.

Thatcher's Britain = Howard's Australia.

... and for all of you blaming Blair and Brown for the housing bubble in the UK, remember we have had almost 10 years of Conservative government and we have a housing bubble that is at least as bad, if not worse.  At least Blair and Brown didn't introduce tax changes that directly fuelled real estate speculation.

Cheers, David.

I went to casualty last week in Upper Ferntree Gully (outer east melbourne) - all on medicare - I was an & out (xrayed etc) within 2 hours, the hospital was v clean and the waiting room wasn't like the usual NHS filthy warzone that I was used to in west London.

The real estate speculation is driven mainly by an oversupply of cheap credit & underperforming stock markets - the same as everywhere else.

I went to casualty last week in Upper Ferntree Gully (outer east melbourne) - all on medicare - I was an & out (xrayed etc) within 2 hours, the hospital was v clean and the waiting room wasn't like the usual NHS filthy warzone that I was used to in west London
Ok, Medicare ain't that bad by world standards, but John Howard is determined to dismantle it and put in its place a US style health care system. The 30% health insurance rebate is a gift from Howard to his mates in the private health insurance industry. Every month our premiums go up and up, and for what?
The real estate speculation is driven mainly by an oversupply of cheap credit & underperforming stock markets - the same as everywhere else.
True, but we also have the halving of capital gains tax, negative gearing and generous depreciation allowances which act like an after burner to the real estate boom.

Read Kohler's brilliant piece after the 2004 budget (every bit as relevant a year later)

Treasurer makes a big mess worse

The incentive for taxpayers to corporatise or capitalise income is reaching crisis levels; the Howard Government's decision, on the recommendation of the Ralph committee, to cut the company tax rate from 36 to 30 per cent between 2000 and 2002 while at the same time reducing capital gains tax to 24 per cent was a terrible mistake and needs to be reversed
the world and his wife had two or more properties financed by what they describe as negative gearing. We would describe this method of finance as insanity.

It has never made sense to me. Make a measurable financial loss today in the hope that you will make a possible capital gain. To enter into an investment with a gauranteed (sp) loss :unsure: Unfortunately there is a myth around about negative gearing. The myth goes like this. The government will never play around with it because the last time that they did the amount of rental properties just plummeted. Kinda true but it wasn't the abolishment of negative gearing that did it....

Anyhow.....

To me it is more like gambling. If there were enough deposit and the property generated an income.... now that I understand. Steve McKnight championed this "strategy" at the start of the boom. There were properties where the rent exceeded the repayments. To a lot of people he is some sort of financial genius. He wrote a book called "from 0 - 130 properties in 3.5 minutes (oops years)". Apparently he didn't like his job so he and his mate bought 130 properties, wrote a book and made a mint. I have put it to his converts that if everyone did it they'd be screwed. On his buliten board there are always excited people saying "read the book. He is a champ. I am ready to hock my house on property speculation. WHERE ARE THE PROPERTIES WHICH THE RENT EXCEEDS THE REPAYMENTS?" the answer is always the same "out there. look harder." :lol:

Anyhow, I would be more impressed if he pulled it off now. That would prove me wrong.

I plan to emigrate to Sydney next year as I'm totally fed up with this country.

Don't go to Sydney! NSW sucks. I am not just saying that because I am a Queenslander. If NSW was so great how come they are moving to SE QLD in the 10's of thousands?

Someone mentioned earlier about buying a house in Oz. I think I am right in saying that you cannot buy a house until you have full residency - a visa is no good.

Not sure about that. I think that we'd sell a house to Osama bin Laden as long as he promised to stay away from the Airport

I figure that if I cannot afford a house in the UK I might as well go somewhere fantastic and not be able to afford one there instead but live a far better life.

Same sh1t3. Different place ;) We've got plenty of prob's. Warm beer isn't one. Come on over. My shout at the bar B)

Australia and New Zealand are like one big outpost of the UK in the middle of the Pacific and Indian Oceans.

Just a quick correction

Should read "Australia, thanks to a bunch of lap dog's in power, is like on big outpost of the USA in the middle of the Pacific and Indian Oceans. :P

Edited by GCS15
Should read "Australia, thanks to a bunch of lap dog's in power, is like on big outpost of the USA in the middle of the Pacific and Indian Oceans

The Kiwis (to their credit) are considerably more independent that Australia. Howard proudly calls himself Bush's deputy in the South Pacific. I'd emigrate to NZ if it wasn't so friggin' cold and wet.

The Kiwis (to their credit) are considerably more independent that Australia.  Howard proudly calls himself Bush's deputy in the South Pacific.  I'd emigrate to NZ if it wasn't so friggin' cold and wet.

The ANZUS treaty has been a contentious issue for some time now. The Kiwi's wish to remain nuclear free. In pursuit of this policy they have told the US "No nuclear powered or armed ships are to dock in the land of the long white cloud. All others are welcome". US' response "umm we can't tell you which ships are nuclear powered or armed." Kiwi's "well the one's that aren't are welcome the ones that are aren't" Stalemate. US will not send any ships there. Crybabies :P Also at least Helen Clark will stand up for NZ. Howard won't do jack to look after Aussies whom get into trouble OS. Hell he even let's our friend George have them tortured.

Interestingly, in my game Super Power 2, whenever I attack New Zealand (conventional and strategic and to the utter dismay of my kiwi missus) the Yanks come running.