House Price Crash Forum

If it gets to the stage where the value of their house in the UK is less than their mortgage then they will simply let the bank reposess it and they will stay in Spain. Most of the Brits here are disillusioned with the UK and would not care at all about abandoning it.

That sounds like a recipe for disaster.

If a bank repossesses a property, they will sell it (for whatever they can get for it in a buyers' market), but contrary to what many people believe, they won't write off the outstanding balance. They will keep chasing the mortgage-holder until they get the rest of their money, even if it means turfing them out of their Spanish property.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I left 2 years ago.

Things that p1ssed me off

The traffic

The rain

Tony Blair and his incompetent government

The pensions & education mess engineered completely by the aforementioned govt

Compensation Culture

British Television - has turned to absolute garbage over the past 10 years

Tabloid newspapers

Obsession with Celebrity

Manchester United

the landed gentry

the house of lords

the fact that the uK is in denial about the criminality of its population (handwringers complain that we lock up more criminals per head than the rest of Europe.........thats probably because we have more criminals per head than the rest of Europe)

The fact that everything goes wrong - the millenium dome, the railways, numerous IT fiascos

Things that frightened me

Living in London after what happened to Damilola Taylor, Ive got 2 young kids, and nobody seemed to make any serious attempt to catch the culprits. I dont want'my kids growing up in a city like that

Peoples reaction after that horsey sloan diana died

The rise of the chav

The free and easy attitude to drugs, especially cocaine & crack, which have swamped London.

That very few people seem bothered about ID cards and the vast amount of spying that goes on via security cameras.

Things that worried me

The rise of the right & uncontrolled immigration

The state of the UK economy, which is seemingly based on people going to shops to buy foreign made goods using borrowed money that they really have no idea how they are ever going to pay back

Potential for terrorism because of all the disaffected nutters running around London in particular

2 years on, things seem to be getting even worse. I feel sorry for my friends and relatives I left behind

"The U.S. is a culture vacuum."

gee- where does Britain - and the world - get xx% of its films, music, art shows and theatre productions from? That's a pretty ignorant and sweeping statement from someone who travels there - presumably you are excluding major cities from that comment?

Yes that was a 'sweeping generalisaion'.

I have spent over 3 years there, been to cities on both seaboards - guess what they are the same. Only slightly more cultured than the 'Meat and Potato' towns in between. (A U.S. citizen quoted me this)

The core people are however great and I love Americans,I would have to my Daughter was born there and is one, and I am proud to be standing with them, even if most of my countrymen are too short sigted to see what is happening, but this is tottaly off topic.

A couple I know bought a house back in 1998 in SE London and spent an amount equivalent to about 75% of the purchase price doing in up.

Over the past few years however, the area they live in has gone from 'pleasant' to Chav/Goth infested, and they now wish their 'designer sleek & stylish interior catalogue blueprint' home could be transported to a 'much nicer area'.

But they just can't afford to move now because they've MEWed so much to invest in their current prop - and now they're stuck.

In the current social climate, it pays to stay mobile/flexible.

A couple I know bought a house back in 1998 in SE London and spent an amount equivalent to about 75% of the purchase price doing in up.

Over the past few years however, the area they live in has gone from 'pleasant' to Chav/Goth infested, and they now wish their 'designer sleek & stylish interior catalogue blueprint' home could be transported to a 'much nicer area'.

But they just can't afford to move now because they've MEWed so much to invest in their current prop - and now they're stuck.

In the current social climate, it pays to stay mobile/flexible.

No doubt the area is 'up-and-coming' :lol:

Oz is great if you can get a good job and handle large spiders :blink:

Houses were massive in Melbourne and most people were ex-pats. Problem is there are so many Brits out there now. You are regarded as a Pom whether you come from UK or Ireland! Oz looks after their own people first when it comes to jobs.

Healthcare isnt that expensive but Dental charges are huge! There is also a huge rise in Fast food outlets - I couldn't believe how many fat people there were.... in some ways very American.

• 7 months later...
I'd go to 1) Italy, 2) Poland, 3)Hungary 4)France.

Poland seems pretty good on the whole - anyone else thought of Poland, if so, where? (though I know they have restictions on foreigners buying property there).

I've lived overseas for approx 10 years and I'm now happily back in the UK ! I'm afraid to say except for the weather most of the places in the world where you can earn a decent living have pretty much the same problems as the UK and often not as many good points as good old blighty. The crazy property prices are pretty much a worldwide happening at the moment and in Australia are even more crazy. Its my guess that any slump ( when it comes ) will be US driven and be a worldwide event. Infact the UK may be a good place to be if times get tough !

One of the reasons I moved back to the UK was to buy a house ! Should have looked at the prices a bit more carefully before hand I think.

Moving abroad isn't all its cracked up to be. For a start you will never get away from the fact you're now seen as a foreigner. Doesn't matter if your skin is the same colour as the locals, you're an immigrant and many local people will have problems with that. You will also have to speak the local language very well, even if English is well spoken it doesn't mean the locals will want to speak it all the time. Some things will not be as good as Britain, it may be the authorties, health care perhaps, these things will annoy you.

There are some things I liked about not living in the UK, mainly the fact you're not surrounded by media culture as much. Its easy to ignore another countries celebrities and politics. Some things are also better, prices, transport and health care mainly.

I've lived overseas for approx 10 years

Rootsnall, could you give a short itinerary of the countries/places this comprised of? Agree with you re: the Australian property bubble, it's like the UK on steroids (mainly because of a crazy tax system which is like rocket fuel to the bubble).

No, my point was would people living in the Uk serious consider leaving to move abroad to a better (and often cheaper) quality of life? Just throwing a question into the forum for a change.

No they will all stay here and help pay off the massive debt the government has accumulated, I think it’s stands at about £20k for every working man, once this debt has been paid back they will retire on the pension they are currently paying into via national insurance, trouble is no one told them that all the Lawyers, MP’s, Police pensions will come out first and they can not use a calculator.

Tiss so nice to be a farmer :D

I plan to emigrate to Sydney next year as I'm totally fed up with this country. Someone mentioned earlier about buying a house in Oz. I think I am right in saying that you cannot buy a house until you have full residency - a visa is no good. I figure that if I cannot afford a house in the UK I might as well go somewhere fantastic and not be able to afford one there instead but live a far better life. I have been told it's very difficult to return to the UK though once you've gone because of the differences in the cost of living/salaries.

I plan to emigrate to Sydney next year as I'm totally fed up with this country. Someone mentioned earlier about buying a house in Oz. I think I am right in saying that you cannot buy a house until you have full residency - a visa is no good. I figure that if I cannot afford a house in the UK I might as well go somewhere fantastic and not be able to afford one there instead but live a far better life. I have been told it's very difficult to return to the UK though once you've gone because of the differences in the cost of living/salaries.

Have you been to Sydney? It ain't that fantastic you know!

It ain't that fantastic you know!

Better than London, IMHO.

Not that I'm a big fan of Australia (though I do want to go back for a couple of months sometime to see the parts I missed before), but if I was given a choice between those two cities, I'd take Sydney.

Better than London, IMHO.

Not that I'm a big fan of Australia (though I do want to go back for a couple of months sometime to see the parts I missed before), but if I was given a choice between those two cities, I'd take Sydney.

The people of Sydney are far more pretentious than the people of LA...let alone London.

You couldn't pay me to live there. The harbour is the only redeeming feature, but 99.9% of the population couldn't live anywhere near it, instead they are forced to live in excruciatingly ugly & bland suburbs at best or gang warzones at worst.

Edited by Gtr London FTB