House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ken_ichikawa

Dodging The Uk Air Passenger Duty Tax?

How?

People say fly into Switzerland or take the train into France and fly from Paris?

But does this actually work? I mean surely the UK government are not joined up therefore I can use my UK debit card on a UK site to buy a flight from France or Germany and so the UK governmenr doesn't know right?

(note this tax actually breaks several international ageements that you can only tax for your own airspace not for others).

I somehow don't fancy shelling out an extra £175 for environmental causes just to go home to see my dad now and again.

Thanks

Annoyingly, the cost of getting to a European hub on a split ticket more of less wipes out the saving you'd make on a long-haul flight. The politicians aren't stupid, and have set the duty level at something just low enough to make it not really worth your while trying to circumvent it.

Example: I'm about to book a ticket for a US trip in early January. MME-AMS-PDX-ONT on KLM/Delta in a single, UK-booked ticket is £595. The ticket from AMS booked on expedia.nl for the same dates is 460 euros. But of course by the time you've got to AMS under your own steam (e.g. on Jet2 from LBA), you'll probably end up making a saving of £20-30 at most, and will also have the risk that if the connection goes wrong, you're totally fokkered. In short, the cost of getting to that European hub wipes out the saving on air passenger duty. I suppose that if you're starting from London and can get a good Eurostar deal to CDG or BRU then the sums might just add up, and/or if you're travelling business class for the long-haul but are willing to slum it from home to the hub; but they certainly don't if you're starting from the north of England and travelling economy.

How?

People say fly into Switzerland or take the train into France and fly from Paris?

But does this actually work? I mean surely the UK government are not joined up therefore I can use my UK debit card on a UK site to buy a flight from France or Germany and so the UK governmenr doesn't know right?

(note this tax actually breaks several international ageements that you can only tax for your own airspace not for others).

I somehow don't fancy shelling out an extra £175 for environmental causes just to go home to see my dad now and again.

Thanks

I don't think this will work very well for you.

I actually use a UK site to book flights out of Switzerland because the exchange rate is so extreme now - airlines haven't raised the GBP prices of international flights(or dropped the CHF prices) by as much as they should so it works out cheaper.

If you were a student with time on your hands but less money, it'd be worth it - as a working person you'll lose so much time it won't be worth it.

If you're convinced it's illegal you could apply for legal aid and challenge it! (don't know how the legal aid system works)

I don't think this will work very well for you.

I actually use a UK site to book flights out of Switzerland because the exchange rate is so extreme now - airlines haven't raised the GBP prices of international flights(or dropped the CHF prices) by as much as they should so it works out cheaper.

If you were a student with time on your hands but less money, it'd be worth it - as a working person you'll lose so much time it won't be worth it.

If you're convinced it's illegal you could apply for legal aid and challenge it! (don't know how the legal aid system works)

In the near future I'll have a lot of time on my hands because the job I'm in has a huge chance of ending in February, hell if it cost me almost the same I'd rather give money to the airlines than let the UK government take it.