House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Uriah Heap

Are You Worth £620,000?

If one couple are worth £620,000 in ransom money that puts the total value of the UK population at about £18.6 trillion. It sounds like there may be a way of cutting the deficit in there if we can be a bit creative.

If one couple are worth £620,000 in ransom money that puts the total value of the UK population at about £18.6 trillion. It sounds like there may be a way of cutting the deficit in there if we can be a bit creative.

We can't very well hold ourselves to ransom. Shouldn't we be calculating how much the French would be worth?

I would like to see mercenaries given $1000 per Somali pirate's head.

Wait until you see how much the Chandlers get for their "exclusive" interview, then a book deal. They'll be worth way more than that! ;)

Good point. The value of hostages only goes up.

Neat solution!

Each mercenary could just DHL the pirate head to an offshore centre in India for payment. There could be bonus money for gold teeth. Actually they could just round up the pirates, harvest their lungs, hearts, kidneys and livers and start saving decent lives. I believe China has a similar scheme for its prisoners?

This jolted a memory of a documentary about knights in the dark ages.

I always wondered why they had all that colour on them (aside from friendly fire) but apparently it was hard to get killed in your armour as basically you where a walking lottery win for anyone who could get you. A whole ransom industry was beavering away across Europe.

Rubbish but rich knights waded into battle knowing this whilst the poor got slaughtered...... drowning in mud being the primary cause of death due to falling over in all that armour or off a horse.

Nice.

To think that could of gone towards a mortgage for the people mentioned in "Penny Drops On Mumsnet" thread, they could even buy a boat and put in the moat, there are no pirates there (yet). Won't somebody think of the those poor people for once?

Sarcasm aside, I guess I would rather the money was spent getting them free than lent to someone who spends it on overpriced bricks and mortar.

I always wondered why they had all that colour on them (aside from friendly fire) but apparently it was hard to get killed in your armour as basically you where a walking lottery win for anyone who could get you. A whole ransom industry was beavering away across Europe.

Rubbish but rich knights waded into battle knowing this whilst the poor got slaughtered...... drowning in mud being the primary cause of death due to falling over in all that armour or off a horse.

Culminating in the ransom of Richard 1st for 65,000lbs of silver, costing £17 million at today's prices.

Did the pirates get the Asking Price, or were they eventually forced sellers?

I hope they negotiated.

"Come on guys, get real. They're a couple of pensioners - not royalty."

Thought they stopped all that malarky at Agincourt where the peasantry/footmen/whatever went round and inserted a dagger through the slits in the helmets of the French knights who weren't dead.

Edit. Ahhh seems they did keep a fair few alive, just the ones worth a lot of money.

I hope they negotiated.

"Come on guys, get real. They're a couple of pensioners - not royalty."

If I ever got kidnapped by Somali pirates, I'd want Kirsty Allsopp negotiating for me.

"They've asked for $7m but I'm going to offer $8m to secure the deal."

Give a man a fish, you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, you feed him for a life time. Send an aid worker from a first world country to teach him to fish, and the ransom money will set the whole village up quite nicely for years.

The problem with piracy is that there's no way of dealing with it. That's not because of the usual reasons given, it's because the Navy are essentially powerless due to a shift in technology. The only ship that the Navy still has that could deal with them properly is HMS Victory, but she'd probably sink as soon as she was put back in water. The reason for this is because, if you look back, pirates are supposed to hang from the yardarm. The problem there is the distinct lack of yardarms on modern warships. Looks like a bit of a lack of planning ahead if you ask me.

The pirates and their captives should be sponsored by Loreal.

Give a man a fish, you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, you feed him for a life time. Send an aid worker from a first world country to teach him to fish, and the ransom money will set the whole village up quite nicely for years.

Hawr Hawr!

Well I'll be damned!

Good post!

Give a pirate a fire, he will be warm for a night.

Set a pirate on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life...

The problem with piracy is that there's no way of dealing with it. That's not because of the usual reasons given, it's because the Navy are essentially powerless due to a shift in technology. The only ship that the Navy still has that could deal with them properly is HMS Victory, but she'd probably sink as soon as she was put back in water. The reason for this is because, if you look back, pirates are supposed to hang from the yardarm. The problem there is the distinct lack of yardarms on modern warships. Looks like a bit of a lack of planning ahead if you ask me.

A block of concrete and some rope would be the quickest and most economical method to deal with these persons.

To think Britannia has to rely on an immigrant taxi-driver parlying with these savages to protect Her Majesty's subjects on the high seas. :angry: