House Price Crash Forum
NatalieJUK

Chorlton

I love this house: http://www.homesandproperty.co.uk/sales/1450576

Was originally on for substantially more: http://www.debeauvoirtown.com/details/property-details.jsp?ID=13572

I think it's roughly the same as this one, last sold on Zoopla (although obviously, we don't know what the conditions of the houses were like...)

Jun 2007

26 Beech Road, Manchester M21 8BQ

£430,000

Now...I would have thought June 2007 was pretty much the peak of the market, meaning that the house still has some way to drop (possibly). But then I don't know whether Chorlton's reputation (and subsequently house prices) have grown massively in the past three years.

Can anyone see there being a time soonish where this sort of house in this area is available for the same sort of price?

I'd say Chorton's prices have gone up over the last 5 years relative to similar areas. I'd say it's now seen as an alternative to West Didsbury where it was seen as the poorer cousin. I'm not sure if your Zoopla price comparison is valid unless you know it's exactly the same house - Beech road has lots of different styles of housing along it, some attractive, some much less so.

chorlton will hold on by its finger tips, expect other areas to go down first. It know one that is on at 245, that was bought for 210 at peak. What does the price comparison report on rightmove say for a partial post code match for the zoopla one? in fact here is http://www.rightmove.co.uk/house-value.html?searchLocation=M21+8BQ&displayPropertyType=detachedshouses&bedrooms=4&radius=0.5&sellersPriceGuide=Update+results for 4 bed detached within 1/2 mile. Suggests it is overpriced - but so is everything these days.

chorlton will hold on by its finger tips, expect other areas to go down first. It know one that is on at 245, that was bought for 210 at peak. What does the price comparison report on rightmove say for a partial post code match for the zoopla one? in fact here is http://www.rightmove.co.uk/house-value.html?searchLocation=M21+8BQ&displayPropertyType=detachedshouses&bedrooms=4&radius=0.5&sellersPriceGuide=Update+results for 4 bed detached within 1/2 mile. Suggests it is overpriced - but so is everything these days.

Ooh I didn't even notice the Rightmove comparison reports! Thanks for the info both...really helpful.

I love this house: http://www.homesandproperty.co.uk/sales/1450576

Was originally on for substantially more: http://www.debeauvoirtown.com/details/property-details.jsp?ID=13572

I think it's roughly the same as this one, last sold on Zoopla (although obviously, we don't know what the conditions of the houses were like...)

Jun 2007

26 Beech Road, Manchester M21 8BQ

£430,000

Now...I would have thought June 2007 was pretty much the peak of the market, meaning that the house still has some way to drop (possibly). But then I don't know whether Chorlton's reputation (and subsequently house prices) have grown massively in the past three years.

Can anyone see there being a time soonish where this sort of house in this area is available for the same sort of price?

Hi Natalie,

Your top link no longer works - Is this the house you're referring to?

Beech Road, £599k

If so, I believe it underwent months of renovation after it was bought in 2007 which goes someone to reflect the price they're hoping to achieve for it now. There was a team of builders there so they could easily have spent £100k to £150k on the refurbishment. I will check the address of the property currently for sale.

Personally it seems very overpriced for what it is - The crash doesn't seem to be happening in Chorlton ... yet. Prices have recovered from their 2008 / 2009 lows and are back up to 2007 peaks - there seems to a certain type of buyer who is oblivious to what's happening in the real world and is able to spend £300k, £400k £500k without blinking an eyelid!

However, if you look further afield in the less popular areas of Manchester and less popular properties eg Converted flats - these are down heavily in price and I suspect it's only a matter of time before this affects Chorlton.

Regards M21er

Hi Natalie,

Beech Road, £599k

If so, I believe it underwent months of renovation after it was bought in 2007 which goes someone to reflect the price they're hoping to achieve for it now. There was a team of builders there so they could easily have spent £100k to £150k on the refurbishment. I will check the address of the property currently for sale.

Personally it seems very overpriced for what it is - The crash doesn't seem to be happening in Chorlton ... yet. Prices have recovered from their 2008 / 2009 lows and are back up to 2007 peaks - there seems to a certain type of buyer who is oblivious to what's happening in the real world and is able to spend £300k, £400k £500k without blinking an eyelid!

However, if you look further afield in the less popular areas of Manchester and less popular properties eg Converted flats - these are down heavily in price and I suspect it's only a matter of time before this affects Chorlton.

Regards M21er

Just got back from inspection! The property for sale is 26 Beech Road. This is the property that underwent substantial refurbishment as I mentioned above so the price presumably reflects what they paid plus what they spent.

Personally, better value elsewhere in Chorlton for me even in today's market.

M21er

Hi Natalie,

Beech Road, £599k

It's the "bohemian" dividend. It's Metrolink dividend. It's the BBC dividend...

I don't think Chorlton is alone in being like this. Some of us just have to wait, we have no choice.

It's the "bohemian" dividend. It's Metrolink dividend. It's the BBC dividend...

I don't think Chorlton is alone in being like this. Some of us just have to wait, we have no choice.

Hi Daiking,

Don't disagree with your reasons ( Friends on Chorltonville are convinced prices there will shoot up because of the BBC ) Just find it hard to understand how people can in the current climate happily pay these prices. I'm aware of friends with mortgages of over £200k interest only and wonder what will happen to Chorlton prices when interest rates start to rise.

If you avoid the trendy over priced Victorian properties, then there is some relative value in parts of Chorlton. Still way too expensive but compared to other areas eg Whalley Range offer relatively good value. Eg The 1930's semi detached houses on Belwood, Beaumont and Reeves offer decent accommodation and are still in the 'trendy' Beech Road area.

3 Bed Semi - Beaumont Road

M21er

What's the difference between Chorltonville and Chorlton-cum-hardy?

Using the maps option on rightmove CCH is bigger but covers all of Chorltonville.

Using the maps option on rightmove CCH is bigger but covers all of Chorltonville.

Chorltonville is an area within Chorlton. It's an odd 'time-warp' kind of area with mainly private roads. In a good location backing onto the water park, new primary school and behind Beech Road.

about 30 grand.

( Thread continuation from April 2011 )

The property 26 Beech Road, Chorlton, M21 is finally SSTC!

Looks like it's sold for around £695k - £100k more than was being asked for ( and failed ) in 2010/11

My comments back then have proved to be laughably naive -( when interest rates rise ) - the market in Chorlton is booming at the moment. I won't make any predictions about this being the final peak...