House Price Crash Forum

Bring Back Debtors Prisons

Guest Guy_Montag

HOLA441
Guest Guy_Montag

given that everyone & their brother is going to be bankrupt in a few years. I suggest we abolish bankruptcy now, & re-intorduce debtors prisons. Where people can be held, and, where possible, allowed to carry on their trade or profession until their debts are cleared (plus cost of room & board). Those that don't have a trade or profession that can be carried out from inside a cell, probably don't contribute much to sum of human happiness or knowledge and can be used for medical experimentation. :)

HOLA442
given that everyone & their brother is going to be bankrupt in a few years.  I suggest we abolish bankruptcy now, & re-intorduce debtors prisons.  Where people can be held, and, where possible, allowed to carry on their trade or profession until their debts are cleared (plus cost of room & board).  Those that don't have a trade or profession that can be carried out from inside a cell, probably don't contribute much to sum of human happiness or knowledge and can be used for medical experimentation. :)

As long as the darkest cells are reserved for irresponsible lenders and corrupting fly-by-night financial advisors, I see no problem with this.

Deviants.

HOLA443
Guest Guy_Montag
As long as the darkest cells are reserved for irresponsible lenders and corrupting fly-by-night financial advisors, I see no problem with this.

Deviants.

I imagine they would fit into the medical experimentation category.

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
One of the few ideas I sympathise with religion on* is the Islamic provision that it is wrong to charge interest.

(NB: this is not because I am anti-Islamic, but anti-theisitic...)

It's frowned upon in Christianity (which is why it was illegal here).

That's why we have the image of Jews as money grabbers... only they were allowed to lend money.

Lending at usurious rates is still illegal but I don't think it has been decided by case exactly what that level is.

I regard store cards charging 29% APR as usury.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415

Does that mean that someone with a big debt on the basis of store cards could run a test case?

[/q]

Anyone can apply to court to have a consumer credit agreement set aside on the basis that it is 'extortionate'. The lender may, however, argue that the agreement simply reflected the risk involved on their part (e.g. lending to someone with a poor credit rating). Each case would be considered on its own merits.