House Price Crash Forum
Charlie Don't Surf

Why You Can Pick Up A House For Next To Nothing In The Us?

Stumbled across the city of Camden NJ on Streetview the other day. Possibly the grimmest place in all of the USA. I doubt there are many people here who would take one of these houses for free.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=camden+nj&sll=39.924847,-75.121257&sspn=0.003271,0.004018&gl=uk&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Camden,+New+Jersey,+United+States&ll=39.928275,-75.119555&spn=0.003357,0.004018&t=h&z=18&layer=c&cbll=39.928183,-75.119557&panoid=6aoeRKmH_uAGNBmIfDKDgw&cbp=12,273.15,,0,7.16

It goes on like this for miles

Here's a 3 bed house for $8,900 - on the nicer side of town too

http://www.trulia.com/foreclosure/3022870111--Louis-St-Camden-NJ-08104

Truly horrendous

Stumbled across the city of Camden NJ on Streetview the other day. Possibly the grimmest place in all of the USA. I doubt there are many people here who would take one of these houses for free.

http://maps.google.c...,273.15,,0,7.16

http://www.trulia.co...Camden-NJ-08104

Truly horrendous

ideal to play the Call Of Duty 4 with real ammo ....

Damn, looks like something out of a Death Wish movie.

"Based on statistics reported to the Federal Bureau of Investigation, Camden was the third-most dangerous city in the U.S. during 2002, and has been ranked the nation's most dangerous city in 2004, 2005 and 2009.[53] "Most dangerous city" is based on crime statistics in six categories: murder, rape, robbery, aggravated assault, burglary, and auto theft."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camden,_New_Jersey#Additional_facts

Not the most representative city..

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=camden+nj&sll=39.924847,-75.121257&sspn=0.003271,0.004018&gl=uk&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Camden,+New+Jersey,+United+States&ll=39.928275,-75.119555&spn=0.003357,0.004018&t=h&z=18&layer=c&cbll=39.928183,-75.119557&panoid=6aoeRKmH_uAGNBmIfDKDgw&cbp=12,273.15,,0,7.16

What's up with the picture quality - has there been a nuclear accident in that area ?

Not Google's best work.

I guess they must have been a hurry.

you still have to pay your property taxes, insurances and pay to kick out squatters and keep repairing the place, and there are no jobs.. your paying money out for no reason

http://www.trulia.com/foreclosure/3022870111--Louis-St-Camden-NJ-08104

Truly horrendous

Truly affordable. :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Ah, you beat me to it. Check out these $100 detached houses ! I've been eyeing them up for a couple of months. Whilst I live in the overpriced joke that is Berkshire, my employer's head office is within an hour of Detroit. I could take a job move and live in a mansion for peanuts. But my colleagues there keep warning me that there is a reason Detroit is cheap...

"Based on statistics reported to the Federal Bureau of Investigation, Camden was the third-most dangerous city in the U.S. during 2002, and has been ranked the nation's most dangerous city in 2004, 2005 and 2009.[53] "Most dangerous city" is based on crime statistics in six categories: murder, rape, robbery, aggravated assault, burglary, and auto theft."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camden,_New_Jersey#Additional_facts

Not the most representative city..

I'm not entirely convinced that "auto theft" ranks alongside rape and murder in terms of "danger"

tim

I'm not entirely convinced that "auto theft" ranks alongside rape and murder in terms of "danger"

tim

If it's specifically auto theft when you are in the car (ie aggravated assault of a motor vehicle) then I can see that it might be. If it's theft of a car that you are 5 miles away from then clearly not (although looking at the place why the chuff would you ever leave your car)

East st louis apparently gives Camden a run for its money.

I went to a conference in St. Louis last year, and we were told both at the hotel and in the opening remarks not to stray beyond the city centre without being accompanied by a local who knew which were the safe areas and which weren't. Even walking between the hotel and the Gateway Arch I passed two gun shops.

As for Camden, the following from Wikipedia:

Although once a thriving center for manufacturing and industry, Camden is perhaps best known for its struggles with urban dysfunction. Three Camden mayors have been jailed for corruption, the most recent being Milton Milan in 2000.[8] Since 2005 the school system and police department have been operated by the State of New Jersey; the takeover will expire in 2012. In 2009, Camden had the highest crime rate in the U.S. with 2,333 violent crimes per 100,000 people while the national average was 455 per 100,000 [9] Camden public schools spend $17,000 per student per year yet only two thirds of the students graduate. Two out of every five residents are below the national poverty line.[10]

Sounds like paradise on Earth!

Edited by The Ayatollah Buggeri

Ah, you beat me to it. Check out these $100 detached houses ! I've been eyeing them up for a couple of months. Whilst I live in the overpriced joke that is Berkshire, my employer's head office is within an hour of Detroit. I could take a job move and live in a mansion for peanuts. But my colleagues there keep warning me that there is a reason Detroit is cheap...

If you get the chance go. You don't need to live in Detroit (the city), the suburbs are very nice in places and very affordable. The city of Detroit is 95% rough and uninhabitable, but the 5% is actually very nice, but it's weird living in an enclave that is just three or four blocks with the rest of the city being out of bounds.

Ann Arbor is very nice but about 1 1/2 hours away. Grosse Pointe is posh and is 30 minutes away. Royal Oak is a student area, nice bars. It's a bit like saying avoid Manchester. Salford is dodgy but neighbouring towns are very nice.

EDIT:

The US houses that are just £100 or £1000 are actually many tens of thousands more. You have to pay the back taxes that are due on them. Empty houses attract tax too. They should do that over here.

Edited by Redcellar

I think these types of cities will come back, I don’t know when but they will reinvent themselves and become normal again. The US population will continue to increase, immigrants will get attracted to these areas from an affordability perspective and the existing under utilised infrastructure forms an ideal platform for social and economic development.

But there is no business there, and no potential of business. There are towns where excessive and cheap labour already exist but companies are still moving out of town. Once they get run down there is a vicious spiral as companies leave and the town gets worse and worse. Flint, MI is a great example.

Detroit has turned to small scale farming. Apart from Cannabis, some residents are legally farming former housing plots to grow vegetables. Pretty near the centre. But it's never going to be enough to turn the city around.

The USA is a country of extremes. The haves and have nots. The cities are now merely replicating the same microeconomics of its people.

EDIT:

The US houses that are just £100 or £1000 are actually many tens of thousands more. You have to pay the back taxes that are due on them. Empty houses attract tax too. They should do that over here.

No they shouldn't - this is a shining example of why property taxes (particularly those that are back dated) are a really bad idea. While the price to the vendor is $1000, you'll have to pay $70K to the city in tax arrears. So people look at it and think "stuff it, for $70K I can get a decent house in a decent area. These places will rot until they realise that the taxes will never be paid.