House Price Crash Forum

N.o.d.a.m

dryrot

HOLA441

Too early!!!

Thank you for your charming comments about me.

You are greatly mistaken in your personal observations.

Why don't you Tired of Waiting do something with your life? Be elected for Parliament or your local authority? Spend your energy doing something positive to improve your lot in life rather than whinging on here? You have made perfectly decent and reasonable comments and although I disagree with many, someone as vocal as yourself could do well in furthering your cause.

One piece of friendly advice. When you make personal comment about individuals to argue your case, you alienate poeple, even your supporters, for they will think that if that is what you say about others what will you say about them. Be careful.

I don't disagree with your numbers, nor have I ever. But building in Snowdonia and the Yorkshire Moors is hardly a rational solution to the alledged shortage of houses.

We need to encourage growth away from the South East. In the menatime before the new houses (on a massive scale are built) for those who want a home there are 300,000 units unsold in Ireland and 1 million in Spain.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

Too early!!!

Thank you for your charming comments about me.

You are greatly mistaken in your personal observations.

Sadly not. In this very post you show again your lack of intellectual honesty. I'll show you soon.

Why don't you Tired of Waiting do something with your life? Be elected for Parliament or your local authority? Spend your energy doing something positive to improve your lot in life rather than whinging on here? You have made perfectly decent and reasonable comments and although I disagree with many, someone as vocal as yourself could do well in furthering your cause.

But I am. You just don't know about it, both politically and in terms of personal finances. :) Both me and my wife are professionals, with salaries just above the national average. We are saving, and will buy at the right time. We will be fine. My main concern with house prices is the illogic of it, for the country as a whole, the stupidity and cruelty of this self-inflicted disaster.

And don't dismiss the influence of this Forum either. It has also a public education/protest/campaigning/advocacy function. As a public debate site, it a part of the democratic process. And sometimes it even influences the media too, and voters, and even some politicians.

One piece of friendly advice. When you make personal comment about individuals to argue your case, you alienate poeple, even your supporters, for they will think that if that is what you say about others what will you say about them. Be careful.

Obviously not. They can read, and agree that you deserve it.

I don't disagree with your numbers, nor have I ever.

Thanks.

But building in Snowdonia and the Yorkshire Moors is hardly a rational solution to the alledged shortage of houses.

:blink:

There you go: Deserving it again (like I wrote in my first line above).

<sigh>

You have just used a kind of "straw man" tactic. And a very, very infantile one. You have just "agreed" (maths are not subjective) with "my" numbers (ditto), where I showed that a million houses would need only 0.2% of England's surface, or only less than 1% of the SE around London (less than 60 miles from London), and you write "building in Snowdonia and the Yorkshire Moors" ? !

How... (not sure what to say here: "dishonest"? "stupid"? "demented"? A combination of some/all? I really don't know.) is that?!

We need to encourage growth away from the South East. In the menatime before the new houses (on a massive scale are built)

"Encourage", maybe, but not force. Besides, Governments have been trying that for years. If people want to live in the south it is not your business to force them away. You are an authoritarian.

for those who want a home there are 300,000 units unsold in Ireland and 1 million in Spain.

Modern day Highland clearances. How very ethical of you.

BTW, just out of curiosity, are you still managing to retain any fantasy that you are a fair person??

Edited by Tired of Waiting

HOLA443

Sorry for not wishing to involve myself in the rather personal debate.

In the area I live the council have been forced to allow developing on a flood plain. That is just stupid, but by law they have to come up with a certain area of land to comply with the East of England development plan or face penalties. It’ll be interesting when it’s housed over and they have the first flood. I can remember as a boy being driven through that area by my late father with the water on either side of the car. They DOT routed the motorway along the valley edge just to avoid the drainage issues.

The planning laws are simply a disgrace and have always been politically motivated which is a huge waste, we’d benefit looking at how they do things abroad and learning.

HOLA444

Sorry for not wishing to involve myself in the rather personal debate.

In the area I live the council have been forced to allow developing on a flood plain. That is just stupid, but by law they have to come up with a certain area of land to comply with the East of England development plan or face penalties. It’ll be interesting when it’s housed over and they have the first flood. I can remember as a boy being driven through that area by my late father with the water on either side of the car. They DOT routed the motorway along the valley edge just to avoid the drainage issues.

The planning laws are simply a disgrace and have always been politically motivated which is a huge waste, we’d benefit looking at how they do things abroad and learning.

I agree. That sounds really stupid.

The planning laws and system as a whole is really a disgrace.

And I fully agree with your suggestion about looking at how they do things abroad and learning from it.

(Just one little thing. My debate with "Protect Rural England" is typical of a national debate going on about that, for quite a few years [decades?] already.)

HOLA445

I agree. That sounds really stupid.

The planning laws and system as a whole is really a disgrace.

And I fully agree with your suggestion about looking at how they do things abroad and learning from it.

(Just one little thing. My debate with "Protect Rural England" is typical of a national debate going on about that, for quite a few years [decades?] already.)

Trust me we'd not be have a debate like this abroad as housing is thought as much like food, a consumable.

HOLA446

One of things about NIMBYs is that they feel empowered (i think thats the trendy word for it) through the planning system. What they fail to realise is they really are not. The govt is the only body with the power in the planning system. Ok someone can lobby their local councillor and get an application refused but then it justs goes to appeal and central govt makes the decision. And trust me they really dont give a sh!t about a few local objectors especially on larger scale projects.

HOLA447

One of things about NIMBYs is that they feel empowered (i think thats the trendy word for it) through the planning system. What they fail to realise is they really are not. The govt is the only body with the power in the planning system. Ok someone can lobby their local councillor and get an application refused but then it justs goes to appeal and central govt makes the decision. And trust me they really dont give a sh!t about a few local objectors especially on larger scale projects.

I agree they soon get a shock when it goes to appeal, sadly it is the larger developments that get blocked due to our stupid system. The result is areas population density rockets and end up becoming dehumanised when just a new estate would have been better for all.

This anomaly afflicts major infrastructure project which disadvantages the whole country. The high speed rail link is a case in point, the cost to achieve this will end up far higher as objectors delay it and demand its route altered. That is a real problem in the UK and hinders us all with higher costs and makes the less competitive that our peers.

This issues is encapsulated in the debate seen when a new phone mask is needed. They all use mobiles but can't see the hypocrisy.

HOLA448
HOLA449