House Price Crash Forum

Hi

"No Development After Mine", of course, I searched for NODAM, no hits. But it's a much better acronym than NIMBY - especially in the South-East...

all those houses with wonderful views of fields - they were built on fields as well, buddy...

Good one.

Another favourite is BANANA - Build Absolutely Nothing Anywhere Near Anything (or Anyone)

...or don't build anything around me until I have sold mine with planning permission and ****** off. ;)

Hi

"No Development After Mine", of course, I searched for NODAM, no hits. But it's a much better acronym than NIMBY - especially in the South-East...

all those houses with wonderful views of fields - they were built on fields as well, buddy...

Excellent. :)

...or don't build anything around me until I have sold mine with planning permission and ****** off. ;)

BANANA SPLIT (man)?

2zssj09.jpg

I like NODAM, hope it catches on. There is way too much attitude of 'I've got mine, F#$# you'. NIMBY is good but doesn't quite catch the fact that they actually did support building things, when it came to their house and job.

Got mine as in, great pension, investments, house, etc.. All gotten from an age when Britain actually supported industry, including the pollution that comes with it, when we actually built houses.

I like NODAM, hope it catches on. There is way too much attitude of 'I've got mine, F#$# you'. NIMBY is good but doesn't quite catch the fact that they actually did support building things, when it came to their house and job.

Got mine as in, great pension, investments, house, etc.. All gotten from an age when Britain actually supported industry, including the pollution that comes with it, when we actually built houses.

+ 1

It is much better.

NIMBY has another problem, it implies that only neighbours complain about development, whilst in reality there is a general national mood and bias against developments anywhere in the country. Well, actually south-east residents are the main opposers, and they don't mind much if there are developments in the north... :rolleyes: where it is less needed! Or they even want government policies to push people northwards! :angry: The bleeding b@stards!

Anyway, back to the topic, NODAM is indeed much better than NIMBY

Someone could send this suggestion to PricedOut. Preferably someone with links there.

Actually PricedOut could even make a feature of it, with a tongue-in-cheek press release like "PricedOut is dumping NIMBY for NODAM". Humour can get the attention of the media. Perhaps even the BBC, if they pull the BBC's do-gooder strings.

Edited by Tired of Waiting

+ 1

It is much better.

NIMBY has another problem, it implies that only neighbours complain about development, whilst in reality there is a general national mood and bias against developments anywhere in the country. Well, actually south-east residents are the main opposers, and they don't mind much if there are developments in the north... :rolleyes: where it is less needed! Or they even want government policies to push people northwards! :angry: The bleeding b@stards!

Anyway, back to the topic, NODAM is indeed much better than NIMBY

Someone could send this suggestion to PricedOut. Preferably someone with links there.

Actually PricedOut could even make a feature of it, with a tongue-in-cheek press release like "PricedOut is dumping NIMBY for NODAM". Humour can get the attention of the media. Perhaps even the BBC, if they pull the BBC's do-gooder strings.

I know I am preaching to the converted, but in the UK no matter where something is proposed to be built, someone lives there, and those folks will be against it.

Therefore if I was King, I would simly pursue a national development strategy where I ordered the construction wherever it made the most rational sense. For example some harbours make naturally good ports. Some geographic features make putting a railroad along a certain path the rational choice. The development of some heavy industry makes sense to be expanded in specific areas.

And if people happen to live there and be negatively affected by a development, well that is too bad.

I know this is going to sound arrogant, but often people who are disempowered are more content. Say a new refinery was going to be built beside an existing refinery and petrochemical port facility. And of course the residents were against it, and upset.

If they knew there was absolutely nothing they could do to stop it, not even a public consultation meeting.. there would be no point worrying about it, because it would be completely outside their control.

:lol: TIRED OF WAITING

Here is something which might put you into orbit :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/user/supernatural2479

ENJOY :lol:

Personally, I'm coming round to the view that people can be as NIMBY as they like.

As long as they bear the cost.

By that, I mean: make local voters pay the housing benefit of local recipients; if they are happy to pay a high rate so that the "little people" who make their Lattes and mow their lawns can afford to live locally, then good luck to them.

If on the other hand they expect the rest of the country to subsidise their lifestyle, then tough luck <_<

:lol: TIRED OF WAITING

Here is something which might put you into orbit :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/user/supernatural2479

ENJOY :lol:

Brilliant! Thanks for the link "Protect Rural England". :rolleyes: Perfect, classic example of VI propaganda video by NIMBYs boomers. I've bookmarked it already! :D And also a perfect justification for the new "NO Development After Mine" - NODAM ! (I am sure all these people already have their houses built on that very same countryside.) Classic propaganda, in all aspects - soundtrack, images, etc. Highly recommended viewing.

Now, looking at the facts:

Residential Area: 720ha

Dwellings: 25,000

Residents: 60,000

Very interesting to note that the residential part of it uses only 720ha, to house 60,000, in 25,000 dwellings. So, despite the average density (35.7 dwellings/ha), it uses very little land.

For a better understanding of the space needed for housing, in relation to the size of Britain, or "Rural" :rolleyes: England, or even the south-east, at similar densities: (BTW, please do check my maths. These results keep surprising, even me.)

1 million dwellings, housing 2.4 million people, would need 28,800ha, or 288sq.km, which is only:

0.12% of Britain's surface (243,610 sq km), or

0.22% of England's (130,410 sq km)

( Please notice that these were not 1% and 2%, but a tenth of 1%, and a tenth of 2%, to house 2.4 million people. )

And even if we were to build all these houses in the south-east, less than 62 miles from London :

(100km radius = 31,415 sq km) it would need only 0.92% of this area.

If my calculation was correct, then this country is much bigger, and housing uses much less land, than your utterly immoral VI propaganda implies. Unless you were not aware of this fact, and were actually a victim of this propaganda. In which case you could admit to it, re-think, snap out of it, and move to the ethical side of this debate - our side (and probably your children's too). You will be welcomed. And if I made some mistake there, and we really don't have the space for more houses, I promise you I'll admit to it, apologise, and change my mind about it.

___________________________________________________________________________________________

http://www.harlownorth.com/facts_and_figures.php Harlow North, facts and figures: Total area:1,526 ha; Urban area: 1,100 ha; Residential Area: 720ha; Dwellings: c25,000; Residents: 60,000;

(Note: I have used only the residential area above as in most of the country we don't need more work space, schools etc., just a little more housing around existing communities.)

Edited by Tired of Waiting