House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ken_ichikawa

What Printer?

At work my boss is concerned about the printer we use. Its a HP laser printer apparently. The thing is the toner cartridges cost £130 each and we tend to use one toner every 2.5 weeks. They are supposed to last 10,000 print outs, but they seldom last more than 7000 I know this because the paper boxes are stored behind me and I can count the number of paper reims used up.

The cost he isn't happy about and it is ALL company printing. So does anybody have an alternative? a CISS type ink jet? Or would that wear out too quickly as said we go through 3000+ print outs a week!.

Thanks

Make sure you get one that can feed several different sizes of paper. Just measure one banknote of each denomination to get the correct measurements.

At work my boss is concerned about the printer we use. Its a HP laser printer apparently. The thing is the toner cartridges cost £130 each and we tend to use one toner every 2.5 weeks. They are supposed to last 10,000 print outs, but they seldom last more than 7000 I know this because the paper boxes are stored behind me and I can count the number of paper reims used up.

The cost he isn't happy about and it is ALL company printing. So does anybody have an alternative? a CISS type ink jet? Or would that wear out too quickly as said we go through 3000+ print outs a week!.

Thanks

Has he tried using non-brand toner cartridges? The ones for my Samsung are half the price of the branded ones and I've found no difference between them. Also try draft mode, double siding (to save paper and storage costs) or printing in reduced size if it is appropriate.

I'd suspect that that would bring your toner costs down by a half. Having said that, if you need to print a few thousand pages a week, then surely you are doing a lot of business and that should cover the couple of pennies a page? i.e. is he focussing on an irrelevancy? Or are people printing reams of crud?

Thanks

What are the printouts used for?

Look in detail at exactly what you are printing and why

- reduce or remove anything thats non-essential

- If these are invoices or letters you can often save significant sums with pre-printed letterhead stationery

- use draft mode

The most economical printers (whole life cost) are kyocera

£130? That sounds a lot. Is it colour or something?

We used to get cartridges for our old HP refilled for £24 but since moving have been using a Cartridge World for £40 cartridges.

Never had any problems with refilled or remanufactured cartridges.

Thanks for the suggestions.

But we can't set it to lower DPI or draft mode because they tend to be cost break downs etc. Clients also tend to demand 5-10 copies of each one which you can't exactly cheapen out on or charge more for even though really you should. These things are sent to clients I stick it on draft for internal documents anyway it still uses a shed load.

I think its expensive because its one of those where the drum or something or other is integral to the print cartridge.

The last one we bought was £127ish but that did include delivery.

I think its expensive because its one of those where the drum or something or other is integral to the print cartridge.

Kyocera do lasers with separate Drum / Toner. Might work out cheaper, or a lot cheaper if you get the manufacturer's page count out of the things.

The other option is refilling toners, much cheaper that way, usually involves soldering new resitors to the old toner cartridge though to reset them or some such trick.

Thanks

I manage 75 or so laser printers and I can tell you the following:

1) Newer printers from all suppliers have smaller cartridges that require changing more often.

2) Unless you are buying from a very reliable source, 3rd party toner is a very bad idea. I am not saying all of it is; just that there are a lot of cowboys and idiots out there. If you are lucky enough to find a good source, stick to it. I have had carts split open inside printers before now; for me 3rd party is not worth the grief.

3) HP laser printers tend to be the best all rounders. Brother are cheap to buy but expensive to run. I never knew oil was a printer consumable! Lexmark are absolutley terrible; I had one that was repaired 11 times in 18 months, until I finally managed to get someone higher up in L:exmark to authorise a replacement for the lemon we had.....

You don 't say if you need colour or mono. Assuming that a lot of your printing is mono, you could split the printing up to two different printers; one colour one mono. If you don't want to spend much, a second-hand HP 40x0n series for 5 years ago is an amazing buy for mono. I have three that are 7 years old, and have literally millions of prints on the clock. As long as you service them when they ask they go on forever. You would not get a new one like that now. By the way, the carts are £70 on Amazon, and are 10k size.